Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Announcements / New editor announcement (locked)
- - By Sven2 Date 2016-06-18 06:57
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2016-06-18 11:08
Wow, looks nice! Did you keep this secret until now, or was I just not idling enough in the dev channel? ;)
Suggestion for the landscape painting mode: Mirror mode, where each pixel placed gets mirrored to the other half of the map. Might be great to get a basic symmetric shape to paint over individually later for base meeles or similar?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2016-06-18 11:38 Edited 2016-06-18 11:44
Wow, this looks awesome! Really, ... man, this is so good! Thank you for the blog post, as well. Some feedback:
* flat chunks mode: is this just a display mode?
* landscape drawing - size selector: since the size is now only shown when you hover over the landscape, it is a bit inconvenient to go back and forth with the cursor from the selector to the landscape and back to check for the wanted size (-> perhaps also change size of brush by ctrl+scrollwheel?)
*  “player start” object: So the scenario text entry is obsolete now?
* object list: usually these get quite long. Perhaps add a method to filter them?
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2016-06-18 13:57

> * flat chunks mode: is this just a display mode?

It actually changes the landscape (because that was a lot easier to implement) and is saved as a setting in the Scenario.txt. But of course it's meant to be used like a display mode to fix landscape errors.

> * landscape drawing - size selector: since the size is now only shown when you hover over the landscape, it is a bit inconvenient to go back and forth with the cursor from the selector to the landscape and back to check for the wanted size (-> perhaps also change size of brush by ctrl+scrollwheel?)

Yes that's a good idea. Many functions need keyboard shortcuts.
The size preview is also a bit misleading (except in exact mode) because it always draws complete chunks. But at least you get a rough overview.

> *  “player start” object: So the scenario text entry is obsolete now?

In theory, it has always been obsolete because many scenarios set their materials and knowledge in InitializePlayer. In practice, many scenarios still use the old Scenario.txt settings because they are convenient and don't require writing script or opening the editor.

> * object list: usually these get quite long. Perhaps add a method to filter them?

Yes, good idea.
Parent - - By Mupf Date 2016-06-18 14:29

> The size preview is also a bit misleading (except in exact mode) because it always draws complete chunks. But at least you get a rough overview.

Would it be possible to have a semi-transparent preview of what exactly would happen when you click the mouse button? Like with placing objects?
Parent - By Sven2 Date 2016-06-18 14:56
I thought about it but it would be pretty complex to implement (basically pre-draw the landscape on a background surface and then display the difference).
Parent - - By Zeer [de] Date 2016-06-19 18:27
this really looks promising :)
i immediately downloaded the new snapshot, but i didn't find it, so will it come with one of the next snapshots?
and will it give us round options for very very easy selfmade-options too? i liked in early clonk versions, that even in player mode you could quickly save your own scenario, when for example add a monsters on the map for more challenge in a gold mine, etc.

but looks like this editor will help to have a lot more player developed content.
Parent - By Sven2 Date 2016-06-19 23:18
The editor is only available on a branch for now, so you'll have to build yourself from source. But I think I can merge into master soon!
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2016-06-20 21:39 Edited 2016-06-20 21:41
Impressive! Is this by any chance thread-separated to the point where you could do script debugging with this too?

Aside - has most of the development work moved back to the German-speaking community at this point? As an English forum lurker, development efforts just seem to appear out of thin air all the time...
Parent - By Sven2 Date 2016-06-20 21:55
Nope, it's all in the main thread.

Qt owns the main loop. Drawing could easily be put into a background thread, but I don't see the point for performance reasons.

I'm not so sure about scripting functionality. That seems like a whole new editor to me.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2016-06-20 22:06

>Aside - has most of the development work moved back to the German-speaking community at this point? As an English forum lurker, development efforts just seem to appear out of thin air all the time...

There is only this forum board, which contains some projects which German presentations. And then there also is the OC milestone project to which there is no clear way of linking since it is organized in several locations of which some are private.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter Date 2016-06-22 17:57

>And then there also is the OC milestone project to which there is no clear way of linking since it is organized in several locations of which some are private.

The trello Boards are public!
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2016-06-23 06:34
Ah cool, also the OC board on clonkspot.org? Because then I really need to edit my post.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2016-06-23 06:53
No, that one is as private as grandma's piggy bank
Parent - By Nachtfalter Date 2016-06-23 15:40
Not anymore!
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2016-06-23 14:04
It may become public (there's a vote)
Parent - - By KKenny Date 2016-06-23 14:12
Why is it private in the first place?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-06-23 14:17
The idea (not mine though) was that a secluded development free from harmful (/fruitless) discussions would be more productive.
Parent - - By KKenny Date 2016-06-23 14:25 Edited 2016-06-23 14:27
Dunno but I think you're missing out a few "productive" discussions with new/excluded people as well.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2016-06-23 14:32
please stop discussing OK thats not fruitful

also ur stoopid
Parent - By KKenny Date 2016-06-23 15:02
We should discuss this in private!
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-06-23 14:32
Yeah, you do. From what I heard during discussions (hah, the irony), apparently this forum transfers the vibe that OC development is all talk and not productive because everything is talked to death.
The milestone project though experienced quite some discussions on development which is an inevitable process when collaborating in a team. I guess that's part of why the attitude towards openness changed.
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2016-06-23 15:08
I think it works like this:

New Contributor A: "Hey I have an idea we should completely redesign the game to be a MMO."
New Contributor B: "Great! We should also make it a FPS."
New Contributor A: "I'm glad we agree! Devs, we need full Gopher support for our project!"
Grumpy old dev: "Impossible, fundamental changes, impossible, years of work, blah blah"
New Contributors: "Please give us a private forum so we can develop our ideas freely!"

(months later)

New Contributors: "Our work is done! The final result is that we have added a new type of tree."
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-06-23 15:09
:D
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2016-06-23 15:17
XD
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2016-06-23 20:23
We need a repository commit livefeed in the header ;-)
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2016-06-20 22:22
I looked into this shortly and think that script debugging should be possible. The existing debugger can only be controlled over the network, but looks easy to adapt. Does anyone know whether that code still works?
Up Topic General / Announcements / New editor announcement (locked)