Not logged inOpenClonk Forum - Archive
Up Topic Community / Off Topic / Werewolf: The Game Thread!
1 2 3 Previous Next  
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-05 14:36
Impossible, I can't be killed! According to arXiv.1009.1031 and arXiv:math/0609534v4, the optimal strategy for wol...AAAARRGGHHAR

.oO( xXXX )
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-03-05 17:47
So with Sven2 that makes two people we have sacrificed just to make it plausible for me to be innocent? That seems like quite a stretch.

Also note that Fluff hinted before at other roles existing. Just that piece of information alone would make it very risky to lie about our status in our position.

Given that Pyrit has now voted/accused us two times, he's my next vote for hanging.
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-03-05 20:02
I heard Pyrit shout around at night. Why would he do that? Just hide under your blanket, close your eyes and be quiet. It's much safer this way!
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2013-03-05 21:35 Edited 2013-03-05 21:37
Peter, do I look to you that I actually consider stuff that was said before it all started? I may have behaved differently if I considered that. Still, since you haven't told us anything, I assume that something made it impossible for you to speak more clearly, which means there could be even more people hiding like that.
Anway, Pyrit is a dead man.

Btw, I've got a light uneasines about Andriel. I've seen him walking around outside, but he's kept his head out of everything. What does that mean?
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2013-03-05 21:41 Edited 2013-03-05 21:45
Actually, I'm convinced now that Sven2 wasn't a werewolf. But I dunno, ker tries to get me hanged all the time, that's mean. :(
Now I'm for hanging ker! Staple his ballsack to the ceiling!

Sure, go ahead and waste your votes on me! ;(
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2013-03-05 23:12
The way I reason about it (PeterW being no werewolf), Pyrit and Andriel are the remaining wolves. If not, we're screwed. End of story.
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2013-03-05 23:19
Also, as this is now clear to me, I can probably explain why I voted for PeterW: I intended to switch if it made a difference (so I could kill Sven, which I believed to be a good idea at that point.) I didn't want to risk a stalemate, though. Also, I wanted to see if someone followed me with that vote.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-03-06 11:20

> Peter, do I look to you that I actually consider stuff that was said before it all started? I may have behaved differently if I considered that. Still, since you haven't told us anything, I assume that something made it impossible for you to speak more clearly, which means there could be even more people hiding like that.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. Showing your complete reasoning isn't a good idea no matter what side you are on - everything you post is public, and you want the other side to make mistakes.
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-03-06 13:23
maybe the next game should require roleplay inside the thread? :D
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-03-06 13:37 Edited 2013-03-06 13:44
As far as I'm concerned, I'm making quality chairs and tables all the time while plotting the villlagers' - er - wolves' demise. Just remember: If you were eaten by a wolf today, wouldn't you want your last purchase to be of real quality woodwork? On that note, did you know I produce 100% organic coffins at very affordable prices?

Sorry - I'm not good at roleplaying :)
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-06 13:47
And the voting is as follows:
Pyrit 3 votes - PeterW, Ker, Caesar
Ker 1 vote - Pyrit

"No! Hang Ker! Ker is a werewolf!" But Pyrit's accusations went unheeded. Thirsting for vengeance, the villagers dragged him to the gallows, and pulled the lever. They waited. Their patience was rewarded.

Pyrit was a werewolf!
The third night has begun.
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-03-06 14:58
*huddles to bed* *puts the hammer under the pillow* *hides under blanket* zzzZZZzzZZzz I'm also bad at RP. But I like any attempts at it. No elaborate stuff necessary.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2013-03-06 16:02
Hoo - hoo - HOO !!!

-- The Sheppard --
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2013-03-06 18:15
"Your village is doomed! You all will run short on fish now!"
~the fishermans last words~
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-08 00:09
Thrilled by their success in hanging the wolves, the villagers assemble at the gallows to prepare the fourth day's debate. They mood begins to dim when they realise that, again, they are one fewer than yesterday.

A journey to the farmhouse confirms Caesar's grisly demise. Some of the villagers may never again eat a cow after seeing the mess left hanging from one of the meat-hooks by the pasture.

Caesar was killed by the wolves!
The forth day has begun.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-03-08 09:23
I thought from the start that not saying much would be a good idea for wolves. Therefore it's clear that the silent Andriel must be the remaining were!
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-03-08 10:26
BURN THE HERETIC! *swings hammer*

sorry about that outburst. I mean Andriel
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2013-03-08 11:25
Andriel is definitly the remaining werewolf. We're done here.
Parent - - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-08 20:10
The remaining three villagers turned on Andriel, who continues his cunning strategy of doing nothing. Taking him by the arms, the the carried him to the gallows, while he didn't resist in the slightest. They strung him up, and pulled the lever. Still, he did nothing. He didn't even fall.

He floated in the air. The blood began to rush to his feet. Which fell off. He opened his mouth, and started singing show-tunes. By the end of the song, all his hair had fallen out, and he had begun to spin, slowly at first, but gaining speed, until eventually took off, flying straight into the sky, dragging the gallows with him.

The villagers looked up at the rapidly dwindling figure. They decided that...

Andriel was a werewolf!

The villagers have won!

And yet, as they looked around, the victory felt hollow. The village, once a peaceful place, was broken and blood-stained. The fields would no-longer be sown, the animals untended, the inn was empty. The fish nets were broken, the church-doors barred, and the trading post un-manned. They would never be able to go back to the lives they had lost.

But, thinking back to those carefree times, they knew one thing for certain; Andriel, Pyrit and Zapper had not always been werewolves. This curse had struck recently, and it must have had a source.

Luchs looked at the mouth of the cave. He wanted to run. The screaming just wouldn't stop. But as hard as he tried to run, his legs wouldn't move, and he felt himself being pulled into to the blackness, as something reached out towards him...

He woke up. He realised the screams he was hearing were his own. Ker and PeterW helped him to his feet. He steadied himself. In all his years of dabbling in the arcane, he had never once had a true vision before. But it appeared that, as he had tried to See the werewolves, something out there had Seen him. He knew he would never be able to rest easy while the evil that had destroyed his home was still out there. He packed his belongings, and prepared for his first meaningful journey away from the village. PeterW and Ker looked at empty houses around him, and made the decision to accompany him.

Luchs was the Seer!
PeterW was a Mason!
Ker was the victim!
Parent - - By ker [de] Date 2013-03-08 20:21
whaaat :D everyone had an active role but me?!
I feel underpriviledged. oh wait i survived! yay for Team Luchs, PeterW and me.
Parent - - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-08 20:32
Your paranoia was supposed to add drama to the game. You suck at paranoia >=(
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-03-08 21:06
i didn't know i had a role :P i didn't know there was anything but seer, baner, villagers and wolfes until Sven2 died
Parent - - By ker [de] Date 2013-03-08 21:19
oh and also, noone tried to kill me during the day… why should I be more paranoid?
Parent - - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-08 21:28
Because for all you knew, any of the other players could have been trying to kill you very subtly. Wooo~
Parent - - By ker [de] Date 2013-03-08 21:29
I'll take it under consideration. next time I'll be extra paranoid from day 1
Parent - - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-08 21:31
I still wish ARMOR could have survived past day 1. Stupid troll-wolves picked one of the only two people I didn't want them to pick.
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-08 21:34
Btw, the first person to use the phrase "stupid troll-wolves" in a Clonk scenario gets 10 points.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2013-03-08 21:24
Yay, thanks for the great game! :3
Parent - - By ker [de] Date 2013-03-08 21:24
i still think you should've been burned not hanged!
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2013-03-08 21:26
Careful, I still got my stapler!
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-03-08 21:28
*muddles to the forge* *gets hammer*
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-08 21:28
D'aaaw
- - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-08 20:26
Soyeah. It looks like that's game-over.

For the curious, Ker had a secret role, as the victim. Identical to a normal villager, with one key difference: He knew that one of the other villagers wanted him dead, although he had no idea who it was. I can now reveal that the grudge-bearer was...

AlteredARMOR!... Who got wolfed on the first-night. Thanks wolves.

The wolves probably could have made some better choices. There was no real incentive to eat Armor, silent players are usually just as threatening to villagers as they are to the wolves. On the first night, I would have probably gone for Peter or Sven. Although the villagers couldn't be sure of their status, the wolves would have known they were both villagers, and removing at least one of them at the beginning would have probably made their lives easier.

Sven2 on the second night was a better choice, but by then I think it was already too late. Caesar was actually picked by random-number, as Andriel failed to make a choice for that night.

In terms of voting... Well, the villagers got it spot on. Choosing not to hang anyone is almost never beneficial to the villagers, but after that, 3 lynchings, 3 wolves. The wolves didn't do themselves any favour either. People voting for the same person, as Zapper and Pyrit did on Day 2, should always be analysed, (incidentally, Andriel pretty much commited suicide by never voting. Perhaps if he had posted, and been less sceptical of Peter and Sven, they would have been less likely to hang him) especially when that person is claiming to be mason. Wolves will pretty much never lie about being a mason. It makes you such an attractive target for the Seer.

Well done to the Seer, by the way, I don't think the wolves had any idea of Luchs' identity the whole way through. He even managed to find a werewolf. Although, by that time, Andriel would probably have been hung anyway.

Caesar, by the way, was the baner. Sadly, he was unable to protect anyone, including himself. Mostly due to bad luck (Entirely, in his own case. As I said, he died by the roll of the dice.)

Any post-game comments?
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2013-03-08 20:36
Killing Sven was a bad idea at that point. It made Peter definitely non-wolf and mason (or whatever). Which led to Luchs being a villager. (Sven was the only person I'd suspect to play the "kill one of our own".) Therefore Luchs could plausibly show his identity as a seer to those he had examined.
Parent - - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-08 20:39

>It made Peter definitely non-wolf and mason (or whatever).
>Which led to Luchs being a villager.

Sorry, I'm being slow at the moment. Could you just clarify the link between these two sentences for me?
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2013-03-08 20:54

>>It made Peter definitely non-wolf and mason (or whatever).
>Zapper has 3 vote - Sven2, Luchs, PeterW

I was still unsure what Peter and Sven were up to. If the wolves hadn't killed Sven, they could have used him as a scapegoat. It would have been a risky strategy for Sven, Zapper and Peter to play, but on the other hand, if we had just made one wrong decision after not hanging somebody on the first day, we would have lost. So just this one confusion could have led to the wolves winning. (Unless the baner would have shot lucky, which is... improbable.) I would have done that. And so I thought it was plausible and didn't protect Sven or Peter that night, it might have been wasted. I'm a little sorry for that, on the other hand side, I'd have protected Peter anyway, so I don't feel too bad.
But as Sven got killed by the wolves it became evident that both Peter and Sven were villagers. I thought it was improbable that Luchs alone would have decided to kill a friend, at that point he hadn't made as much noise as Sven and Peter. so I knew two villagers. Luchs identity was disclosed to me, and Luchs finally said himself that Ker was not a wolf. (At that point, Sven, Zapper and AlteredARMOR were dead, Luchs, Ker, Peter and me were villagers.) So, game over, from my view.
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-08 21:00
Ah. That is one downside to viewing the game from my omniscient viewpoint: I miss out on that kind of perspective.
Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2013-03-09 00:18
At that point I knew that Sven was a villager, and voting for Zapper was the only option to save him.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-09 00:43
...which makes me wonder why the wolves didn't kill you at that point. Since you were the only one besides Peter and me voting against Zapper, the wolves could have figured that the baner might not yet trust the whole thing and thus probably not protect you. However, the wolves knew that our guess was correct and so there was a high probability that you are the seer.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-08 21:06

>On the first night, I would have probably gone for Peter or Sven

Well, we decided against that because a) we suspected that the baner might protect one of them and b) it would have made clear that both Sven AND Peter were not wolves.
By killing someone completely random, we wanted to make sure that the others could still suspect Sven and Peter. We chose AlteredARMOR partly, because he was inactive and thus would not be too sad for being killed on the first day ;)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-08 21:06
PS: who did the baner protect btw?
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-03-08 21:11
once me (i have no clue as to why), once himself, once PeterW…
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2013-03-08 21:13
Ker (Pretty much random)
Me (I disclosed my Identity to Ker)
PeterW (I was pretty certain that Luchs was the seer, but if he was, there was no point in protecting him, since we would have already won.)
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-03-08 21:34

> On the first night, I would have probably gone for Peter or Sven.

I reckoned that we were somewhat safe, given that we had made ourselves very visibly targets - and therefore the baner might protect us. The wolves might see that coming and not risk a 50/50 chance of losing their guaranteed kill in the night.

> Choosing not to hang anyone is almost never beneficial to the villagers

Hm, if we lynch a random person, with 33% we hit a wolf and are therefore 2 vs 5 the next day, but otherwise we are 3 vs 4 - means on average the new proportion is 0.63, whereas if we kill nobody we are 3 vs 5, which is 0.6. On the other hand, eliminating the seer or the baner has network effects, so I'm not completely convinced...

> I don't think the wolves had any idea of Luchs' identity the whole way through.

Had I been a wolf, I think I would have voted to kill him the second night, by the fact alone that he suddenly voted along with the masons after the first night.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2013-03-08 21:44

>Had I been a wolf, I think I would have voted to kill him the second night, by the fact alone that he suddenly voted along with the masons after the first night.

It would have been more of a coincidence, though.
Parent - - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-08 21:46
No coincidences in Werewolf.
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2013-03-08 21:47
No coincidences in killing a villager, yes, but in killing the seer.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-08 22:17
Thanks for the game, and well done to the survivors :)

I felt that the wolves were favored a bit in this game. We made one mistake in not voting for anyone on the first day, but the villagers were always correct after that. And still, one wrong vote would have meant the wolves win.

Also:
* We didn't have strict deadlines for voting. That helps the wolves a bit imo. Maybe that could be automated?
* The wolves would win on a draw. Why not toss coins on a draw?
* When we didn't vote, noone was hung. But when the wolf stayed idle, a random person was killed? No fair!

But I guess it turned out OK after all since it was exciting until the end. Since I was dead, I was kinda silently hoping for Luchs to be a wolf who played a very risky game of pretending to be the seer. It was very unlikely since he even helped us kill Zapper, but it would have been really cool :)

Btw, what was AlteredARMOR's task? Kill ker AND kill all the wolves? That would have worked only with perfect voting results on his part every single round.
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-08 22:29

>I felt that the wolves were favored a bit in this game. We made one mistake in not voting for anyone on the first day, but the villagers were always correct after that. And still, one wrong vote would have meant the wolves win.

Mathematically, yes. But I really think the masons tipped the odds there.

>* The wolves would win on a draw. Why not toss coins on a draw?

Or just hang both unfortunates.

>* When we didn't vote, noone was hung. But when the wolf stayed idle, a random person was killed? No fair!

Roleplay. No-one voting to hang anyone is one thing. But wolves can't just decide to not kill someone.

Altered ARMOR would probably be considered a "winner" if he managed to kill Ker.
Parent - - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-08 22:31
Also, before my brain finishes shutting down for the night

>* We didn't have strict deadlines for voting. That helps the wolves a bit imo.

Bleh. Mind explaining that a bit for me?
Up Topic Community / Off Topic / Werewolf: The Game Thread!
1 2 3 Previous Next