Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Creating new arena scenario!
- - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-16 00:01
The arenas have been met with many complaints (boringness, mainly). So, this is my attempt on creating more exciting arena rounds, starting with a small one!

It has been extensively playtested (3 times) and turned out pretty solid. It employs the same mechanism than Hot Ice, so it's a guaranteed win.

I hereby license the file Arena01.ocs under the CC-BY license
Attachment: Arena01.ocs (7k)
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-16 00:03
pls play and give feedback
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2018-03-16 00:22
ala and me also designed a melee once. But it always crashed the engine. But maybe that's fixed now!
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-16 00:23
That's a pretty weird design.
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2018-03-16 14:21

>It employs the same mechanism than Hot Ice, so it's a guaranteed win.

Yay, another Hot Ice variant :D
I suppose you mean the scoring mechanism with multiple rounds and having to be first when winning to win the whole game.
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-16 14:28

> I suppose you mean the scoring mechanism with multiple rounds and having to be first when winning to win the whole game.

Yes!
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2018-03-16 23:57
I like the instant collection of the weapons. And loved the absence of a sword.

The map however felt a bit static, it is a bit tedious to move back up again, so you fight mainly in the middle and below.

How about turning it around, you start at the bottom, and move up to get items. And while you are at it, lava rises from the bottom.. >:>
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-17 04:01

> however felt a bit static

Well, it is static ;)

> it is a bit tedious to move back up again, so you fight mainly in the middle and below.

Yeah, that is also intended. Being on high ground is - unsurprisingly - a huge advantage. Therefore I placed the stronger weapons down below and nothing of too much use in the upper part. Getting down, getting good gear and then back up should be a real fight. Because being up high and having good gear will severely increase your winning chances. Ideally, the scenario is a race to the bottom, followed by a race to the top (which means it shouldn't be easy to get back up because other people will fight you for it). With the grenade launcher, players at the bottom get a chance to climb up again.
So, it doesn't sound like your playtest went hughly in a wrong direction.

> How about turning it around, you start at the bottom, and move up to get items.

It'll increase the benefit for players getting up. Double benefit in this case: being high up and getting better gear. So, essentially, whoever wins the race is likely to win the match. Not a style of scenario I'm opposed to per se but nothing I had in mind with this one.

> And while you are at it, lava rises from the bottom.. >:>

And that does sound like a completely different scenario. ;) Again, nothing that we shouldn't explore but I'd rather explore it with a different scenario. Also, keep in mind that this scenario would triple the benefit! Adding to the aforementioned two, that your attacks, even if they are weak attacks, can turn lethal in an instance (because falling down kills).
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2018-03-17 09:58

>I placed the stronger weapons down below and nothing of too much use in the upper part.
> Because being up high and having good gear will severely increase your winning chances.

Ah, yes that is true. Good thinking. Well, it works as intended, and it is a race to the bottom indeed.

After that you race a bit up again, to get some room - maybe if you are a camper you try getting to the top, but no one did in our couple of rounds.
But basically the urge to move around and get weapons mostly stops at this point.

I just wonder how to spice things up. Maybe add Chippie Eggs or something as weapons that forces players to move around.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2018-03-17 10:40
You could add a lever that spawns some chippies randomly (not at the lever).
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-17 14:34
Chippies would, for the most part, just end up at the bottom and make that part inaccessible.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2018-03-17 10:43
I don't like some of the edges in the landscape which force you to climb, this is always annoying in melees as aiming/reloading stops. So I attached a version with a few rounded brick edges.

I also don't like the shield spawn. It is hard to get and leads to defensive play, I would replace the shield with the lantern or the smoke bomb (once it really blocks the view of players).
Attachment: Arena02.ocs (7k)
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Creating new arena scenario!