Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Community / Player Creations / Winter food
- - By Armin [de] Date 2016-09-24 11:06 Edited 2020-08-16 08:27
Winter food

Your chieftain from Goltrot waits for a package full of winter food from the adjacent settlement. The messanger, who was supposed to bring it to your village, disappeared on half his way.

You and a bunch of knights go and try to take the winter food back or even better: Bring the messanger back as well.

The scenario is finished when one finds the said food bag and brings it back home. Tip: There is a normal and a good ending!

--------------------------

German & English language.

Update 16th August 2020 (See Author.txt for full changelog)
OpenClonk 9 compatibility by Kanibal.

(Download the scenario using mods in OC9!)
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2016-09-24 23:35
Yeah an adventure :D

I didn't understand the sequence when I found the food. There were some firestones to the right and they didn't really do anything. But the sharks coming out of their hiding place were really cool! Overall it was lots of fun.

It's nice to see someone make an adventure. Do you have any feedback on the editor usage?
Parent - - By Armin [de] Date 2016-09-25 09:52
I'm sure the firestones did a lot! But it was unlogical that the shooter of these firestones was still in her old position after this happened. I fixed this and added a new dialog which makes it a bit more understandable what just happened there. It would be even better if the firestones are quickly being shot one after another but well...

>feedback

The string table thing that was already discussed on Clonkspot is ofc a bit annoying (unless you might have a shell script that takes all strings from the String table and replaces the texts in the Objects.c) but for me, it feels like a professional "Age of ~" editor from Ensemble Studios so it is very good. Recently, I feared that the holes, that the wipf is always digging, overwrite the LandscapeFg.bmp but the holes don't get saved - which is good.

One small thing: When you or someone scripts the gravestone, it would be cool to give it a custom text in the editor like the signs.
Parent - - By Luchs Date 2016-09-25 10:14

> I feared that the holes, that the wipf is always digging, overwrite the LandscapeFg.bmp but the holes don't get saved - which is good.

However, the Wipfs will get stuck if you save the landscape while they're in the hole. I'm not sure whether there's a good solution for that.
Parent - By Armin [de] Date 2016-09-25 14:44
lol... Updated...
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2016-09-25 13:00
Also managed to finish it. The sharks are nice indeed. Is one supposed to build a settlement? I managed with loam and basements to pass the sharks. And there is some strings to be fixed for US: "Erbsen" and "$Goal1".
Parent - By Armin [de] Date 2016-09-25 14:59
Fixed the strings (again...).

>Is one supposed to build a settlement?

Kinda since my personal way of doing this was always with a grappling bow and I was careful with generating loam. But I never expect all Clonkers do it the way I want, at least you are using a hammer.
Parent - - By Apfelclonk Date 2016-09-25 16:11
I needed several tries, since I got killed by the sharks. I finished the goal by building a loam bridge at the first sea and a long bridge with basements over the shark sea. That was quite repetitive and easy. I'd suggest to disable basements, they are sort of adventure killers, or replace most of the rock with granite or sand, so one could build such a bridge partly easy with the given rocks, but needs to finds an additional solution to pass over the shark sea (or put even more effort into blasting granite). Also I think the scenario could need some more decorative elements (the flowers are awesome!), like grass on the right side of the map and give some slighty different value to the grass under water. Also there could be some more story telling elements. Having a monolog, when collecting the bag (btw. if one does dig away the ashes and catch the bag, one still has to climb up to its location to trigger the event), saying that this must be the bag, and talking about the reaction that one receives from others coming succesfully home. Another thing would be adding a small message onto the messengers tombstone, if not replacing it by a dead body and another monolog with oneselve. I really like the part at the left, with the labyrinitish mine system. It could be even much bigger, and having some trouble hidden (like bridges which break, when stepping on them) or a small puzzle, or mean bats/ice (winter is coming, no?) stalactites.

I think with some polish it could be a small and very sweet adventure.

I think there is always a problem with these scenarios. One doesn't know how much settlement is requestet, which queries the expectations (at least for me), because I love settling but I'm always feared to find out that there is a much easier solution without any bigger efforts too. For sure that isn't bad per se, since people like having multiple ways to tackle a scenario. On the other hand one doesn't want to have every scenario having the same feature of building a complete basic settlement structure to get certain tools.
Parent - - By Armin [de] Date 2016-09-25 17:17
Thank you, I took the most important things and disabled the basements now, added bats plus some earth material beneath the bag.

I was always using the "respawn at flagpole" rule and gave each player 25 gold but respawning never worked, I do not know why at the moment. The rule works when I add it in Gold Rush.
Parent - By Sven2 Date 2016-09-25 20:56
Maybe a clonk has to be available in base materials?

Anyway, the objects should be changed so this is easier to set up in the editor.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-09-27 12:22
I tried yesterday and got eaten by the sharks. :(

Will try again, maybe today!
- - By Kanibal Date 2020-08-09 11:51
Good work! Sven2 and me played the scenario yesterday, we encountered some issues when running the scenario with OpenClonk-9.
I created a patch for that (see attachment). It might break compatibility with OpenClonk-8, but I suppose that's okay.
Attachment: 0001-winterfood-fixed.diff (26k)
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2020-08-10 02:36
Can't we just update the scenario for v9? I don't think anyone would remember to apply a diff.
Parent - By Kanibal Date 2020-08-11 00:31
Sure! I did that right after our round. See https://mods.openclonk.org/uploads/d8614f2b138f471b8a38262d2b4ae60b
IRC chat suggested to reach out to the original author on the forum, so I added the diff here.
Parent - By Armin [de] Date 2020-08-16 08:35
Thanks a lot! I just had to test mods.openclonk.org but it made 0% sense to upload an OC 8 scenario to a mod system that's OC 9 exclusive. :D I updated the mod (version 1.4 now with your changes) and deleted the redundant attachment in this thread.
Up Topic Community / Player Creations / Winter food