Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Useful items
1 2 Previous Next
- - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-09 20:57
For the current development goal, we want some basic weapons and tools, specifically to help the clonks get somewhere (doesn't have to be items only). Here are some of my ideas for that which I will most probably not implement myself. If anybody wants to implement any of these items, please note that down here so we don't have accidently two swords at the end. It'd be nice to see most of these items until the release end of March. Could be that I mentioned some of the ideas before:

(Magical) balloon
Works only during jump. Inflates when it is used, the fall of the clonk is slowed down. This helps getting from a high platform to another lower one which would be otherwise too far away. Needs a "hanging-from-rope" animation for the clonk.

Boompack
A makeshift rocket. Can only be used from ground. When used, the rocket bolts roughly into the direction in which it was aimed, leaving a thick black smoke trail and gyriting ("taumeln") heavily (makeshift, remember?). The clonk clings on to the rocket first (clonk animation required), looses grip quick (or presses jump, whatever comes first) and tumbles to the ground while the rocket explodes in some pretty fireworks explosion

Grappler
A grappling hook with a crossbow-like thing to shoot it. The range of the grappling hook is very limited but could be the last few meters one needs. It can be used while jumping or walking. When the clonk hit something with the grappler, the grappler will automatically pull the hook in, pulling the clonk towards the hook. To use press the mouse button, to let go before the clonk reached the grappling hook, release the mouse button. If the rope goes over an edge (is not straight anymore), it automatically lets go. Needs a "hanging-from-rope" animation for the clonk as well as a general aim-animation.

(Parchment of) Cowardice
In a limited radius, you can draw a line (of limited length). At that position, some repulsive field will appear which flings back anything that comes near it with considerable speed. It could be used to shield off unwanted guests and projectiles but also as a trampoline (if horizontal).
Requires mouse (more or less).

Catapult
...which can like in CX also slingshot clonks.

Dynamite box
More dynamite fun in-a-box. The clonk can successively place 5 dynamite bars into the material which are all connected by a line. After he put down he fifth one, he can let them all explode at the same time by hitting the detonator. Of course, the dramatic "slow match" (Zündschnur) effect may not be missing here.

Javelin
Come in a pack of three. Just like a rock, only a bit heavier and rotates in a way that the pike is in front (like arrow).

(Pack of a) rope-ladder
Very important item. Equipped with this, the clonk can - while hangling, climbing or standing next to an edge - unfold a rope-ladder on which other clonks can climb up. Requires some general scripted climb behaviour like that one in Farworlds/Jungle or Hazard.

Club
If we didn't have the rock, probably the most basic weapon. One can beat with it on use, in the aimed direction. If your timing is good, you can even bat other objects that are flying towards you away (clonk animation required).

Shield
Use it to protect yourself against arrows or enemy blows. Clonk animation required. You can't block larger stuff that is flying at you (e.g. rocks) but they will be slowed down on impact - so if they are already slow enough, the shield can protect against these too.

Mighty Hammer
Another weapon. If the clonk uses the hammer while jumping, he'll directly head down, using his hammer as a big STOMP. The effect would be about the same as the paladin sword from M&M. Also, it doesn't have to be an extra weapon - perhaps could do with the club too. Also needs a clonk animation.

(Orb of) Telekinesis
One can grab an item (which is not stuck) in a limited radius from the clonk and move it slowly slowly by holding down the mouse somewhere else. If you move it too fast, the clonk will drop it. Clonk animation would be nice but not required.
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-09 22:08 Edited 2010-02-09 23:34
I can make the animations. But I prefer making them with ready models so I don't have to model placeholder objects, or make the animations "blind". So I am hoping for good models from our graphic artists.
Btw. I am already working on some animations for the club.

Edit: The bat animations are done. For the modelers I have provided my placeholder model in the resources repos in the folder of the sword. The script is just for displaying the animations, the rest still has to be done by someone.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-13 09:07
I've basically finished the boompack. Could you make some animations for the Clonk trying to hold on to it (while flying)? It also doesn't appear on the Clonk's back for some reason; since you know more about 3D implementation maybe you could fix that.
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-13 11:17
The problem was, that you didn't specify a bone, which should be used for attachment. If none is specified, "main" is used.
public func GetCarryBone(clonk) { return "Boompack"; }
is needed in your script. But I think the new holdmode CARRY_BothHands fits the rocket better, as the clonk also has to hold on it while flying. But I'll take care of it. Perhaps it would be good too, to commit the model. It is always easier to make the animations with the models directly in blender, so I can see if it fits.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-13 19:49 Edited 2010-02-13 19:58
I see whereI went wrong there with the attachment. D:

There are a few bugs, and I'll push the changeset. I hope it doesn't muck up anything you might have changed.
Parent - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-13 20:24
It would be good to have the model, so commit or attach the .blend file, please. I am currently reworking the scaling of the models, so that every model has the exact same size when lying around and when attached to the clonk. That also means I have to reexport every model with the new scale.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-10 01:07

>(Magical) balloon

Seems weird to have a balloon act as a parachute. :/

I'll create the orb of telekinesis, and then have a go at creating the Boompack as well. Also, if no one hasn't by that time, I'll create the javelin, as that seems fairly easy to do. :)
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-10 09:27 Edited 2010-02-10 09:31
Is all of this stuff supposed to be present in the "original pack" or it is some kind of extension? Though some of the items are nice-to-have in a base set (club, grappling hook, javelin, catapult and so), others seem a bit weird (like telekinesis orb and parchment of cowardice).
Another thought: Will it be possible to implement... I don't know hunting wild animals or fighting off a pack of wolves (when accidently meet them in a forest)? I mean: it would be nice to use weapons not only in melee scenarios but in settlement scenarios as well.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-10 10:29 Edited 2010-02-10 10:39
I can model grappler and dynamite box (Do not think that I have time for anything else)
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2010-02-11 19:21
I already have some finished scripts for the grappler, btw.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-12 19:09
I think the problem with some grapplers I have used before in CR was the inability to swing on the rope properly. M&M's swinging was great, though. :)
Parent - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-12 22:29
Well, I didn't really succeed in making a realistic swing... I wasn't totally happy with it. But perhaps we'll succeed in making a good for OC.
Parent - By kevda [de] Date 2010-02-10 12:19
a pole for races would be nice aswell, so it can be used for pole vault
Parent - - By Maddin Date 2010-02-11 12:58
I'll make the Mighty Hammer and the Orb of Telekinesis.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-11 13:11
The Orb of telekinesis is already done (look here)
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-11 19:35
I like the orb. But perhaps an animation would be good, and also limit the clonk to be standing while using it? Is there a model for the orb? I would need one if I have to make an animation for it.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-12 08:21
The model I made for the icon was quite hi-poly, so I'll create a nice looking low-poly.
Parent - By Maddin Date 2010-02-12 21:56
:(
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-02-11 13:26
I can do the hammer too since I already begun with the weapon stuff :)
Parent - By Maddin Date 2010-02-12 21:56
Agreed.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-11 13:37
Better decide on who will make it (I do not think we need two hammers, actually)
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-12 13:28
If someone renders a rope-ladder with an unroll- and roll- animation, I'll do this.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-15 18:22
Alright, I've finished those three things I said I would. I think I'll create the magical balloon. However, I'd think a grungy/patched parachute might fit more; what do you guys think?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-15 18:28
How about a grungy/patched magical balloon? (Oh btw, a hit by an arrow or object should of course make it go poff)
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-15 18:40

>a hit by an arrow or object should of course make it go poff

A balloon would be more game-play enriching in this case, indeed. :D
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-20 03:56
I'd like to suggest a Diver's Helmet. What do you think?
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-20 09:11 Edited 2010-02-20 10:09
I think it would fit the OC world much better than a modern(?) aqualung that was suggested earlier... No. What am I saying?
It would be a complete breach of the entire Clonk concept - now you must have two clonks to operate an object! While one of them travels through the undiscovered deeps, the other one must stay on a solid ground continuously pumping air downwards. Thus if the second one is distracted and the first one does not make it to the surface... Totally mindblowing! (Outstanding, I'd rather say).
Like this idea very much though it contains additional implementation difficulties. And yeah, it will only do for settlement scenarios (why do you need to dive deep in melee, anyway?)
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-20 09:49
Sounds good. ^^
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-20 10:49
Yes, I was thinking it could be quite interesting to operate it with a line-kit or some-such.
Parent - - By Travis Date 2010-02-22 23:51
Do you guys know the "Erweiterungspack". In this pack is already exactly what you talking about. Try out.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-23 01:04
I think an air-pump building might be too constricting for the diving helmet though. I would rather have some system which either allows the Clonk to simply place a the air-intake at the surface and either always supply air, or require a second clonk to pump air into the air tube.

I've already shown this to a few people in IRC a day or two ago, but for those who weren't there:
Diving Helmet
I've recently made a few colour modifications (and uv-fixes)though, but this is basically what it looks like.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-23 08:24
I'd say it looks nice (very "clonky" in style). Now the only thing left is draw an air pipe going upwards to the surface... and aclually a pump :-)
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-23 10:16
Looks good, but reminds me of WoW... brrrr!
- - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-10 06:45
Cool,

"-X-" means "could make it official",

How about a dump truck, already have a bulldozer: http://www.ccan.de/cgi-bin/ccan/ccan-view.pl?a=view&i=795
     Elevator 3x size of original, -X-: http://www.ccan.de/cgi-bin/ccan/ccan-view.pl?a=view&i=4293
Elevator that is 2x size of original and can transport any moveable object, -X-: http://www.ccan.de/cgi-bin/ccan/ccan-view.pl?a=view&i=123
     Drill, would require fuel, digs through any material at the same speed, except for granite, this would be slower and use up fuel faster, or not at all.
Drill upgrade for basic elevator, can dig through coal, ore, and gold, though would be hard to make/afford, or something, -X-:
http://www.ccan.de/cgi-bin/ccan/ccan-view.pl%3Fa%3Dview%26i%3D3297
     Drain for any liquid type material, -X-: http://www.ccan.de/cgi-bin/ccan/ccan-view.pl?a=view&i=4110
Some sort of spout or emitter that pours forth a constant set amount of any liquid material, (would work best on maps with an open bottom, drains, or constructible drains)
     A reverse elevator, but it would not be able to go down, -X-: http://www.ccan.de/cgi-bin/ccan/ccan-view.pl?a=view&i=504
Tanks, -X-: http://www.ccan.de/cgi-bin/ccan/ccan-view.pl?a=view&i=857
     A deconstructor, either a building that u go in, or a collectable object, when activated, pick the thing to be deconstructed, gets broken down into basic components, -X-:
     http://www.ccan.de/cgi-bin/ccan/ccan-view.pl?a=view&i=2933
Silo, -x-: http://www.ccan.de/cgi-bin/ccan/ccan-view.pl?a=view&i=3859
     Terra T Flint, -X-: http://www.ccan.de/cgi-bin/ccan/ccan-view.pl?a=view&i=105

If the way i have presented these is just annoying, dont worry, for now this is my only thoughts on objects, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORKS GUYS

(EDIT) "FacePalm", just relized that this was not a topic for adding ur ideas on objects, sorry.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-10 09:30
There can be a lot more of fun stuff implemented later (through various additional packages). So your ideas also have future (as well as whole bunch of other nice ideas)
Parent - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-10 16:16
well that eases my conceince a little bit, now, on to other ideas!
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-10 23:41 Edited 2010-02-10 23:44
I don't think tanks, trucks, a silo, or a nuke-flint fit into OpenClonk's style (we're using swords, muskets, and blimps. Think Renaissance with Magic). Also, drains and spouts are very easy to create, and would not need to be a base object.

A deconstructor for everything sounds like a cheat. If say, we want to break a wipf into it's components, you use a knife. If you want to break a gun into it's components, you might do this at an armory (though why you'd want to is questionable). A 'deconstructor' building doesn't make any sense.
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-11 21:36
the building i linked to actually only works on bombs, (hadnt looked at it when i made the post), though the ability to deconstruct everything would usefull for when something no longer is needed, say u dont need an oil rig anymore, rather than blow it to kindom come, it would be nice to dismantle it and either sell its components or use them for other things.   If implemented though, it would be nice if this worked on the base of the building too, (sometimes they just get in ur way).
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-12 03:08

>say u dont need an oil rig anymore, rather than blow it to kingdom come, it would be nice to dismantle it and either sell its components or use them for other things.

I think the hammer could fulfill the spot for dismantling buildings, which could be actually quite nifty. This has already been an idea for melee weapons, that you could possibly siege a tower with a battle axe to deconstruct it. An object which deconstructs everything is ludicrous, though.

>it would be nice if this worked on the base of the building too

As far as I know, we're not using basements in OpenClonk.
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-12 07:17
oops, sorry. forgot to say that deconstructing everything from one building does sound kinda lame.  how about use a mallet for most buildings, and for basements and large structures, use the jackhammer or battle axe.

(For wood structures i personnaly would go with a chainsaw, yes there is one on CCAN, its in a pack)   XD
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-12 08:14
Needing multiple tools to deconstruct buildings would be unnecessary complication (especially modern power tools. O_o This is a Shakespearean era game afaik)
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-12 13:37

>As far as I know, we're not using basements in OpenClonk.

Well, I personally tought about building system, in which there would be no need to use construction kit, BUT construct some basement - it must be flat, be it metal or stone - it does not matter. This would simplify things a bit, as in reality there would be no need to use some "Construction Kit", here you would need a hammer and solid, and relatively flat(maximum turbulence of 2 pixels), hard surface to build on. We could also make it work, so you need 1 wood to build simple "skeleton" of building, and then depending on what you want to build use various things. Or maybe it would be better to create skeleton, and then choose what you want to build, so after using up one wood and choosing what you want to build you are shown, what is required, and then use these things in specified order. Downside of this would be neccesarity of using few models for various construction stages, and maybe even some animations. I guess system I once suggested would not pass... http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr348/Asmageddon/Construction.jpg
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-12 14:13
What about buildings of different size?
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-12 15:16
Well, you just need to bring some wood first in order to expand the "skeleton", and then continue building.
- - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-10 23:04 Edited 2010-02-10 23:22
I've just finished creating a dynamite box.

P.S. By the way, I just came up with a thought that it might cost 1xWood, 1xMetal and 3xSulphur... Well, never mind, is was just a thought...
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-11 09:43
oh, umm, crap.   Thats kinda dissapointing.  I thought OpenClonk was gonna be a fully redesigned Clonk with even more stuff.   Hope u guys at least keep the object/scenerio creation stuf going, i get such a kick out of wat i can find on CCAN.
Parent - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-11 19:18
Well, we first of all want to get a playable Version for the CM. So we concentrate first on some Objects for Melees or Parcours. But the settlement and other aspects won't be let out in the long run.
- - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-11 11:37
And yeah, I can model shield as well (if it is not done yet)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-02-11 12:23
I think Ringwaul already did that
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-11 13:35
Oh, OK
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Useful items
1 2 Previous Next