Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] Musket & Bow
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-04 04:09 Edited 2009-08-15 00:49
I guess I thought I'd try something a little simpler this time. Multiple alpha textures on the same mesh wasn't fun to configure properly, but I got it working. So far, I only have a low poly mesh, but a high poly for Icons and whatnot will be fairly simple to make.

Infos:
110 polys. Not much room for optimization though, as I started modelling with low-poly in mind.

I realize this looks more like a blunderbuss than a musket, so if the style needs to be changed this can be easily done. Ironically, I already have a real musket (high-poly) I made in anim8or some time ago, but I don't think it fits the clonk style.

I apologize, but I cannot seem to attach anything but images to my posts without my internet dying. I'll have to use filefront unless I'm at a wifi hotspot.

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Attachment: RealMusket.jpg (7k)
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2009-08-04 11:02
hm. maybe you could optimize it by making those little parts, like where you push to shoot, as polygons with a texture and an alphamap. if the pipe is really open at the front, you could close it and just make a black spot and combine it with a normalmap.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-04 14:12 Edited 2009-08-04 14:18
Both already done. :)

Though I don't think the ogre engine supports normal maps :(

to Ape: I'll fiddle with it tomorrow I think; I've been awake for about 16 hours... I need some sleep!
Parent - - By Ape [fi] Date 2009-08-04 12:07
Clonk has a little cartoonish theme, but I think that the barrel should be thinner.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-05 00:22
Allright, here's the updated model. Thinner barrel to be more musket-esque.

Attachment: musket.blend (434k)
Parent - By Newton [es] Date 2009-08-15 16:58
A small comment on this model after I actually looked at the .blend file to clarify my point in the comment to the arrows and the guideline. Even in 64x64, you can see the that the thing above the hammer plus the whole end of the gun is just something around 5x5 pixels big. In-game, you will most probably not see this at all. The round metal ring in the front you can't see at all. But still, the most polygons of the almost 200 faces are in these areas.

On that note: Alpha maps are not implemented yet but Clonk-Karl aims to do this. But most probably, he will implement it to be one UV mapped texture for the whole model.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-11 01:10
It seems trivial to make another topic for the bow. Took me about 10 minutes to model and animate. I'm not very sure how this will be implemented ingame, but here it is.

Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-08-11 11:26
I'd like to have the arrow longer. Perhaps more like this - http://www.andreaterzolo.it/immagine111.jpg (from the length). The bow is cool
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-11 21:13
Quickly resized; looks less like a spear now. :)

Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-08-14 15:36
Ah, and while you are at it, can you create an arrow-pack, too? With little effort, you could also create other arrow-types. Perhaps the old ones, perhaps you have even new ideas. The packs should be visually distinguishable from each other.

Ah, and even for small objects, don't forget to post the model file at the end :-)
Parent - - By tinu [ch] Date 2009-08-14 17:54
a arrow connected to a rope would be nice. shoot the arrow up to the mountain and you can lift yourself at the rope (probably not proper english...).
Parent - By MrBeast [de] Date 2009-08-14 17:58
The problem is just you have to make a good rope phyisc ;)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-14 22:06
I made a couple different arrow types, as well as packed arrows meshes. For now the arrow pack and arrow types are modular, not all individual meshes. If I get satisfactory results for the arrows, I'll compact them into seperate meshes.

Arrows:
*Fire Arrow
*Dynamite Arrow - normal explosive
*Bomb Arrow - Frag Explosion (something like flak)?

Attachment: bow.blend (569k)
Parent - By Ape [fi] Date 2009-08-15 07:29
Poisoned arrow would be also nice to have.
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-08-15 16:35 Edited 2009-08-15 16:48
Arrow barbecue! Anything on a stick! :P -
Dynamite on an arrow really looks odd here, as well as these bomb arrows (how can they fly?) which look more like boxing glove arrows to knock you out. Perhaps we can come back to that later, when the arrow types really get implemented. The band to hold the arrows together looks imo too swollen. It could be very plain (just a cylinder with few polygons) with the strings just drawn on the texture.

Another thing:
I downloaded the .blend and I noticed that the arrow pack has something around 250 faces, just the band alone has almost 100. Additionally, to create differently colored areas like the string on the band, you created extra polygons to set another material there. It is much easier to first think about which details could go into the texture (and which geometric details are really needed) than having to remove them later. With that many faces, we might not be able to include them later in the game.
Are you generally modelling like this (color details are extra polygons, materials instead of textures) or just in this case? For these objects it might not be soo important for now but for vehicles and structures it's critical.

Edit:
Did you read this?: http://wiki.openclonk.org/w/Modelling_Workflow
Parent - By Travis Date 2009-08-15 23:30

>as well as these bomb arrows (how can they fly?) which look more like boxing glove arrows to knock you out

imo they look very clonkish. It doesn't matter if they can fly in reality or something. I even like the idea of having them in the game, with a heavy *poufch* sound when they hit something.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-17 03:36
Hmm, I agree dynamite arrows seem quite odd. I was thinking they could possibly look like an arrow with a stick of dynamite tied around the shaft of the arrow instead ( if they would be used).

Bear in mind I haven't spent any time optimizing the bow & arrow models yet; I wasn't even sure what might be used or not. However, for the arrow pack, I must admit I was unaware of the very high polycount. However, as the meshes are modular it will be very simple to replace the pack with a much better mesh. When there are different polygons for a different colour, it is because the mesh already had these polygons and it was convenient to colour them as such.  I haven't done much low-poly modelling so I suppose that was an accident of habit. The thing is, I believe I haven't had chance to do this with the other models I have worked on simply because of their shape. For instance, on the sturmnatter model I made a metal ring under the rail of the ship by colouring the first loop of faces the metal texture. It wasn't planned, but it was convenient.

Also, I did read modelling workflow; very helpful guidelines and tips. :)
Parent - By Anonymous [de] Date 2009-08-16 12:19
Wow... really nice. I'm really amazed.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-09-16 01:03
Recently did some tweaking to the arrow pack mesh, as well as created a texture for it. Thought I might as well practice texturing with something simple. :p

Now the arrow pack has only 82 polys :D (now that I finally got back to this project...). Well, all's well and good, but I thought a much better idea for the arrows would be to have them as 1 or 2 polygons each instead of 230 polys plus, just for a stack of arrows.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] Musket & Bow