Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Clonk Story
- - Date 2010-02-22 07:57
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-22 03:59
Heres an idea for some kind of background story for OC:

The existence of clonks has been know for a few years now, though no one knows when, where, how, or why of their coming into being. . . . . . . until now.

And then u guys add in some kind of story, Ive read so many fiction books i might be able to come up with a good one if given long enough, but id probably get bored with it before id finished it.   If i come up with anything else, ill post it here.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-22 05:43
I don't think having some fantastical story about where clonks come from is important; or necessary. Clonks are just little people doing what they do to survive. Where they come from doesn't help them survive, so that is unimportant imho.
Parent - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-22 07:57
Think of putting it into a set of scenarios, like a campign.  It could be cool.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2010-02-23 19:56
If we've got a good writer here... I don't think it's fun to read amateur texts instead of playing.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-23 20:31
And that is why people to prefer to read books normally, not online.
The choice "play" or "read", especially when you just launched a game/scenario is just obvious...
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-23 22:21
Well, this can be bypassed (umgangen) by not having a huge text the player has to read, but introducing the story bit by bit using dialogs. Though this only works for adventure scens good... But in settlement szens we could use short cutscenes or similar things to introduce the stroy bit by bit, so that the player doesn't have to read through large textes.
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-23 23:37
Thank you Randrian, If you think about it, most but not all games have some kind of story to them.   Ive found that in games with a story as the base thing, have some kind of editor to keep it popular.  I find the opposite is true for those that have a giant sandbox type thing as the base thing, and stories are added to keep it going.

Halo 3 is an example of the first part and Sims 3 is an example of the second part.

Clonk falls under the second "style" without a doubt, but games of this sort usually dont have the diverse posibilities that Clonk has.  Usually in a games editor, u can make different things within set environments.  In clonk you can make everytyhing from the world to the controls to the characters to the things you interact with.  In other words, while other editor based games have not enough freedom, clonk has so much that a casual person can be "drowned" in the possibilities.

Clonk already has a life of its own, but its never really had a story to describe itself, like how it Clonks came to be, and what will happen to them in the future.
We already know how clonk got started, maybe its time to make a tale of how the clonks themselves came to be.
I'm betting the original creator would have some thoughts on this, though i might be wrong.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-24 00:40

>Sims 3 is an example of the second part.
>Clonk falls under the second "style" without a doubt,

Blasphemy!!!
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-24 05:24
Y?   Is not clonk one of teh most customizable games ever played?  We all know just about every part of a scenario can modified, though there is a HUGE difference between sims and clonk.   sims comes no where near teh capabilities of clonk.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-24 06:30
Obviously, comparing Clonk to the Sims is a sacrilegious act.

>Y?  Is not clonk one of teh most customizable games ever played?

Only if you've got the knowledge and skills to do it. I don't really see how you're grouping Sims and Clonk together, since basically every game on the planet (Halo as well) can be customized.
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-24 08:30
"facepalm" sorry for spelling errors, but stuff like that happens.

And i said that Clonk is far beyond ANY other game in that, anything in it can be customized, something neither sims nor halo can come close to.

I own and play Sims 3 and Halo 3, trust me Clonk is way better, i was just giving examples so that people would understand what im talking about.

I can see though why you would find it strange or even annyonig for someone to use such a comparison, but let me say it again, CLONK IS BETTER.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-24 09:44
To be honest, the first thing I thought of when you wrote 'y' was the french word (pronounced 'ee'). :p

To the actual point of what you are saying though, I think Clonk is very much a task-driven game. It's not really a sandbox (though there is sand xD), and it's not a story driven game. Each game has it's aspects which make it excellent; with games like GTA, it is clearly the sandbox element. With games such as Halo, it is the intriguing story (and for the first game, excellent music). With Clonk, I always found the fun part was being challenged with ridiculous tasks to perform, and always finding a way for my Clonks to complete these tasks (for instance, the Deep Down mission). Clonk has very clear goals/tasks which it asks you to complete using your ingenuity and cunning, and I think this is what has always made it great; not a story.
Parent - - By Travis Date 2010-02-25 22:09
Nooo, you don't need much skill to customize the landscape in Clonk during a scenario, there is no border for creativity here...at this point Clonk is very unique (and compareable to games like Sims, even when it hurts).
Parent - - By Ringwaul [us] Date 2010-02-25 22:20
Sure, you can draw a landscape simply enough. Now have fun making objects to fill that landscape which are actually enriching to the game. :p
Parent - - By Travis Date 2010-02-25 22:30
You don't understood me! I'm talking about the gameplay, there are actually not many games where you can change the whole landscape like you want to. Even in a melee the landscape looks always different after you played on it, holes and bomb craters and stuff, so every round can be a unique experience. I'm not talking about the development part.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-26 00:39
Ah, I understand. I wouldn't call this customization though; it's more 'affecting the game-world'.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2010-02-24 09:51
Hm... I'm actually not that bad, but I'm lacking great amounts of common knowledge (german meaning would be "Allgemeinbildung") - an essential skill for writing. My girlfriend has written several books and would be a better deal, but she refused to concern herself with Clonk so far (because of the wicked controls in CR by the way). She could help me out of course.

Also if I write the Clonk Story Background it will most likely drift more into Fantasy. I harassed pluto and Zapper about Metal and Magic, because I wished that it would be a fuse between the Fantasy and the Knight pack someday (which was not possible with CR because of the lack of a free button).

Actually I already have a greater deal of thoughts about the future Fantasy- and Knight-pack, the only thing would be to implement technology into these thoughts to complete the whole thing.... wait, fist question: What do we want in general?
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-24 10:08
As far as I know, right now we do not need anything. Not a background story at least. Later discussions would be in order when we have some scenarios where story could be applied (definitely not parcours and melee though some story can be present there as well).
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2010-02-24 10:39
Can't hurt to talk about it.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2010-02-24 10:38

>Actually I already have a greater deal of thoughts about the future Fantasy- and Knight-pack

The thing is furthermore to blend the whole thing with the game play.

1. Damage types:
Currently we have several sorts of damage types such as normal, explosion, drowning, acid, fire, effects..
In the knight pack you could protect yourself with a shield against normal damage, but you would become greater damage from explosions with it, well it was a glitch but I liked it :).
In the KDD-Fantasypack there are spells which can be blocked by hiding inside the stone from the camouflage spell, but there are also spells which would do damage inside objects (such as the leech spell for example), this as well would be an example for different damage types (... by a glitch as well).

I would like to go into that direction. I suggest the damage types: Normal, Explosion, Heat, Magic and arguable cold as a counterpart for fire.

All types of damage should be clearly visible, a spell that makes great magical damage could cast greater amounts of magic particles, an Inuit, which is just cold a little bit, should be optically different than another that is nearly frozen to death.

It's also important to keep it all simple.

2. Interaction:
How strong should damage types interact with the game? Buildings could get damage from explosions and wooden ones from heat as well. A building could burn slowly with an increasing damage and flame rate (greater visible fire..), Wizard tower could absorb magic damage etc.
We even could introduce different ingame objects to influence your armor and your damage (like potions or magic weapons). We don't need to of course.

3. Balance:
We need to thing about how to achieve all the modifications, objects or spells? Tech trees would make sense for the first time. In terms of magic I always liked to make the weak spells a lot easier to achieve, whereas the heavy spells (like meteor rains and such) shouldn't.

--------------------

I know my thoughts are strongly CR based.

-------------------

Well in our own World we could create living things such as simple monsters or plants which trap the clonks which could be magical. Sorcerers would battle for magic regions (the ones in which mana recovers on it's own), they would explain the floating islands as well. And the technology obsessed clonks could try to reach the highs of a floating ore Island or what the fuck ever. Possibilities are great. Important is that the story adds to the game and not the game to the story.
Parent - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-24 13:46
Good points, but this is topic is about story, so u might want to make ur own topic about such things. No hard feelings.
Parent - - By PeterW [de] Date 2010-02-25 01:32
You know, I'm not sure we're ready for a background story yet if we can't even fully agree on the fact that having Clonks resemble actual human beings might be a good idea. Maybe we could string together the tutorials or a set of missions with some kind of story, but I doubt many players will care - and I strongly doubt forcing them to care would be a good idea unless we're really sure we know what we're doing.
Parent - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-25 06:56
fair enough
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2010-02-25 09:13
Well, I won't do it if it isn't needed - I'm only saying that the possibilities are there. A good story however is the work of weeks or even months, so it's not wise to do it when the game is nearly finished.
Parent - - By PeterW [de] Date 2010-02-25 17:44
Well, writing for a game that's not even properly defined yet is also very tricky. As I said above - when in doubt, we will most likely bend the story to fit gameplay, not the other way round.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-26 13:22
IMO let's now make parkours and melees, then settlement part, and THEN start making some campaigns, etc. in current state talking about story is just waste of time, as when OC will be in state allowing campaign creation we will not even remember about this discussion...
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-25 09:38
By the way, thanks for mentioning. We are surely in GREAT need of a detailed tutorial (the one in CR was not bad - at least I've easily learned how to pump oil :-). If someone wants to apply his writing skills somewhere - here is a good place :-)
Parent - By Travis Date 2010-02-25 22:13
NO story at all, every scen can have one, but a general story background would harm my (and our) imagination.
Parent - - By LoneS [fi] Date 2010-02-26 23:47
Who's with me on that stories should be just scenario/campaign based?
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-27 08:56
I am.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-27 19:45
Indeed, I think a story for the entirety of Clonk is very limiting for the scenarios. For instance, the story of Last Will has nothing to do with the story of The Treasure; heck, these clonks are completely different people. I think it's much better to have scenarios with their own story, because this is what scenarios are... clonks acting their part in a 'scenario' that you present them in.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-27 19:49
And of course there is always a possibility to make scenario trilogies, tetralogies, octalogies or so when several scenarious represent the different parts of the same story. We can even group these scenarios somehow and make the player finish previos one before starting the next one. Hm, maybe a posessions/achievements transfer would be in order as well?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-27 20:13

>We can even group these scenarios somehow and make the player finish previos one before starting the next one.

You can use a clonk folder (.c4f) to group similar scenarios. Also, to have scenarios you can only play after you have completed a previous one, one would use GainMissionAccess().

>posessions/achievements transfer

That should be possible through Set/GetCrewExtraData().

It's completely possible to make interconnected scenarios like this and have a grand story tie into them, but it should only be for that string of scenarios, not the entire game.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-27 20:45
Yes. That is exactly what I was talking about.
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-27 20:39 Edited 2010-02-27 21:30
I didnt mean for clonk to just have one background story, I was hoping for something like that, but then other stories could be added too.  Think if u combined the way missions worked in CR with the way the western scenarios were shown.  It would give a feeling of working for a greater purpose. (by the way, the order of unlock for CR missions is screwy)

EDIT:  Combine what Ringwaul said in his post about scenario folders and such with what ive said about how it could be displayed, and stories come alive.  Might not be a commande map, but it does give each scenario a sense of purpose.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-28 00:14
Better would sound something like:
Display of player current wealth, crew, status, etc.
Main mission, each can unlock new main/side missions. Sometimes player have got to complete few of them to unlock next one/s
Side missions - optional, often repetable missions serving purpose of gaining funds/clonks/items/anything.
Parent - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-28 00:27
Add that in there too and Story/campain stuff is ready to go, (conceptwise).

Whatever you guys decide to do.
- By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-24 09:17
Are there people here who ever played Warcraft3 ? I do not mention cutscenes here though it would be excellent to have something like this in OC scenarios as well. I mostly talk about W3Editor. With this "tool" you can not only create different maps with huge diversity of goals/subquests/objects lying around (not to mention the story line supported by... oh again cutscenes) but also are able to modify the controls and even the view from the camera (do NOT take this last idea for OC). So if we implement something like this in OC... Sorry, we are talking about story here. I think the OC editor should not only allow to make scenarios but to write scenarios as well (if you understand what I mean).
- - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-24 13:50
Of course Clonk is an objective based game, but as an entire game, it has more sandbox type features than all the games ive ever played, that had and editor, combined.
Im not kidding here, clonk has more control options than any other game ive ever played, (like 100 o so), making it much more "powerful" in terms of what it can do.
Adding the abilty to have stories with scenarios will only add to Clonk's "arsenal".
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-25 08:38

>Adding the abilty to have stories with scenarios will only add to Clonk's "arsenal".

A story can be described in the scenario description (the first scenario I made for Clonk, The West, had it's story contained in the description), or in the scenario by any number of ways... (voice, text, images). Most modders are just too lazy to write them. Basically anything you can think of is possible to create in clonk, as long as you have the determination to create it.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Clonk Story