Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / [Request] Documentation overhaul
- - By Newton [de] Date 2010-03-17 01:47
The docs need some attention because a lot of what is written about C4Script is not really true anymore, some articles are outdated (e.g. renderclonks), many examples are wrong and a lot is not translated into english (anymore). If there is anybody who would like to help, the following needs to be done:

1. Revision of the parts of the reference that explain the language, the game data etc. (everything that is not the function reference)

2. Revise examples and descriptions of functions: Many examples are not correct anymore as well as the descriptions of functions. The most common reason is the change from GetX(obj) to obj->GetX() as well as the replacement of FindObject with a new function (formerly known as FindObject2) and the introduction of nil.

3. Translation of German into English: In openclonk/docs/, there is a file called en.po where for every German string, there should be an English translation. Search for msgstr "" to find the untranslated strings.

None of the three different tasks is anything that can be done in a few minutes, all three are major tasks. That's why I suggest that if you want to help to update the docs by say having a look at the descriptions and examples of the function reference, you just note down here what parts of that task you want to do. E.g. for the function reference: all functions starting with the letter A-D.

To edit the documentation, you need to get the source. The docs are in openclonk/docs/. See the mercurial guide on how to checkout the source.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-03-17 12:47

> Translation of German into English: In openclonk/docs/, there is a file called en.po where for every German string, there should be an English translation. Search for msgstr "" to find the untranslated strings.

Also look for "fuzzy" messages (search for "fuzzy" in en.po). These normally occur when there are two similar German strings in which case gettext takes the translation for the first also for the second. This might or might not be correct which is why it marks them as fuzzy. So if you encounter these check the English translation carefully and remove the line marking them as fuzzy if it is correct. If it is not fix it and remove the fuzzy line as well.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2010-08-20 16:11
I resolved all but 18 fuzzy translations(see attachment, ISC implicit), can you or someone else check whether it was done right, and complete the remaining fuzzy's.
Attachment: fuzzy_fix.patch (117k)
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-08-20 22:16
I fixed a few tiny things and then committed it.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-08-21 18:21
So at this point, the migration from German docs with en.po to English docs with a de.po could be made. But I have no clue how that could be done. Anyone?
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-08-21 20:17
I try to write a script to do the conversion.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-08-22 14:36
OK, I have pushed the result. Note the comment on <literal_col> in the bugtracker.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-08-23 14:43
I'd probably have wrapped the cell contents in <code> instead, but your solution works, too.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-08-23 14:56
I was thinking that <code> would change the visual appearance of the cell. Does it? It might actually be appropriate in these cases but on the other hand I wanted to change as little as possible with this patch.
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2010-08-23 22:39
It does, and it'd be appropriate. It's not C4Script, but still code.
Up Topic General / General / [Request] Documentation overhaul