Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / please add local multiplayer
- - By ZainTalpur [pk] Date 2016-12-05 18:40
dear open clonk team

many thanks for making such a great game but as you see community have grown to many countries and not all are developed one many players belong to developing countries where internet speed rarely cross 100 Kb/s so online multiplayer is so lagging that we cant play it online and also we cant afford to have pc to each family member playing this game my previous played clonk game is clonk rage and its been around 6-7 years i am playing the game with local multiplayer and have enjoied a lot with my 2 brothers but now open clonk have replaced it and you have also simplified the controls so plz add local multiplayer. sorry for my poor english
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2016-12-05 19:09
Do you have gamepad like the xbox controller? We are currently slowly developing controls for these and hopefully then enabling local multiplayer again. You can help us by testing gamepad controls.
Parent - By ZainTalpur [pk] Date 2016-12-06 11:04
will be pleased to test controller :) thank u for ensuring local multiplayer
Parent - - By Luchs Date 2016-12-05 19:12
Local multiplayer is definitely on the roadmap. I've been working a bit on the game's gamepad support, but there are unfortunately still a few blockers (can't control menus yet, menus and the HUD are broken in split-screen). Consequently, it won't be in the next release (8.0, possibly at the end of this year?), but hopefully in 9.0 at some point in 2017.

We won't be able to do local multiplayer without additional hardware (i.e. gamepads) as the mouse or some other analog control is required in OC, but  a gamepad is a lot cheaper than another computer, obviously.
Parent - By ZainTalpur [pk] Date 2016-12-06 11:12
gamepads are good for us and easy to afford we have already 2-3 gamepads present currently will check them out on newer versions of open clonk

thank u for reply dear :)
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2016-12-06 13:32
Why is menu control blockig it?
Don't you just control the mouse crosshair with analog sticks when you have gamepad controls? I don't know how gamepad controls work, because my gamepad doesn't work.
But shouldn't it behave just like mouse and keyboard expect that you control the mouse cursor with analog stick instead of mouse?
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-12-06 14:40
That's not how it works currently, no.
While it certainly is possible, to have another virtual cursor for gamepad controls, this style of input is very clumsy and will frustate everyone with a gamepad. Controlling a cursor with an analog stick isn't nearly as precise as with a regular mouse. It's either too slow too reach certain areas on the screen or too fast to make precise control inputs (remember, you'll have to be able to aim with bows or similar weapons).

Right now, as soon as you aim with a weapon, you can control a virtual cursor on a circle around your clonk which is relatively easy to do. Still, making a competetive gamepad control scheme is very hard, nearly impossible. Mouse players will always be a bit better.
Parent - By Luchs Date 2016-12-06 17:34
Multiple mouse cursors aren't currently supported. The gamepad crosshair is fully implemented in script.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / please add local multiplayer