Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] Gatling Gun
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-10 00:38 Edited 2009-08-10 02:02
To be honest, it's a Hotchkiss cannon. But in essence, it's a rotating repeating cannon. I preferred the Hotchkiss cannon because it seemed more 'rustic' and imo fit well with the existing cannon, wooden lorry, and the concept of using muskets.

Model Info:
754 Faces (Non-Optimized)
Fully textured.
Update: Fully Rigged and animated for all concievable movement. To fit with the asymmetry, I made animations to work with this.
Animations:
*SpinStart - Starts spinning the barrels
*SpinFire - Spins the barrels at a continuous speed for firing
*SpinStop - The barrels spin down to a stop
*Roll - Forward movement
*DirLeft - The gun faces left
*DirRight - The gun faces right
*TurnLeft
*TurnRight
*Aim - 45 degrees of aim ( 90 degrees looked incredibly weird and clipped with the chassis )
*ClipIn - Has a clip loaded
*ClipOut - Removes Clip

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-08-10 10:10
Cool! Some feedback:

• Keep in mind that the ingame graphic will be not more than something around 80x80. For that, there are too many geometric details like e.g. the handles at the back

• I don't like the texturing, especially the yellow parts. The colors don't fit to each other and the textures look washy and plastic-like. If you have a good UV map, I could re-texture it later.

• I don't really know the difference between a Hotchkiss gun and a gatling gun but I must say the shape (and coloring ;-)) of this is much more appealing to me. But then again, the Clonk weapons don't need to perfectly resemble real weapons. I'd suggest you make the barrel bigger (and thicker) and the stand less long.

• It looks like you used a transparency map for the wheels - or are these polygons? In any case, they look very thin.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-10 19:42
Recently I have been optimizing this cannon a bit, so making changes won't be very difficult (ie: adding more barrels, an such). Also, the first thing I did was get rid of those ugly handles and replace them with niiice looking alpha mapped planes. Once I reshape the barrel and stand, I'll supply the .blend with a UV map. I never was great at drawing textures. xD

PS: The wheel's spokes are alpha mapped, but not the outer ring of the wheel.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-08-10 19:31
Maybe you could make the three pipes more like thisone.
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-08-17 10:58
I can remember, that in this game, this wasn't a gatling gun, but an automatic cannon. :o
Parent - By Travis Date 2009-08-18 23:41
Pls tell me the difference. No wait, don't tell me.
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-08-10 23:06

> *Aim - 45 degrees of aim ( 90 degrees looked incredibly weird and clipped with the chassis )

Hmm, the gatling gun should be something like a replacement for the crossbowas anti-air.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-10 23:46 Edited 2009-08-10 23:50
With the resized chassis the turret can now turn 90 degrees without clipping. It still looks weird imho, but it works anyways. Also doubled the barrel-count. Looks moar awesome. Also has much more unqiue style. :)

Also, here's the .blend and uvmap. The blend has every texture other than the UVmap packaged (alphawheel, handle, wood).

Almost forgot, I fiddled with the aim animation; now there are two: Aim45 and Aim90. Whichever works, I guess. :)

Attachment: Hotchkiss.zip (148k)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-17 22:20
After I was told textures are going to very likely be a single file per mesh, I fixed the Gatling Gun to work as such. Also some minor mesh fixing.

Attachment: Hotchkiss.blend (321k)
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-08-18 00:37
Probably, for every texture there will be one UV-mapped texture. One for color map, one for transparency map etc. But transparency (maps) are not implemented yet, so don't put too much effort into it as we don't know exactly how it will work.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-18 01:24
For small objects such as the musket, we wouldn't need alpha maps anyways; just keep them for the icon but remove them for the ingame mesh.
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-08-18 09:49
But now I've found a problem... you'll need for every aiming degree a new barrel rotating animation, that might be a hell of work, not just for the graphic artist. O.o
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-18 23:37
You can't blend two animations together? :(

Currently the barrel rotating anims and the aiming anims don't apply keys to the same bones.
Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-08-19 08:56
Thats not the Problem... 8 for starting 3 for running and 8 for cool down (e.g.).
8+3+8=19
19x10 (ok, 90°/9)
=190 Pictures, 30 Actions?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-08-19 09:36

>You can't blend two animations together? :(

Of course we can make that somehow. Even if we would have to keep the animations (the barrel and the cannon) as different models in different graphic-files
Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-08-19 13:28
Oh, he meant this... ok.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-21 17:29
Could you commit it to the repository?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-21 19:12
Sure, but I'll remake the UV-Map first. As I recall it was fairly terrible.
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-21 19:23
And please make it quadratic, the last you posted here was not and the engine doesn't accept non quadratic (perhaps this can be changed sometime)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-21 19:33
I figured that out when modelling the spear... hence the "ye old waste of pixels".
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-02-22 14:37
It's the perfect place for some hidden easter eggs!

Or different spear paintings. One for the Apalachian, one for the Inuit spear, one for the Amaclonkas spear...
Parent - Date 2010-02-22 09:26
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] Gatling Gun