Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Anchors
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-01 01:22
While making a texture for the airship, I realized something; the airship has an anchor, but it's just for decoration. So I think, why not instead of just decoration, it actually serves a purpose? Anchors could be quite useful for making airships, balloons, and boats stay in place, so wind doesn't blow them a mile away. Anchors could also have some other uses, such as lowering the anchor to allow Clonks to climb into the airship while it is flying. For boats, clonks using the diving suit could grab onto an anchor to be quickly hauled back into a boat in case of a shark or something of this nature.

What do guys think?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-03-01 01:29
Hm, I would like the airship to "behave" better in OC: If you let loose the airship, it doesn't float down (as long as a clonk is on board) but just float in place even if it is windy (then the propeller would automatically be left on). So an anchor wouldn't be needed here.

About that climb-on airship thing, this would be possible if the climbing system will be keen enough. However does it make sense? In which situation would that be of any use?

By the way, I updated the artists guide in the wiki: http://wiki.openclonk.org/w/Artists_Guide
Also, very important: My experience is that textures for 3D-models which are based on actual photos always turn out better then textures which where painted by oneself. So if you are into the texturing, use actual cloth textures, actual ropes and nets, actual metal pieces and machine parts with actual screws and mechanical stuff on it etc.
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-01 04:32
maybe for climbing into/out of a blimp/airship, the rope ladder could be used
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-01 17:09
The idea is that the anchor is actually part of the vehicle, not a separate item. So by hitting a button, the anchor is dropped. Hitting that same button will haul the anchor back in.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-01 18:59
Though no one prevents you from dropping a rope ladder (not a part of a vehicle) down from baloon. But you are right - using rope ladders is a bit off-topic in terms of the topic we are currently discussing
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-01 19:06
Also, a boat would make no sense to use a rope ladder. :P I think we could probably just use the same object (anchor) for a boat that we could use for an airship.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-01 20:20
If we are talking about anchor - yes. Let it fall/float down untill it reaches the solid material (earth). Whan it does - you know that your vehicle is anchored (it stays in place from now on). So the only way to move the vehicle is to release the anchor. With this approach it does not matter to what vehicle exactly the anchor is tied for it will work the same for all of them.

What I've told about rope ladders is a completely different approach which can be implemented aside of (in parallel to) anchor (NOT replacing it).
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-01 22:54
I think this could also be a solution for airships to stay in place instead of keeping the fan-rotor running or some such. If the anchor has hit the ground, the airship will still blow in the wind but won't be able to float any farther than the length of the anchor's rope.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-03-01 23:19
And then all the enemy clonks come climbing up the rope. Good idea! :P
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-02 00:46
Only if you're stupid enough to anchor it at an enemy base. :)
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-01 17:17
It seemed to me that the airship dropping like a stone when you didn't grab it was very strange. It would be a nice feature to have the airship simply float in place even when windy, though.

>In which situation would that be of any use?

Well, I've noticed this could be very helpful for hauling Clonks out of water. In CR you always had to land on water so the swimming Clonk could dolphin jump into the gondola, which could result in your airship becoming an easy target.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-01 08:22
In case of an airship: it would be nice. Making your vehicle stay in place while the strong wind blows will surely give much more control for it (But isn't the airship supposed to fall down when no one is controlling it?).
In case of a baloon: it would be nice. I would also greately like to implement something like the sandbag approach (Just imagine sandbags flying from the sky... - we can even make sand more usefull than it is currently in CR... just kidding).
In case of a boat: it would be nice. I've already stated that I would like to have a boat in OC though it will have to have a very long anchor rope in case the lake/river/see appears to be deep enough.
In case of a lorry: it would be... alright, alright, this is just a joke.

What I wanted to say is that having an anchor would be something fresh, new, something CR never had (And I like very much to implement things that were not present in CR)
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-02 12:58
I just came up with an idea of having the separate object for anchor. Anchores are constructed separately from the vehicles and are then attached (like cannons to cannon towers in CR) to them. So now if you construct airship/balloon/boat you will have just airship/balloon/boat which will fly/float away when you dismount it. But if you want to provide additional functionality, you will buy/construct and attach anchor to it.

Drawback: Will have to remove decorative anchor from an "ordinary" airship :-(
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-02 16:47
im guessing when this as yet theoretical anchor is made, it will require rope, right?
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-02 16:51
yes
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Anchors