Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] Lapidary Machine
- - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2012-07-30 15:01 Edited 2012-07-30 20:03
Hello everyone. I have created a machine that can refine specific raw materials.

I thought that at first the crusher (next at the throw-in) rotates and cleans the object from dust, dirt and rocks, then the cutter does the finishing. The chimney ejects dust and smoke.

Materials that could be refined:
- Granite chunks -> Rock
- earth + water -> loam
- rough gems -> cutted gems
- for alchemic recipes:
- ice -> water
    - gold bar -> gold dust
    - coal -> coal dust
    - gem -> gem dust
    - bone -> bone dust

Some screenshots (texture is experimental):
219 points and 101 polys.

The object (no script) and .obj is attached
I hereby license the file lapidarymashine.rar under the CC-BY license

What are your thoughts? :)
Attachment: lapidarymashine.rar (606k)
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-07-30 15:41
I really do like the model. I was just about to start thinking where we could use this ;)
Because I can't really imagine the purpose of this building. You do mention what it does, granted. But where exactly does it fit into the game? Except for water + earth -> loam (which is already done by the foundry) everything else you describe is new stuff. I do not say that your object would not fit anywhere but just saying "it does crush gold to gold dust" is a bit weak. What is gold dust needed for? Where do you get granite chunks from?
As I see it this machine is a major change to existing production chain concepts and 'just so' introduces a few whole new objects/materials with no supporting concept on infrastructure. If you really want to bring in this ground shaking building, you should give more input on why it's needed and where everything belongs especially considering current settlement planning (see here).
Parent - - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2012-07-31 08:11

>I do not say that your object would not fit anywhere but just saying "it does crush gold to gold dust" is a bit weak.

The dust items are enventually useful für alchemic uses. If the building is alchemic exclusive, I would change the model + texture to less industrial design.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-07-31 13:34

> useful für alchemic uses

Again very unspecific and far off existing objects/plans. There is no alchemy in the game. There is the chemical lab, used to produce explosives. But nothing that qualifies as 'alchemy'.
Note that the goal of OC is not to simply recreate everything there was in CR. I know of course what purpose alchemy served in CR. But in OC we do not have any concept regarding magic and furthermore of course nothing like alchemy. So the question remains what you have in your mind when you say alchemy.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-07-30 16:02
On a second thought I realised that you might just wanted to dump the model in here and leave the rest to anyone interested in including it into his/her object pack. Which then is totally okay since we do not have another place to dump stuff.
I just can't think of a good inclusion into the original pack.
Parent - - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2012-07-31 08:08

>I realised that you might just wanted to dump the model in here and leave the rest to anyone interested in including it into his/her object pack.

I wanted to dump the model here to release a discussion if it's needed here.

I also have some rough gems and polished gems + some landscape materials of them. I had see the topic "gems" somewhere here. I will add them sometime.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2012-07-30 20:09
The scale looks a bit odd as this machine seems to have a roof. I think it would also be a good improvement if you made the rotating elements bigger / broader to look more like parts of a 'Getriebe'.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-08-02 19:45
Just wanted to throw in my two cents; I agree with Clonkonaut that I can't see where it would fit into the existing game. But I do like the model/texture. The texture looks a bit high-res (512x?), but scaling it down is of course easy enough. The poly-count of the model is perfect for OC's standards, and I also like the grungy style.

Have you done much texturing before? I'm supposed to finished the rest of the existing buildings' 3D models, but texturing buildings is tedious and slow for me. Regardless, once I've finished a building it will be uploaded to the resources repository if you want to have a go at texturing one.

Remember when using textures to make sure their license is CC-BY, public domain, or something equally free; otherwise we can't legally use it.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] Lapidary Machine