Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Small pictures of the Map in HUD
- - By Carli [de] Date 2010-03-04 13:25
I have some Idea:

the HUD Clonk in the upper left is very buggy and i think it would be better to enable a general method to show parts of the screen (with a certain zoom) as a menu graphic.

So you would see the clonk and his environment - the building that he's standing in front of etc.
This would also be an advantage when some shields are added als helper objects or he's riding an airbike.

An other usage of the new feature would be that you can create observation screens of certain areas.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-03-04 13:45

> the HUD Clonk in the upper left is very buggy

In which way?
Parent - - By Carli [de] Date 2010-03-04 14:16
the skeleton is deformed.

Just try to aim with a musket at a certain direction and you will see.
Also look at this:
http://blog.openclonk.org/
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-03-04 14:39 Edited 2010-03-04 14:45
This is a feature!!! Fucking hell! It's called perspective rendering...

Edit: I shouldn't have posted this in the blog after all if everybody looks at this picture that can be seen for one frame! and thinks this is a bug. As I wrote already in the blog:

I didn’t post this as a bug but as an example to see the awesomeness of perspective rendering. Honestly, that one picture here is one frame, the spear flies through (or past) the camera in a matter of one tenth of a second. All it is, is a nice visual effect.
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2010-03-04 15:45

> Honestly, that one picture here is one frame, the spear flies through (or past) the camera in a matter of one tenth of a second.

I still think the HUD clonk should be clipped to his containing frame.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-03-04 15:55
Let me know if you have an idea how to do that (should still work if DrawTransform is applied, so a scissor test won't work).
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2010-03-04 17:26
RTT and then just apply that texture to a quad? I don't know right now what DrawTransform changes, so this might be totally infeasible.
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-03-05 12:20
I considered that when implementing it, but decided not to do it just because of the possibilty for the model to be clipped. Another problem with RTT is to choose an appropriate texture size and the need to scale it (either up or down) in the end anyway, thus potentially degrading quality.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-03-05 14:02
Just change the "Clipper". It's proven to work with viewports.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-03-05 15:08
Can it clip on a rotated or otherwise transformed rectangle?
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-03-06 12:40
No, it clips to a regular rectangle of screen pixels, using glViewport. Why? I thought the point was to confine the Clonk to a regular rectangle?
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-03-06 13:49
I'd like to keep the possibility to rotate pictures since it also works for sprite-based ones. I wonder whether this is possible using the stencil buffer.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-03-06 18:48
Why not just also clip transformed pictures? If you transform a picture to gigantic sizes, it shouldn't cover the whole screen either, should it?
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-03-06 19:08
Of course it should, otherwise you wouldn't need to scale it in the first place(?)
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-03-07 14:27
Why would you want to obscure the whole screen with a Portrait? The only use cases for transforming a portrait I can think of are attracting attention and indicating some state of the real object. Both shouldn't make the Portrait bigger than the corner of the screen it's occupying, and clipping would only come into effect for the corner cases where it unintentionally does.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-03-07 15:24
I think this is simply inconsistent. If I set a DrawTransform for an object to make it fill the whole screen then it is not clipped to its shape either. And it still doesn't solve rotation.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-03-07 21:02
It's clipped to the viewport. Just as one player's viewport shouldn't interfere with another player's, the HUD shouldn't interfere with the landscape. Besides, inconsistent is good when there's a reason for it.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-03-07 23:29
The HUD is not the only place where pictures could be used. For example there might be a scroll which adds a hut to a player's knowledge of buildings he can construct when reading it. On that scroll there could be the picture of that hut (using an overlay I guess). Now if the scroll is enlarged or rotated for whatever reason then the hut overlay should do the same of course.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-03-08 15:37
The hut overlay wouldn't be part of the HUD in that case, so that's a completely different situation. Except when it's in the inventory of the Clonk, where both the scroll and the hut should be clipped. In other words, the clipping should be a property of the HUD, not of the model/picture.
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-03-08 19:06
I agree with that. I was rather thinking of general clipping for mesh pictures.
Parent - By Carli [de] Date 2010-03-06 19:25
??

with stencil test you would do do too much effort for this small feature.
scissor test would be more efficient.
Parent - By Carli [de] Date 2010-03-06 13:16
use the scissor-test!
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2010-03-04 14:53
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-03-04 15:36
Are you talking about the Clonk being rendered at an incorrect position or about the spear being stretched? Any way, both are not an inherent problem to perspective rendering and should not be an argument for showing something else instead. See #147 for the first problem, and Newton's post for the second (I'm not sure I like it as much as he does, but this could also be fixed to be less extreme of course.
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2010-03-04 15:42
Omfg. Three doublicates... Was on wrong position.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2010-03-04 14:52
I think someone already posted pictures how that could look. Can't find them though...
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-04 15:04 Edited 2010-03-04 15:07
Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2010-03-04 15:32
Yeah, I like this one better.
[x] Signed
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Small pictures of the Map in HUD