Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Current league status?
- - By B_E [de] Date 2014-02-20 12:06
From Newtons comment and Sven2s comment I gathered there is some kind of concept to port the Clonk Rage league system to an OpenClonk league. This confuses me a bit, since I haven't been able to find a concept thread anywhere or even a mention of this previously (the last real discussion dates back to January 2013, and before that apparently Maikel was assigned to it "later"?). League always seemed to be "further down the line", so suddenly hearing about the Clonk Rage league system beeing ported makes me wonder. I'd love to contribute towards a new league system, and discuss concepts for new leagues and a modern league system.

While I think the adventure league and in general themed leagues are awesome, in my opinion there are many things to be improved about the Clonk Rage league system, especially since there has been quite a bit less Melee league activity in Clonk Rage compared to a few years back.

What are the plans going ahead with this? Are they discussed anywhere, say in #openclonk?
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2014-02-20 13:20
A completely new league written from scratch may or may not have its merits. There are some ugly parts like the database abstraction and the URL encoding. Those could also be solved by rewriting only relevant parts of the league though.

But since nobody popped up to either partly or completely rewrite the league, discussions about it aren't really helpful.

So my plan is still to finish the league port based on the code taken from the clonk.de league. Most of the work is done for that as mentioned in the posting. But if you plan to contribute something bigger, you are welcome to start a discussion about it.
Parent - By Newton [th] Date 2014-02-21 03:27 Edited 2014-02-21 03:31
There has already been done a bit of work and discussions on that topic. The reason you have not found anything on that matter is because we discussed this in the internal board. Matthes allowed us to develop the openclonk league based on the clonk.de league code, but for security concerns only in private (for now).

Looking at the thread in the internal forum however, there is not so much useful information there (that still holds, a lot about password hashing, SSO etc. ... which is obsolete now) so I don't see a reason to move the thread into developers corner.

Function- and code-wise, the "OC" league is pretty much still the same as the CR league. Instead of a valid CR registration, one will just need a forum account on openclonk.org and can use the same data to login to the league (yet to be implemented by the league).

If you would like to help, that would be awesome! As said, to get it into a releasable state shouldn't be too much work but it would be great to have someone like you having ideas and being interested in developing the league further.
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2014-02-23 20:29

>and discuss concepts for new leagues and a modern league system.

I very heavily discussed the league System with Peter between 2009 and 2011(?). We had some adjustments - and also testing periods for these -, and it's actually working out pretty good. If you compare the Clonk ELO-alike System to different leagues, say Age of Empires 2 Hd (I actually don't know a lot of games) the Clonk system handles unbalanced teams and such stuff really well - which is not even possible in other league systems.

So I think the league system is pretty good as it is. Also since Peter established the Bonus-Point System, the best players are actually on top of the league and "camping" (keeping a high rating while not playing) is not possible.

The only thing I would change is adding more protection for name-changers (I'm annoyed at those people changing nick-names every few weeks).
Also the trophy system could be used more.
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Current league status?