Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Switch from GLEW to epoxy
- - By Günther [de] Date 2016-02-12 21:08
The main advantages are that OpenGL core context support is not considered experimental, epoxy automatically reinitializes the functions pointers after a context switch on windows, and on linux newer GTK+ versions already depend on epoxy, so we'd reduce our dependency-list. The disadvantage is that everyone would need to update their build environment, and I don't know how easy it is to get epoxy to build on windows.

The commit is in the epoxy branch. I'll wait a bit for any objections and merge it if there aren't any.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2016-02-12 23:02
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2016-02-13 05:07
There was the idea (and a preliminary branch) of switching and redesigning the editor (i.e. console mode) from Win32 API / GTK / Cocoa to a single port using Qt. Does epoxy work well with Qt?
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2016-02-14 13:55
I don't see why it would work worse than GLEW, since both of them use macros to detour the GL calls to their own version.
Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2020-06-25 11:35
I've revived that branch because we've had multiple bug reports about Wayland support under Linux, which is not possible with GLEW. It appears to work well on Linux (X and Wayland) as well as Windows. Qt editor works as well (not under Wayland though, but let's investigate that later). macOS still builds, not sure whether it works any better or worse than before.

Epoxy binaries for building on Windows are here. Building epoxy on Windows wasn't too hard once you know not to use the Meson installer for Windows. There was some talk on IRC about using vcpkg which should help with these dependency issues anyways.

I'm going to merge this soon if there are no objections (now really :P).
Parent - By Marky Date 2020-06-29 16:47
Please do!
Parent - By Luchs Date 2020-06-30 20:28
I merged it now.
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Switch from GLEW to epoxy