Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Power lines?
- - By Anonymous [de] Date 2012-10-16 18:28
Back in the old days one needed power lines. I can't seem to find them. How do I connect my Windmill to my Lumber jack? They are directly besides each other, but the Lumber jack gets no power. So I assume that power lines are still needed?
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-10-16 18:43
You need a flag.
Yep, tutorials are worthless.
Parent - - By Anonymous [de] Date 2012-10-16 19:03
To bad that it doesn't explain it. It simply tells we need a flag, but it does not tell me why. I did not connect the terms "power" and "flag", because the tutorial didn't explain anything, it's just giving orders without explaining why specific tasks are needed.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-10-16 19:20
I should probably force-display that message...
Parent - By Anonymous [de] Date 2012-10-16 19:23
Yeah, I found it now to, after trying again. If you build your first building and the guide suggest you to buikd the next building, the user won't look again on how to build. But sadly this is exactly the message that contaisn the most important information from the whole tutorial. ;)

Maybe all tutorial texts should be visible constantly at the top of the screen.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-16 20:12
Maybe it's a bit complicated, but what about this. Always when you build a electric consumer, that's not in reach of a base or close a windmill, a message appears that says something like "No power. Make sure the building is inside of your or a friendly base or close enough to a power supply."
And maybe a Don't-show-this-again-button, if the message is getting annoying.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-10-16 21:31
I'd rather add an icon to the construction site (placement) that shows the power/flag status.
Parent - By Anonymous [de] Date 2012-10-17 10:35
Either of these suggestions would be a great step in the right direction of user-friendlyness (at least for beginners).
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-17 21:59
Ok, but will very new users immidiately realize what the icon wants to tell them?
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-10-18 19:35
It gives the a reason to toy around..
Parent - - By B_E [de] Date 2012-10-17 10:45 Edited 2012-10-17 11:34
Why aren't all the messages force-displayed? They don't take up much room and you could prevent exactly that. They don't really hurt, and having to look for that small icon every time you don't know what to do (especially if you have some jobs to do like in the settlement tutorial, rather than having to follow a path). At the moment it is a real nuisance to keep having to use the mouse to hit the small icon in the top every single time.

[Edit: grammar]
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-10-17 10:50
One of the reasons I want nice dialogues with a big continue button. ;)
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2012-10-17 11:20
Motivate someone to clean up and redesign the old CR menus :)
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-10-17 11:28
I already annoyed Peter to implement a TextArea-Function so we can do it in Script.
(We practically already have everything in script. Just take a look at the construction menu for example.)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-17 12:13
Not 100% true. What we don't have in script and what we had in CR are asynchronous menus. Meaning that the player can select an entry in the menu or look up descriptions smoothly even if there is lag.
Another very, very, very (very!) important point is menus being independent of your resolution. Take the construction menu for example: on my resolution it is so small that I can barely see anything. But we can't make it bigger, because it would break for low resolutions.

The Caedes buy-menu is already pushing the limits: you can't see the lower half of the icons in the last row
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-10-17 12:27
Where's the "Like" button when you need it ;)
Parent - - By Cmdr. Adler Date 2012-10-17 12:42

> Take the construction menu for example: on my resolution it is so small that I can barely see anything. But we can't make it bigger, because it would break for low resolutions.

Is it possible to change the UI into something scalable? Maybe like the landscape? So there would be no need for keeping it "fixed".
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-10-17 13:44
This is already done using "GUIZoom". I don't know if GUIZoom is enabled at the moment; I guess it is not.
Parent - By Cmdr. Adler Date 2012-10-17 14:17
Problem solved. Thanks. :)
Parent - By boni [at] Date 2012-10-18 17:34

>Another very, very, very (very!) important point is menus being independent of your resolution

Hm. I was under the impression that the GUI elements (speak: parallax 0/0) were already zoomed depending on the resolution so it's the same on all machines?
Parent - By Gurkenglas [de] Date 2012-10-16 20:05
Perhaps instead of a blinking red energy icon, buildings out of the range of a flagpole should display a blinking red flagpole-icon? (While you're at it, make the flagpole give a preview of what buildings it will power when you are placing it)
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-16 19:14
The flag counts as your homebase. Everything in your homebase belongs to you and energy producer and consumer in your base are automatically connected.
Basically you have "energy" as a resource of your base - it is planned to make it a bit clearer how much energy your base currently has
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Power lines?