The king is dead.
An unknown assailant found a way into the castle of King Harx, who later was called 'The Cruel'. Against all odds, Harx The Cruel was killed. The assailant quickly vanished, leaving chaos in the keep. Afterwards, many citizens claimed to have seen that person, even helped the cause. Some of which who boasted were killed by angry mobs. Not everyone hated Harx as passionately as others. But too many did. They found Harx' system of taxation unjust and his claimed monopoly over all oil oppressive. However, soon everyone realised that Harx The Cruel had not been the monster they thought he was. He had been an economic genius, managing the kingdom's finance in a carefully balanced way. His diplomatic skills were unmatched as he maintained relationships with neighbouring kingdoms. Always knowing how to exert promises of friendship and threats of war. Without his leadership, the kingdom fell apart. Many small counties declared independence and a civil war erupted; once peaceful neighbours now viciously fought over resources that had once been shared. Other kingdoms took the opportunity to strike and seized the borderlands.
It has been five years since Harx' death. A relative peace has been established in the area that had once been the very heart of the kingdom. A senate, formed by aristocrats, gathered enough forces to get the population back under control. But with many fertile grounds lost, feeding everyone now poses a challenge as well as powerful enemies who still observe the situation closely. A rigorous military service was created to maintain a military strength capable of defending the New Republic, as the new nation was called. Though many of the inhabitants still referred to it as 'The Broken Kingdom'.
My personal goal of this project is to create a campaign which follows the story of the 'official' campaign from Missions. Taking place 5 years later. I don't know yet, how many scenarios to include. It took me a few months now to finish this first one, The Watchtower.
Some feedback is required now because there are probably a lot of things that I didn't realise that will break the scenario. I hope that no further explanation is necessary in addition to the description and ingame dialogue.
The source can be found on github!
- No gamepad support. I don't know how the current status of gamepad support is, overall. The ending sequence requires a mouse so far. For gamepads, I will have to implement a virtual cursor and that hasn't been done so far. In case mouse + gamepad is possible then you can play it.
Playing this does require the 8.0 release!
The package is released under CC BY 3.0 if not stated otherwise (in which cases see authors.txt in object folders).
Beinhaltet natürlich eine komplette deutsche Übersetzung!
The NPC walking up the inventor's lab was super cool!
1. The forest bats ("screechers"?) weren't very dangerous. Maybe they could bite more rapidly.
2. I think the bread counting script also counted bread that was just contained in the clonk and not placed in a chest yet
[10:11:26] ERROR: call to "FxTreeHuggingDamage" parameter 1: passed proplist, but expected int
4. Some more Everrock to prevent players from digging their way left to the "enemies"?
5. Underground, almost everything is pretty easily accessible. Some Everrock and Granite could be used to make it more interesting to explore below the surface.
6. The castle layout is about as exciting as a Plattenbau with its stacks of identical layers. Some ideas:
* Differently sized rooms (like a big throne room or entrance hall with gems as decoration).
* Coal material placed directly in the castle next to the foundries (so it looked like a heap of coal)
* There could be e.g. just two floors of the current size and a large tower in the middle, containing the inventor's lab on the tower at the top (you really didn't fill all that space anyway), so the player could also access the lower roof.
* Some vehicles on the roof (like a catapult and blimp that get destroyed during the attack sequence).
* Spin wheels to control some of the doors (but locked initially).
* A locked armory room with all kinds of weapons just as decoration (again using e.g. a locked spin wheel).
* Windows in the background wall (just leaving some blocks of sky in the background)
* Change floors such that you can also navigate the castle without the elevator. Waiting is so annoying with many players.
You could also host the map in a team editor session just to do the decoration. With 3+ people placing stuff, even with our limited objects, there's usually some nice results. K-Pone always placed lots of decorative stuff in our editor tests :-)
I'll see to fixing the bugs. And, yeah, the tower layout. It has been brought up now by several players. :D Wasn't too bad in singleplayer but I see the detriments to multiplayer. Someone suggested ladders between floors to bypass the elevator which is definitely something to consider. I'm not too keen on changing the overall structural layout since that would require redoing all the sequences. I think about it! Room-like structures are definitely a good idea. I'll host a multiplayer editor game then but after Easter. I will prepare a few custom objects beforehand (like static ladders).
> like a big throne room or entrance hall with gems as decoration
Out of the question! This is a watchtower along a border wall, a strictly efficient military structure!
> A locked armory room with all kinds of weapons just as decoration
Wouldn't that be super tempting for players and raise the question, why in the later game they aren't allowed to access it? ;)
-The names Forward and Backward Tower were a bit confusing, (especially combined with the reversed front line). Foreward Tower in the East/ Backward Tower in the West or something similar would be easier to understand
-When putting more than 40 stones into the lorry, (e.g. 50) -> Talking to Paula, Paula finishes her building -> Quest menu shows "current Stone progress: 10".
-When putting more than 20 metal into the armory, (e.g. 30) -> Quest progress on the top right side shows "Metal in the armory: 30/20"
-when 20/20 or more metal is in the armory, showing a phrase "Enough metal- now build a cannon" also in the top right side quest progress and not only in the quest menu would be nice.
It took us some time until we looked into the quest menu to find out we now have to build a cannon with the metal
-If the player clonk dies, he gets his standard skin back.
-Would be nice for Multiplayer:
Some Quest-giving NPC dialog is unique the first time a player talks with Sam/Paula. Other players will miss this dialog part and only see what the NPC demands, but not when, by whom and which agreements were made.
Perhaps show the Dialog of the NPC/Choices of the NPC-interacting player as clonk-colored message over the respective clonk?
Or even better some general Message, e.g.: "[Name of NPC-Interacting player] agreed (on behalf of us) to collect 40 Stones for Paula"/ "Paula ordered [Name of NPC-Interacting player] (and therefore us all) to collect 40 Stones.
All in all I liked it and more missions would be very much appreciated!
Here are some minor issues I found (haven't checked with the other stuff reported here):
* Those big crates have no interaction image.
* The black part of the background image shows when moving up and down.
* Broken parts (e.g. cannon) do not seem to have enough vertices and move through parts of earth.
* Log sometimes displays "Spawn test".
* The goal does not display to build a cannon, this is slightly unclear.
* In the outro, when the three planes fly off you could add the engine sound.
> * Water barrel skin not reset if emptied.
Iirc, I haven't done anything to the barrel, so I guess this is a general bug?
I'll see to the rest. As for the running around part: you can't really use a lorry, yes, but you can use one of the plenty (small) crates to carry stuff!
> Those big crates have no interaction image.
Can't do anything about that. I guess the problem is that the modell is huge and that is just to much for the camera.
I guess we can come up with an alternative solution if there is no way to make this faster in the engine.
So there is nothin to report except that it would be cool to have a QuestManager(C4D_Goal?) in general, where the current quest is displayed, so you know what's up next. In other scenarios you have a hint on the upper right corner. Probably using this to open up a menu with all Quests-Steps and Sidequests. This could be reused in any other RPGish Clonkscen aswell.
I'm also waiting for the fixes with a bugfix update.
If unsure, you can of course always click the goal icon to see a verbose description.
I (hopefully) addressed all of the little things mentioned in this thread. Also, the tower is now completely new. Thanks to Maikel, Sven2 and K-Pone for an awesome landscape designing job! The Watchtower should be finished now and I will therefore start working on the second scenario.
In Version 1, the elevator was the only way to get to the top and people complained about it being to slow for multiplayer, so now you have the ladders to go around. This probably makes it less obvious that there is an elevator. %) Didn't intend to make this a secret though. A small hint: for the time, you need to grab the elevator case and cannot call it. Maybe that blocked you?
Are you absolutely sure you don't have the old version lying around somewhere? In Appdata maybe where it takes priority over the OC directory or something (or maybe priority is the other way round?). The correct version has some coloured statues right next to the spawn, so you see it right away:
Finished it! The ending sequence was great! There, I noticed that the savegame player was still in the game (this was probably the clone Samuel), so I got points and the savegame player received points, too.
- the game does not start normally - instead I get a spectator-menu that lets me join players
- when joining the game with a player I can choose to enter the attacking team
- there is a second Samuel: One that works with the boompacks, after the siege cutscene, one that is in the initial position, doing nothing
Also, to prove that I am still working on more (even so everyone can check in my repository!), a little video.
The horrors of war are coming to the New Republic and you will be in the middle!
I also tend to push the scenario script with debugs enabled so various things are skipped. Just now I pushed a version with no debug skips, so you can play from the beginning. Mind you, the real gameplay is something I am just about to begin coding, so far you only get lots of dialogue and sequences. ;) But yeah, feel free to test and tell me if the error is gone.
Powered by mwForum 2.29.7 © 1999-2015 Markus Wichitill