Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Editor Video Tutorials
- - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-12 19:40 Edited 2018-03-12 19:43
You really forget the time when talking about stuff. When I was done, I was very surprised this came out as 30 minutes long!

Typical spam email intro text

Well, yeah. A new release, a cool major feature. And it's very possible that new people do not immediately understand this Editor at all. And have no idea what developing for Clonk means! And to be hip and cool these days, you have to make tutorial videos!
But. I guess 30 minutes for just the first video is too much. Too much of an infodump here. Information that is not used right away and therefore of no further interest but still in the video. I tried to explain all details of the Editor and when watching it afterwards, I thought to myself, that it is not that important to understand every little detail. Like zoom factor or such.

So, I will do another attempt and streamline the video better. 10 minutes max is my goal, to just show how to open the Editor, the main tools and features and have a scenario created.

If you find the time, you can watch this and give me further feedback on how to go about this. Or tell me that I suck at this and should never do it again ever. Oh and by the way, the video is in German for all our German fanbase! But we should probably also do things in English.

Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-12 19:44
Also, my microphone adds a wobbliness to the audio but I hope it's not too bad. It's a cheap mic with a DIY pop filter!
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2018-03-13 20:51
Doesn't sound that bad actually
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2018-03-12 22:28
Very precise!

I thought we used Zoom=8 for our scenarios because that makes the landscape look better. I think there could be hint in the editor saying this as well.

And in the object list there are still quite some objects selectable that do not make sense or do not have an editor interface, which may confuse newcomers.

Will you also detail how to use special objects, in an arena one could explain the moving brick and waypoint placement, and for example bubbling lava (decoration) with rectangle selection.
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-12 23:07
Showcasing objects that are well designed for the editor is a good idea, yes!
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-14 00:57

> And in the object list there are still quite some objects selectable that do not make sense or do not have an editor interface, which may confuse newcomers.

Just a quick note here, also responding to what you wrote in IRC: I'd rather make these tutorials using the 8.1 release (when we release) to have it more 'official' and not confuse people by having it look different from they got.
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2018-03-14 02:13

> And in the object list there are still quite some objects selectable that do not make sense [...]

The object list is also broken right now. It seems to miss some objects (e.g. I could not see the player clonk and contents).
Parent - By Maikel Date 2018-03-14 07:07
I meant the object creation list, for which I fixed a few things.
Parent - By Sven2 [us] Date 2018-03-13 04:00
I love the slowness of the video! We should collect these on a wiki page and link that page directly from the editor welcome window.
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2018-03-13 20:50
Cool! I just took a quick look into parts of it and I think this one covers exactly what I once planned to make (but didn't finish due to lack of time for me right now). I think I might actually make a video about some gameplay tips and tricks like some basic and advanced skills, like windbag jumps, dynamite/ironbomb/explosion jumps, two player windbag combo jumps, and stuff like that.

As Sven2 already said, the slowness of the video and the level of detail of your explanations should make it really easy for absolute beginners to understand the functionality of the editor. And the very basics of the editor, such as how do I start the editor, how do I make my first scenario and what do all the things in the editor do are pretty much covered.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-14 00:58
Thanks!

I just fear the average millenial will not watch 30 minutes of detailed explanation!
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2018-03-14 20:02
True. Might be a good idea then to also have a rather shorter tutorial video of ~10 minutes per part and a bit faster progression.
Parent - By Mupf [de] Date 2018-03-16 16:32

>I just fear the average millenial will not watch 30 minutes of detailed explanation!

I think it'd be a good idea to structure everything there is to know and write down a script. Then chop it up in small bits.
For the first video for example I'd just quickly show how to load up a new scenario, draw a basic landscape and place some objects without configurating them.
In-depth explanations of the UI or how dialog works or how to use the scene object and so on can each be done in a seperate video.

Don't get me wrong, your video does a good job explaining everything to someone who has already found the editor and is interested. But shorter, more compact stuff could help hooking newbies.
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Editor Video Tutorials