Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] Cannon
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-02 01:53 Edited 2009-08-02 08:51
This is the first finished model, rendered in Anim8or. As I recall, it has 385 polys. I do notice the horribleness of the wood texture, but I'll finish this up in blender.
---
Second picture is the -much- improved model I fixed up in blender. Fully rigged, fully animated (hopefully, see below), and fully textured.
Currently, the cannon has these animations:
-Aim
-Turn
-Roll (wheels turn)

Also, I have a question about the animation of the turret... how should it be done? As the angle is defined by the player, is it possible to set the specific frame of an animation in the current engine? Currently I have an 'aim' animation with 90 frames for each degree of aim.

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-08-02 12:09
I'm sure you can delete many hidden faces...e.g. the cylinder between the wheels.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-02 22:50
If I did that I would need to make a texture on the bounding wooden frame... the axels do not have any connection vertices to the rest of the model. I'll try that and see how it turns out.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [es] Date 2009-08-02 23:20
Looks quite nice. But there's one problem. You basically took the stuff from CR and just remodel it for OC. I don't think we want a game that looks almost the same than CR. What about giving the objects a new design touch? The cannon may look like a realistic one.
Here are two nice examples of different designs:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/Cannon_pic.jpg
http://www.dacorumsac.org.uk/Images/Cannon/cannon1.jpg

In addition you don't need to copy the "boxy" design of CR. With zoom it is possible to provide the model with much more details (in terms of old clonk, look here how it can look).
Well, just try to not copy the CR style but start a new one.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-03 00:33 Edited 2009-08-03 06:11
I was using the Cannon icon in CR as a reference image... xD.

I'll start work on a pseudo-realistic cannon then. But from what people preferred for the shark, I assume we're sticking to a cartoonish style?
I don't want to make a cannon that totally doesn't fit to the game.

What do you think of the new cannon? :)

Parent - - By Ape [fi] Date 2009-08-03 06:33
Now that looks awesome. But what is the polycount?
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-03 07:02
Also, last time I checked the polycount was around 950. 0_0

I've been optimizing it, but I haven't checked in a while.
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-08-03 09:50
Now this looks cool! Can you please always post the model (.obj or something) too?
I also agree with Clonkonaut. We should not use the CR models as reference. The graphics of CR were renewed graphics back from Clonk 3 or 4 which were made for a much smaller resolution with only 8bit color etc.

Moreover I want to say that you are really doing a wonderful job. You are very assiduous. :-)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-03 11:03 Edited 2009-08-03 11:33
Thanks for the compliments :D

Sorry that I haven't posted the object yet, but I was still working on it. It's pretty much finished now though. I guess I have a phobia for releasing unfinished work... lol. Others would have to redownload, complications etc. (and bad meshes make me feel like a newb)

Clonk is probably my favourite game, and I love the opportunity to combine my passion for 3D modelling with my passion for Clonk.

----
The file below contains the OC Cannon.obj and OC Cannon.mtl files. I honestly don't know how .objs work, so it might not have rigging/animations.

+The new picture is the (likely) finished model contained in the zip. The polycount has been cut to 595.

Attachment: OCCannon.zip (10k)
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2009-08-03 13:18

> The file below contains the OC Cannon.obj and OC Cannon.mtl files. I honestly don't know how .objs work, so it might not have rigging/animations.

What other options does your modeller offer?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-03 15:24 Edited 2009-08-03 15:32
I've been using blender to finish my models, so there are quite a few it can export. The only format I know of that saves animations is the OGRE exporter, though.

It would seem simply supplying the .blend files would be alot easier, as from what I've seen the only .mesh.xml importer is for blender.

Edit: Hmph.
"Armatures and animations are not yet imported. -OGRE Importer"

Maybe someone knows of blender exporters to other programs which support animation?
Parent - - By Ape [fi] Date 2009-08-03 16:01
You should supply the .blend and OGRE files.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-03 16:19 Edited 2009-08-14 03:42
Sounds good. Assuming this stupid connection doesn't die during the upload (as usual).

Whoops. Forgot to pack the textures with the .blend. Cannon.blend.zip has the textures packed into the .blend file, but doesn't have the OGRE .mesh.xml files.

(download latest files from next post)
Parent - - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2009-08-07 09:13
I linke the model, but not the texture on the metal part. Is that a FallOff-Map? :/
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-07 17:40 Edited 2009-08-14 03:46
Just a diffuse; however, it seems that I forgot to enable UV mapping on the texture, and that seems to be why it looked so odd.

fixed:

Attachment: OCCannon.blend (726k)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2009-10-07 17:59 Edited 2009-10-07 18:17
When I open it with blender, the uv mapping is a mess.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-10-07 19:11
Do you mean that none of the textures align, or that it's just a really terrible UV map? As I recall the cannon has quite a horrible UV map and I intend to redo it when necessary (now?), as I have now gotten more experience in UV mapping.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2009-10-07 20:35
I meant that the uv-mapping is a mess and doesn't look like anything, it looks like it has not been made yet.

Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-10-07 20:50 Edited 2009-10-08 02:46
Oh dear. I'll get to work on that when I get home, then.

EDIT: I was thinking about the gatling gun before; it used to have a shoddy UV map but was improved since. I've started work on a cannon UV map; but this is one messy job I made that needs to be cleaned. I've started work on this, and it should be done sometime tomorrow I think.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-10-09 04:00 Edited 2009-10-09 04:44
UV Map finished; working on texture. Also removed many unnecessary polygons (such as the barrel ridges) and used texture details to replace these.

Edit: The new texture is almost finished. There are still a few islands that need texturing, but the camera manages to avoid these. It needs a little colour saturation I think.

Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2009-10-09 11:04
I like the wood color of your cannon.  Especially the color scheme of the last cannon you posted (yeah, more saturation). One remark because I just have one metal toy cannon from my brother in my hands. The barrel should be thicker to the back and longer, so that it rotates not around one end, but a bit more around the center of the barrel.
Also: The cannon should be able to aim lower than horizontal.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-10-17 03:50
For the record, the I've fixed up the cannon and pushed it. However, there are some problems still; because the barrel's fulcrum ("Stützpunkt/Angelpunkt") is closer to the middle of the barrel, the cannon has some clipping issues when tilting the barrel. These parts of the chassis which clip should be moved or removed, but I can't decide which would be best.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-01-11 15:35
Very probably, CKs renderer will have problems with rendering this model. Can somebody export it into ogre and test it ingame?
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] Cannon