Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] Catapult / Trebuchet
- - By Simsi [de] Date 2009-08-26 22:40 Edited 2009-08-26 22:45
Here are my first models for OpenClonk, so they might have some mistakes or impractical things in the UV-map.

When I finished the Catapult-model I read that OpenClonk shouldn't have the same graphics as CR, but on the internet I haven't found a catapult having visible differences to that from CR. So I made the trebuchet, maybe we can use it as a replacement for the catapult.
The catapult hans't yet a UV-map, when it's needed I could do one.
I hope you understand the UVmap, I also attached an image with the UVmap mapped onto the model ;)

When I didn't know a word, I looked it up in a dictionary, so some might be wrong ;)

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Attachment: Trebuchet_UV.tga (242k)
Attachment: Trebuchet.blend (163k)
Attachment: Catapult_Old.blend (154k)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-26 22:58
Very nice :)

You may want to move the vertices around so there aren't any parts of a face that are hidden (such as on the diagonal planks). The catapult's many different pieces are weird, but I'm guessing that's just for modelling simplicity.
Parent - By Simsi [de] Date 2009-08-26 23:02
Yes, I modelled everything with one piece, and for UV-mapping I joined them.

I'll soon fix that with the hidden Faces.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2009-08-27 02:28
The catapult might become a little bigger than in CR (cause it's ridiculously small). You could at least anything that explains why it shoots the stuff (ropes, counter weight, ...).
Here are some inspirations:
http://problembear.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/catapult.jpg
http://www.healthstones.com/knights_and_dragons_store/schleich_world_of_knights/schleich_castle/schleich_catapult/schleich_catapult.jpg
http://www.knightsedge.com/medieval-weapons/medieval-catapult-4804.jpg
Parent - By Newton [es] Date 2009-08-27 14:33
I like the schleich one and this: http://www.pdimages.com/B03006.JPG
Parent - - By Simsi [de] Date 2009-08-27 21:59 Edited 2009-08-27 22:02
I extended the catapult with ropes and metal-spring clamps.
I added again a explaining picture, cause imo the UV-map is a bit confusing ;)

Attachment: Catapult.blend (173k)
Attachment: Catapult_UV.tga (242k)
Attachment: Catapult_UVmapped.png (184k)
Parent - By Newton [es] Date 2009-08-27 23:00
Looks much better than the original one. A tip: Don't create the uv map right away since you might still want to change something on the model depending on the feedback you get here in your forum thread.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-28 01:38
I like the details. However, the crossbow propulsion system seems odd. Medieval catapults used a rope on an axel (that connected the arm to the chassis) and twisted it tight to produce a potential elastic force. Then the rope holding the arm down (at the back of the chassis) would be cut, and the arm would hurl forward.

Example:

Attachment: catapult.bmp (366k)
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2009-08-28 02:07
Well, there are more than one techniques. I suppose you haven't looked on the first picture I posted? Because it's exactly what he rendered - and it worked!
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-28 19:22
Well, if there isn't going to be a ballista vehicle in OC, then I don't think there would be any confusion between the two.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2009-08-29 01:14
I don't think that there will be one. The ballista isn't used much in CR and with the bow available for every clonk it will be even more useless at all ;)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-29 01:23
Heh. This is a bit off topic, but since there's no ballista the arrows should probably go farther than the arrows in CR. They always seemed powerless.
Parent - By Ape [fi] Date 2009-08-29 06:04
I agree. Ballista would be very nice weapon, if it really is better than bow.
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2009-08-29 11:05
CR has no ballista ;) Its just an Crossbow. Ballista is much taller. (Arrows as big as clonks ^^)
Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-08-29 12:02
Hey, a spear throwing ballistic ultra sniping weapon wouldn't be bad. ;D
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2009-08-29 13:21
Yes, I know how it's called. But 'crossbow' refers to a weapon you can carry away, much smaller and never attached to a mobile frame (you can even tell from the German name 'Armbrust'). The crossbow derived from the ballista. Crossbow is the hand-held weapon, ballista the siege weapon.
A ballista is not necessarily as big as you mention.  The projectiles may be arrow-like (http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/artofadreamer/3d_2/light_ballista.jpg). I know that in most cases the projectiles are bigger but there are more types of ballistas. Using the normal arrow in Clonk is just a trick to not need to have another projectile object.
At all, ballista would be the proper name of the crossbow. It would even save some confusion in connection with the assassin in your avatar because they use a real crossbow ;)
Parent - By Newton [es] Date 2009-08-29 11:54
As I said, I like your catapult! But while it looks cool on the title, the side view (ingame view) looks quite odd. One can't see that these strings are supposed to be from the bow of the ballista. Additionally, for my liking the wheels are too small and the construction looks too clumsy (the wood is too "fat"). After all, I opt for the schleich catapult because it's functioning is more obvious and simple to see from the ingame view, plus it has this toy-like feel to it (actually that one seems to be a toy): not having a too clumsy construction and a big moving part. The thing to wind up can stay in the schleich construction if it looks good since in both constructions, it would be used to get the basket down.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] Catapult / Trebuchet