Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / [Project] Codename: Modern Combat
- - By Michael14 Date 2018-03-30 18:11

CMC for Open Clonk?

Many players keep asking: "Where is the version of Codename: Modern Combat for Open Clonk?"
Easy answer: There is none... yet.

There were first steps in the year 2016 with initial development and concepts but with no success - it proved really, really difficult to establish a first base of content as all gameplay mechanics from Clonk Rage had to be modified, scrapped or altered completely to even remain playable and - most importantly - fun.

So: We try again. Clonk is a great series and personally, we'd love to contribute to it's survival in the vast sea of video games today.
For that to happen, we'd like to scan the community for new members - mainly guys into the programming part of Open Clonk, and also, those who'd still be interested in playing CMC in Open Clonk.

Wait, what is CMC?

Codename: Modern Combat (in short: CMC) is a expansion pack for Clonk Rage, based on the popular Hazard expansion.
It features arena-style shooter gameplay with a heavy focus on teamwork and tactics.
CMC is one of the oldest Clonk Rage modifications that has been arround since 2010 and is still maintained to this day.

What do you have so far? What do you need?

Apart from lots of concepts, initial UI graphics and other graphics and sound material, a 3D graphics guy, some betatesters and a all purpose - but not programming - project manager? Not much, really.
As mentioned, we'd need to confirm who'd be interested in a Open Clonk project like this and if we'd find programmers to create a first little playable pack which mainly focuses in proving one thing:
The gameplay of CMC working in Open Clonk and - again, most importantly - beeing fun.

After that had been achieved, everything else whould follow.
Of course, OC CMC already has to be different because of the wide array of differences between Open Clonk and Clonk Rage, but the important part isn't to port all features without any changes or to make them simply fit in Open Clonk, but to create gameplay that features similiar varity and depth to it like the version of Clonk Rage offers.

In short: You like...

* Arena-style gameplay for Open Clonk?
* Modern shooters with a clonk-ish twist to it?
* Easy to understand, but hard to master gameplay mechanics?
* Gameplay building arround teamwork and depth in tactics?

Look no further and please feel free to contact us, CMC is probably right up your alley!

Play the current version on Clonk Rage

The project sounds interesting and you'd like to test out the concepts in a real match?
You can take aim on classic Clonk Rage and play the latest version of Codename: Modern Combat right now and see the gameplay mechanics, maps and balancing in action!

> CCAN Download Page ( / )

Additional links

> CCF Project Page ()
> Clonk Spot Forum ()
> Clonk Wiki Article ()

Parent - By Fulgen [at] Date 2018-03-30 18:15

>who'd be interested in a Open Clonk project like this and if we'd find programmers to create a first little playable pack which mainly focuses in proving one thing:

Here, here!
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-30 21:10
Very nice. :)
I already got excited when wasserwipf started modelling stuff in OC! I can offer to do a few minor things (as my main coding effort will probably be to improve the main game content) and of course be of any help when it comes to scripting problems. And of course, we do wish to accomodate third party objects by incorporating changes / system into the main game that you need. So we can work closely together.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-30 22:02
On a side note: I do have rough beginning of a Firearms library (currently on hold because of the new menu design) but I sure could work with you / your team together, to adapt it to your needs. In which case you wouldn't have to script weapons / ammo handling from scratch.
Parent - - By Marky Date 2018-03-30 22:05
So you had one, too :D
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-30 22:07
I actually only recently made it since I figured your shooter library might be outdated.
Parent - - By Marky Date 2018-03-30 22:11
It really depends what you want to do and how you understand outdated - it is entirely possible that I'd design it differently, but it was based on Zappers code in Caedes with more modularity and options. It contains a lot of thinking that went into different possibilities for firearms, as well as primary and secondary fire modes with left and right mouse button. If we can join the efforts that would be even better.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-30 22:20
I'll try to rough out a working test version soon!
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2018-03-30 22:23
You could have a look at the existing code and make suggestions, too. Are you working on a fork or is it a separate project?
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-30 22:38
It's separate. Sorry! :)
Parent - By Marky Date 2018-03-31 12:26
Regarding outdated-ness: Actually, the only things that I regard outdated are:
* Projectile hit check => could be more modular, because the logic is the same (but separate from the OC hit check effect, because I did not want to modify the main game to suit my needs
* The firearm implementation itself => might be too complex, although the concepts are simple.

The whole thing was designed so that it can handle different types of shooters with the same basic code, as well as different rule-sets in one game itself (think an "Instagib" mode that modifies the existing weapon). You can have multiple fire modes, weapon sway can be modded in, etc. The ammo system is flexible enough that you can have magazine style reloading from inventory, or a simple ammo system as in Hazard.
Parent - By Marky Date 2018-03-30 22:03
I'd like to help you, because I like the design of the original pack, and because I think that we can both profit from the cooperation. If you do not want to use the existing shooter library, no problem. We discussed this already, and the library may even be outdated after about 3 years of sporadic development. Anyway, since I have other projects going on, I'll most likely be able to help you with specific content that I can work on for one or two weeks at a time - the only thing that I need is direction from your side, and a repository.
Parent - - By Mupf Date 2018-03-31 10:06
I'm extremely excited that this project is given another shot.
If you need beta testing, opinions, proofreading, translation or voice acting I'm happy to help. I do have basic programming knowledge, but I doubt it's enough to really contribute to the project.
Parent - - By Michael14 Date 2018-03-31 13:57
Thanks, glad to read that, didn't know you are still arround Mupf, how's it going? =D
Parent - - By Mupf [de] Date 2018-04-03 17:10
Oh, I've never been gone! I check the forums almost daily, lurking around. I just rarely find the time to actually play or develop :(
Parent - By Michael14 Date 2018-04-04 10:43
Hopefully we'll maybe see each other in short round sometime, you missed some updates =D
Parent - - By Wasserwipf [ch] Date 2018-04-14 00:34 Edited 2018-04-14 00:41

I created a packshot with our current WIP graphics :)

Next Y'all will get actual Wallpaper material, so stay tuned :)
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2018-04-14 10:18
Awesome!
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2018-04-14 13:18
Hm. You know, he looks like a tired boy, a child soldier.
Parent - - By Wasserwipf [ch] Date 2018-04-14 15:48
That was the easiest way to get rid of the Deathstare. You got any Ideas how he could look manlier? Then again considering a bit of the lore it is kinda fitting if he's not that old...
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2018-04-14 18:18
Give him a manly beard!
Sunglasses also get rid of the death stare.
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2018-04-21 18:12
It actually looks pretty cool what you've got so far. If there's any help needed for scripting or sounds/music I can help out there.

Btw, I just made a radio announcement voice sample. I think this could be used for CMC. If you want to, I can make announcements for everything you want to be announced.
Attachment: funkspruch1.wav - Radio Transmission Voice (192k)
Parent - - By Michael14 Date 2018-04-23 13:50 Edited 2018-04-23 13:55
Thank you and thanks for your offer, scripting abilities are always good to have as Open Clonk sadly requires a new start when it comes to code in general.

We whould need to organize who does what exactly as we currently got Marky and Clonkonaut stationed on programming tasks but generally, more help whould relief work load on everyone so that whould be awesome =)

The most important things at the moment are weapon mechanics, a bunch of equipment items, scenario standard mechanics for gameplay, a game mode and other stuff.

Sounds are somewhat on my list of tasks but having someone doing voice over specifically whould be really useful, too.
Rage CMC does not feature any speech other than a load of screams regarding damage, death and attacking someone (though these are pretty important, too) - having a 'radio guy' announcing important game mechanics whould be really interesting, e.g.

'We have lost objective' + 'A'
Warning + 'Only' + '5' + 'minutes left'
An ally marked a target with a tracer dart, all units with rocket launchers: Fire at will!
Objective + B + has been destroyed, + retreat to the next sector!

We are early in development though, so that is somewhat a future thing to think of - if I had to guess, such voice over whould be accompanied by text messages in a news feed on screen, so it whould make sense to have all voice-related sounds in English only, that whould cut voice work and required space in half without compromising players playing in German.

Please contact me if you got some time every now and then and the mentioned stuff seems interesting to you =)

[Edit]
Your sample is nice, I could provide similiar radio static effects for your voice overs =D
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2018-04-23 17:41

>so it whould make sense to have all voice-related sounds in English only, that whould cut voice work and required space in half without compromising players playing in German.

Localizing sounds wouldn't be that hard since you can use localized strings like Format("%sradiolostobjectivea*", "$language$") on sounds as well (or just put it into a global func that does this job of translating to localized strings so you don't have to put in Format all the time). Though, I do agree that it would increase the size of the package. How much it would, would depend on the number and lenght of the recordings, but as I know from Knüppeln, I have converted all the WAV sounds to much smaller OGG sounds and that reduced the filesize a lot (from something around 10 MB to ~1 MB). Anyway, we might see how big this is when all radio annoucements have been recorded and could then decide if we want additional german radios or just stay with english ones.

Anyhow, this sounds interesting to me.
- - By Michael14 Date 2018-03-31 10:53

General Design Examples

CMC is a shooter. 'Hey, maybe a bit more specific?' Well, gladly:
The project borrows heavily from current FPS games like Battlefield© - from how weapons work and fire, to how characters move and take damage and how the maps are designed.
'2D-ify' the current shooter genre into a clonk game and give it its own flavor, if you will - developing CMC for Clonk Rage for over 7 years also teached us many of the nuances of 2D shooting gameplay.
For developers who may be interested, here are some examples on how our take on that looks like (sorry, wall of text incoming, take cover - also, no specific order of importance on those examples, its just to give you a first impression):

Weapons

Open Clonk already features basic weapon gameplay, though it lacks the depth required for fun and intense firefights - examples on what whould be needed to change that:

Selection times (DE: Anwahlzeit):
When a Clonk selects an item or weapon in his inventory, he needs a certain amount of time to pull it out - the clonks hands could be animated to reach into hammerspace so other players can see and react to it.
The player can still switch rapidly through his inventory, but selecting a new item will always trigger its selection time first.

This will fix item abuse by switching inventory and more importantly add a much needed layer of depth to general item handling:
Heavy weapons take longer to be selected, so I as a player must decide between taking the risk of beeing shot while pulling out my machine gun or instead using my pistol which can be selected swiftly.
This simple system can add risk/reward decisions to all items and weapons and gives developers a new balancing value to work with.
This is a good example of a system that doesnt even need shooter-focused mechanics to add to the gameplay - all kinds of arena-based game mechanics benefit from this.

Weapon sway (DE: Waffenbewegung):
In Open Clonk, you aim by simply clicking in any direction with [Left Mouse]. So much better than Clonk Rage with its old 'aiming stance' by pressing [Double Stop] - but that old clumsy system also added useful things:
The importance of stances and positioning as well as blind spots that a clonk cant aim at in certain conditions. A OC-Clonk lacks all of these functions, which makes positioning irrelevant for shooting other than having a clear sight.
Weapon sway fixes this by making your clonk's weapon inaccurate when he sways the gun arround too much or/and the clonk himself is beeing unsteady. In short:

* The more stationary a clonk is, the more accurate he fires.
* Depending on the action the clonk is in, he may or may not be able to fire in certain directions.
* The weapon adds it's own value of weapon sway increase - heavy weapons sway hard when using while moving while light weapons are much less effected
* Firing your weapon will add a certain amount of weapon sway with every shot - tap fire instead of rapid fire will therefore be more accurate

That opens up a whole array of strategy for the player, just by choosing between moving or beeing still and standing or laying down:
What weapon to use while running? Stay in cover and lay down to have near-perfect aim or move to the objective but risk inaccurate aim? If a enemy jumps over that ledge, I know that he cant fire straight downwards, so fire from directly below and he cant fire back.
Positioning becomes key and the map itself suddenly has much more to offer and think about.

Clonk Movement and Behaviour

The OC-Clonk is really versatile: We can control his jump midair, he can aim freely while moving, walljump, climb and no clumsy controls either, great stuff.
Still, for shooting, more possibilities are needed to let the player express himself and react more freely:
The clonk does not feature a dedicated 'aiming mode' to trade mobility for more accuracy (the famous 'aiming down sights' in modern shooters), you cant crouch or go prone to change your exposure to enemy fire and a clonk who dies is simply dead forever.

Going prone (DE: Kriechen) adds many strategies to clonks in Clonk Rage CMC:
You can crawl through small tunnels. You can take cover even if there is nothing there to hide behind. You gain perfect accuracy with weapons as lying on the ground is the perfect firing position. You can crawl over a ledge to directly change to climbing said ledge.
And it also gives you things to worry about to create - yet again - risk-reward decisions for the player: You are painfully slow. Enemy melee attacks are boosted, so dont let anyone come near you. You need a while to go into prone position and also to stand up, making you a sitting duck for a few moments.

Beeing able to reanimate (DE: Reanimation) a clonk who just died a few seconds ago by some magical defibrillators or a syringe is a fun game mechanic: You basically give a player the ability to save his fallen ally - you cant make teamwork more obvious than this. Everybody wins - you feel great for helping and your patient gets a free second try - even the enemy is happy as soon as he killed your medic and stole his equipment to help his own team.
A player who has to wait for a respawn gives possibilities to design more interesting game modes that dont rely on a fixed amount of respawns per team or player but a objective to fulfill, and the waiting player isnt even necessarily bored while sitting arround as nearby allied medics could bring you instantly back into action at any moment - at the same time, you get a little break from a really actionheavy fight and communicate a bit with your team.
Again, a simple feature adds an array of possibilities.

Hold or click [Right Mouse Button] to make your clonk aim (DE: Zielen) at your mouse cursor using the iron sights of your weapon - think of it like a focused fire instead of Rambo hip firing.
Your weapon sway will reduce but you cant jump and only walk.
This feature doesnt really comply to Open Clonk standards but all the more to shooter mechanics - this can be seen as a replacement of the old Clonk Rage 'aiming mode', but instantly and easily accessable from just one mouse button alone, no button hammering required.
Having a bunch of clonks running arround and jump-shooting at you is now way less intimidating and dangerous then having the same clonks standing on the ground aiming at you.
But at the same time, standing arround almost feels like begging to be attacked.
This, clonk stances, weapon sway and selection times alone are a stark contrast to Open Clonks general shooting experience - you can still just move quickly to avoid beeing hit and just fire at your enemy upon sighting, but the player will notice the nuances and try to use them to get the edge on their opposing team - that creates the kind of complex frantic gameplay we are looking for while still beeing easy to get into. Clonk Rage lacked the easy introduction with its overcomplicated controls, which Open Clonk easily fixes.

Game Look and Feel

Most shooters are gritty and completely serious. We cant fool anyone, that doesnt work with Clonk - and it doesnt have to:
Guns can still look like real counterparts but have a more blocky design to compliment Open Clonks standard design. We dont call that a M16 or RPG, its a assault rilfe or rocket launcher, simple.
Clonks still look quirky, but they wear serious gear like camouflage suits and protective armor.
CMC should still feel like its part of the clonk universe where they build wooden cabins and wind mills, its just that one country on clonk planet developed modern day weaponary that just happens to look like real guns.
We found the sweet spot when the player has a colorful game but not the wrong idea of a kids pea shooter.
Parent - - By Michael14 Date 2018-03-31 11:08
Again, these are general concepts that we created out of Clonk Rage development experiences and initial Open Clonk concept discussions and ingame tests with some basic stuff.

The main priorities for a first alpha build whould need to be decided on, if I had to guess, it whould be

* Selection times for items and weapons (depth to inventory managment)
* A basic form of weapon sway (depth to shooting)
* 1-2 weapons using the new systems, transfering damage values from CMC Rage as a basis as those have proven to be really solid balancewise
* Last Clonk Standing or Deathmatch as a first game mode (we are aware that Hold the Flag and other game modes are way more popular and fun, but we have to start somewhere easy, lets not get greedy)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2018-03-31 11:11
I think everything except the selection time already exists more or less in Clonko's weapon library - so it might be pretty fast to get a working prototype up.

I also have quite some stuff in Caedes, but the concept is a bit different.

But it's very cool to see that you are motivated to give it another shot :)
Parent - - By Michael14 Date 2018-03-31 11:36
Thats good to know, thanks =)

I just took a small look on Caedes and well, if CMC is heavily borrowing from Battlefield, then Caedes is basically doing that with Counterstrike =D
There are many game mechanics similiar to our concepts which is to expected as both are shooters, but the difference in gameplay are rather big - but Caedes is not finished so those differences may be even smaller than this build sugguests.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2018-03-31 12:01

>I just took a small look on Caedes and well, if CMC is heavily borrowing from Battlefield, then Caedes is basically doing that with Counterstrike =D

Yes! I think Caedes is more about short rounds and small decisions that have an immediate payoff (what's your loadout for this round, where are you going, where are you protecting with cameras, ...) and CMC is more about larger, tactical decisions

But even if we could share weapon models / effects / GUI whatever, that would maybe even help
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-31 11:23
Very good ideas and probably sensible to make a shooter with more stationary feel and tactics to it.

My firearms library so far is very basic but it's certainly possible to add a lot of features you need to it. Changes in accuracy are something I had in mind when developing it. Just on a side note: besides accuracy, bullet speed is also a nice way of balancing short / long range weapons (by giving the player on the other end of the gun more time to dodge).

See below for a submachine gun autofiring and a rifle with a laser sight attachment (which represents the state of my firearms library so far).

Parent - - By Michael14 Date 2018-03-31 12:15 Edited 2018-03-31 12:18
I must say, I love how everything that is a gun in Open Clonk uses the same 'I stuff invisible ammo into the front part of my barrel'-animation, thats too goddamn funny ='D

Your firearms mechanics look really similiar to what we whould have in mind, really interesting!
The important part is to add a random value to accuracy to mimic weapon handling and add tactical decisions to be made, but having that same value be completely controlable through the actions of the player so you dont feel cheated by it.

Bullet speed was on our radar in development a long time ago before we noticed Clonk Rage's performance issues handling those - CMC Rage for instance then switched to 'hit scan' so every rifle bullet will instantly hit its mark.
That change proved to be good as performance was saved and players seemed to be more satisfied with shooting as good aim and weapon control was rewarded with accurate hits, also the difference wasnt as big as expected as most firefights are arround close combat.
If Open Clonk turns out to be more reliable when 10 players use machine guns at the same time, surely real physical bullets with certain speeds whould be great to have, though we whould have to be really careful to not make it too frustrating to hit something.

There are also other features to further make balancing possible and give more tactical choices, like giving bullets the ability to hit multiple targets before disappearing, having them loose damage points after a certain amount of distance or going through certain walls which normal clonks and objects cant pass through (like a metal fence for instance). The first two options are in use in CMC Rage so we already got years of gameplay to back up their usefulness so tests in Open Clonk should show similiar effects.

Your debug accuracy indicator is basically CMC Rage's default crosshair =D
It whould be interesting to test if that whould still be the best way to indicate weapon information in Open Clonk or if a animated cursor like this whould be better (or maybe a mix of both):

* Default cursor (spread indicated by arrows)
* Progress cursor (reloading gun, selecting item etc.)
* Hit indicator for enemy living
* Hit indicator for enemy object
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-31 14:06

> I stuff invisible ammo into the front part of my barrel'-animation

Yeah. ;) I hope that I can help wasserwipf enough to create some fresh new clonk animations!

> Clonk Rage's performance issues

One'd have to try but I guess the issues would reoccur in OC, so having hitscan bullets is probably a better idea, yeah (especially with penetration of walls).

> Your debug accuracy indicator

I didn't really intend it as a debug feature but a regular player aid. :)

Animated cursors is something OC lacks so far but could be hacked around, probably.
Parent - - By Luchs Date 2018-03-31 15:22

>One'd have to try but I guess the issues would reoccur in OC, so having hitscan bullets is probably a better idea, yeah (especially with penetration of walls).

We could implement Sven's old concept for script-accessible engine cross-checks. Tons of projectiles are mostly slow because they're doing some FindObject() call every frame, aren't they?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2018-03-31 18:15

>Tons of projectiles are mostly slow because they're doing some FindObject() call every frame, aren't they?

Definitely. Buuuut..
the cross-check would probably be done after movement. So if a bullet moves really fast, it might skip through objects. That's why you'd usually want a Find_OnLine from the last position to the current one. I am not sure whether those cross-checks could provide that
Parent - By Michael14 Date 2018-03-31 18:59 Edited 2018-03-31 19:12

>So if a bullet moves really fast, it might skip through objects

Yup, can confirm, already hat that with Rage CMC in it's early phase.
The game features a really small drone, a 'MAV', which is about half the size of a clonk.
We also had problems with hitboxes for big objects like helicopters which have huge hitboxes when they are rotating, which meant we had to create our own hitbox system so you wont hit the empty parts of the helicopter graphics when it is rotating.
Parent - - By Michael14 Date 2018-03-31 16:10 Edited 2018-03-31 16:13
I only got limited code knowledge regarding Clonk Rage but as far as I understand, Open Clonk has mostly similiar limitations when it comes to performance, yes?
I whould probably think of hit scan as the better option too, one check per bullet is way better when the enviroment features 4-10 armed players, automated turrets and weapons capable to dish out multiple bullets at the time, and all of that in a wide open map that allows for bullets to fly arround for quiet some time.
CMC Rage does not hit scan with every projectile either, things like grenades and missiles are still real physical objects flying arround - but there are mostly no rapidfire missile/grenade launchers so that is hardly the same performance impact.

A similiar problem are HUD elements which are only supposed to be seen by a single player:
Why sync them to the network round if all other players wont need them anyways - a option to process multiplayer information and display them in completely local HUD elements whould be great.
Things like weapon information (ammo counter etc.) whould be no performance hit anymore and minimaps whould be not nearly as impossible as they are in Rage.

Hacking to get cursors, hu? That doesn't sound too nice code-wise =S
Maybe we should rely on good old crosshairs tagged onto the clonk with the gun like Rage CMC/Hazard already do =)
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-31 16:26

> Why sync them to the network round if all other players wont need them anyways

That is something OC can do! The GUI is not synched. :)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2018-03-31 18:19

>A similiar problem are HUD elements which are only supposed to be seen by a single player:
>Why sync them to the network round if all other players wont need them anyways - a option to process multiplayer information and display them in completely local HUD elements whould be great.

OC has a really cool async menu system! The caveat is that all players still have to "know" the menu so they can process synchronized callbacks correctly. But that should at least already be way faster than the old object-based menus in CR.
A minimap would probably be possible, but you'd still need many FindObject calls I guess :/
Parent - By Michael14 Date 2018-03-31 19:09 Edited 2018-03-31 19:13

>>A minimap would probably be possible, but you'd still need many FindObject calls I guess :/

had an idea for this regarding a overview map: Every important object has a invisible object attached to it that is a icon for the map.
Now, when you press a map button, lets say [M], the following happens:

* The FoW is covering all your view, so everything is black
* The player's camera zooms out until the whole map is in view (or a big chunk)
* You can now see all the icons attached to important objects like allied clonks, game objectives, respawn bases etc.
* A single graphic is layered over the FoW which is essentially a nice to look at, simplified screenshot of the entire map

Press [M] again, and you return to normal view.
Tada, you have a complete map overview by just showing... the real map instead of drawing a minimap =P

Well, it whould be a damn-good use for your zooming function at least, dunno how feasible it is though.
Parent - By Marky [de] Date 2018-03-31 19:38

>A minimap would probably be possible, but you'd still need many FindObject calls I guess :/

Or if we implement that viewport object finally :D
Parent - - By Marky Date 2018-03-31 12:17
Do you have your code shared somewhere? Mine has this, too, just not the animated cone. I really want to avoid having dozens of implementations of firearms systems again as it was in CR, where every project made their own stuff.
Parent - By Michael14 Date 2018-03-31 12:19
Amen.
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-31 14:01
No, I haven't shared it so far (it's only about two month's old) but I surely will do so now.
Parent - - By Marky Date 2018-03-31 12:37
If you already have the models for the CR CMC, then porting them to OC should be easy. Regarding the Arena-style game and other stuff that you can build on:

https://github.com/gitMarky/Library_ArenaGames => has basic things in it, such as spawn points, multi-round games (although the implementation on that one does seem outdated)
https://github.com/gitMarky/Library_Shooter => the aforementioned shooter library. I'd really like to improve it together with Clonkonaut and anyone who is willing to participate.
https://github.com/gitMarky/Library_Character => this one was used in Unreal Arena to have Clonks that are put together from multiple meshes (e.g. different heads, bodies, legs).
https://github.com/gitMarky/Library_AI => the most important thing here is that it features a modular approach to building bots. Tested it in Unreal Arena and want to use it in Hazard

And some projects where you might use content from (I usually shift content between libraries if it becomes apparent that more people want to use something, so that they do not have to depend on e.g. Hazard as a whole):
https://github.com/gitMarky/Unreal-Arena => has an, imo, nicer death system that would look cooler than the standard animation
https://github.com/gitMarky/Hazard => just another example how weapons work with the library, since this differs a lot from Unreal, but uses the same basic code.
Parent - - By Michael14 Date 2018-03-31 13:55
Well my ideal scenario for all this whould be that we had one single library that features all shooter-related mechanics under one roof to serve as a default template to all projects inside this genre for Open Clonk.

That will surely help kickstarting similiar packs like the favorite Western Pack or EkeReloaded to maybe spawn in a different form.

What we dont want is to unite everything and slap the logo of CMC onto it and call it ours, but make CMC a flagship project that showcases and uses all or most of that featurepacked mega-library if you will.
OC CMC whould be what Clonk Rage Hazard was to Clonk Rage CMC, a stable base to build upon.
And hopefully, that whould help Open Clonk when it comes to new content.

Thanks for the links, I'll look into those libraries when I get the next chance, though I am no programmer (I do stuff in Clonk Rage but that's more basic, and I got no idea how Open Clonk looks like code-wise) so I'd have to talk to potential programmers who are interested to create a suiting plan.
Parent - By Marky Date 2018-03-31 14:05

>Well my ideal scenario for all this whould be that we had one single library that features all shooter-related mechanics under one roof to serve as a default template to all projects inside this genre for Open Clonk.

That was my intention with the shooter library, too. I wanted to make it generic enough to support different kinds of shooters (weapon sway is a cool mechanic, but not intended in all kinds of shooters, so it is supported but optional). The arena library was separated from that, because there could be other non-shooter games that feature arena mechanics, and so on.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-03-31 14:02

> the aforementioned shooter library. I'd really like to improve it together with Clonkonaut and anyone who is willing to participate.

Sure, I will have a look at it. Probably not during Easter though, as I am very busy!
Parent - By Marky Date 2018-03-31 14:06
Ok, cool! I'll focus on the melee weapon rework or Clonk Mars for OC for now. Hazard is also interesting, but could be worked on in parallel once we start doing things for CMC
- By Michael14 Date 2018-06-17 13:30 Edited 2018-06-17 20:34
A little progress update:

A deployment screen (DE: Einstiegsmenü) has been added, giving class selection information as well as a full map overview including all spawnpoints (DE: Einstiegspunkt) to choose from.
The final look and features are yet to be determined but it already looks pretty cool, so here you go:

The new UI  is replacing themed HUD elements found in Open Clonk with a clean, neutral UI that blends in well with any setting.
The goal is a shooter-like interface that fits perfectly into Open Clonk, have a look on a small glimpse of what we have so far:

Development is kicking into gear, so if you find a modern shooter for Open Clonk interesting, like what you see here so far and want to help, don't hastitate to give us a short message and we'll be sure to get back to you :D
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / [Project] Codename: Modern Combat