Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
- - By Maikel Date 2018-03-30 14:28
Cable cars must make it into OC 9.0! Already lots of work done by Clonkonaut, Randrian and Artists, so we need to pick this up again and start to fix the small issues and do testing.

In a recent series of commits I fixed some small issues and improved network code a little and Clonkonaut and I also already tested cable lorries once in a real life set up in Horrid Highway which went okayish.

The current state is a test scenario where I added a few unit tests (see screenshot for an impression).

My next steps will be power consumption and the user interface and to add the cable cars to horrid highway, so that we can do some test rounds soon. Suggestions are welcome as always.
Attachment: cablecars.png (807k)
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2018-03-31 09:53
Glad to see someone picks them up :)
And glad to see all those old concept getting realized one by one, thank you!
- By Maikel Date 2018-03-30 14:32
Regarding power consumption, I think it is essential to have this, we will make setting up the system very cheap in material costs, but a little power consumption would be nice in my opinion.

I think to makes thing easy having one cable station in a power range would be enough and then maybe one bulb of power per running cable car.
- - By Maikel Date 2018-03-31 10:46
For fun I made a small tower riddle with the cable cars, you can try it now with the snapshot.
Attachment: OCTowerVCableCars.ocs (982k)
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2018-03-31 14:18

>you can try it now with the snapshot

Snapshots are broken right now. You either have to build from source or need to wait until automated snapshots are working again.
- - By Maikel Date 2018-04-09 19:06
So, in order to have clear paths for the cable cars on overhanging cliffs it is needed to place the stations at least at 45 degree angles. I think the easiest solution would be to extend the constructor library to have this implemented on space, if the structure allows this. Similarly we could then also use this for woodenbridges at an angle. If there are no better suggestions by tomorrow I will give this a try.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2018-04-09 19:12
Altenatively, the stations could reach outward on both sides.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2018-04-09 20:30
Indeed, but not currently possible with the graphics the station has.
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-04-09 23:04
You could add something to the construction previewer that, after the spot has been selected (with a click), you can then rotate the preview (within certain restraints) and accept that with another click. So two clicks to place the construction site.
Parent - By Caesar Date 2018-04-10 00:20
I foresee a problem: you may not be able to place a building upright, but it has space if you rotate it. You may have to check different angles when evaluating a position, or something.

Might make for clonkier base designs, if we allow this for windmills, too.