Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Revived][Model] Gold chunk
- - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-05 10:06
I'd like to revive the old idea that was discussed earlier.
Right now the gold chunk that is used in the game has round shape (which is not very good-looking and reminds a lot of CR where all material objects were round). Also it has very bright color (which does not match the color of a texture from which this chunks are mined).
Thats why I like to suggest a more natural type of gold chunk. It can look somewhat like the one attached below.
The model is just a brief sketch (too many polies) I made to illustrate the idea

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Attachment: chunk.blend (275k)
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-05 10:59
I think I mentioned this somewhere already, but I dont remember, so I'll repeat(?) it: Why not use proceduraly generated models for materials? We could have low poly UVsphere with randomly offsetted vertices and texture assigned according to material of the chunk. It could be then optimized, and maybe rendered to still 2d sprite. I dont think that storing shape of a chunk would be too costly. Vertices offset from center of object could be stored in 8 bit integer variable to limit memory usage. Or we could make mesh generated at moment of rendering based on general random seed&no. of object so same object would be always the same and there would be no additional info to store. Well, do as you think will be better :P
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-05 11:12
Well that would be realy great. When you blast your dynamite inside the gold mine you will get chunks of different shape. And they will also look differently in the inventory (which would be totally awesome). Possible drawbacks: would it be possible to perform such generation (to make chunks look realy nive - not just like UV-spheres with spikes sticking out of it). What about performance costs (especially when explosion is REALY big) ?
As far as I know, it hasn't been decided yet wheter material objects would be 3D-models or just sprites (as they are now).
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-05 13:25
Well, that should be possible, as long as we would only use very simple algorythms to generate the models it would be pretty fast. I've seen whole procedurally generated city, as well as large voxel maps, so rendering few hundreds(or thousands) of dynamically generated objects should be possible.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-05 12:41 Edited 2010-02-05 12:56
I like that idea actually. I always wondered why so many little balls come out of a explosion in a goldmine instead of actual chunks of the area in which the flint exploded. Misunderstood your idea

But intil someone implements that, we'll use standard objects. And I have to say that this gold chunk looks much better than the current one.
Parent - By Maddin Date 2010-02-05 17:22
It would be cool if the models would turn threedimensional if moved. :D
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-05 12:52
I like that, and I like the gold texture. Where did you get that from? Perhaps it's applicable for material too. Don't worry about these 100 faces too much. Currently it looks like material chunks are gonna stay sprites because 1. there are hundreds of them on any screen and 2. their round-ish shape need really a lot of polygons too look good.

Do you care to create material chunk graphics in 192x192 (3x 64x64) for all materials? Then we have them in a similar style:
So at least gold, ore, rocks, coal, sulphur, ice (perhaps we have a good one already, I think I saw something in the forum), loam

It'd be a nice gimmick to have the same material chunks (e.g. gold and gold) differ from each other slightly to add some variation - let it be even just viewed from another angle.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-05 13:33 Edited 2010-02-05 13:38

> Where did you get that from?

Well, the texture is yours :-)
I just thought that the chunk should look the same as the gold deposit it was mined from. So I applied the texture from this post and got the chunk you can see above.

> Perhaps it's applicable for material too

It is 100% applicable :-)

> Do you care to create material chunk graphics in 192x192 (3x 64x64) for all materials?

I thought we already have some good models (personally I like rock very much. Ore and coal look nice too - but, again, the sky is the limit). We had ice here (nice shape by the way, maybe a little more transparent).
Also I like loam as it is here (maybe it can be made brighter) and a wooden "log" to be something like this (one of my favorite example of changing the CR graphic - still unimplemented).
But this models (and ideas behind them) should be somehow collected in one place.

> Then we have them in a similar style

Well, I see what I can do but it would probably take some time (Busy, busy :-( my bad)
At least I will post the 192x192 of this one in a day or two

> Currently it looks like material chunks are gonna stay sprites

What about dynamite? It looks realy awfull when you zoom in
Parent - - By Maddin Date 2010-02-05 17:23
The rock looks kinda weird ingame imo.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-05 17:25
I agree.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-05 18:06
Why is that? Only because it is flat? Does not look like it was mined using dynamite?
Probably you are right. I see what I can do
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2010-02-05 18:10
Yes, it looks like an already worked rock/brick.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-05 20:09
Also, it seems to be rendered on a strange angle that doesn't match the flat landscape axis.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-05 17:25

>What about dynamite? It looks realy awfull when you zoom in

Someone could make the sprite 3x greater quality I suppose. I think it's currently 1:1, same with the shovel.

>and a wooden "log" to be something like this

Hmm. Might be weird cutting down a tree with an axe into very well processed planks.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-05 18:07
Isn't the tree supposed to be processed into log after it was cut down?
Parent - - By Travis Date 2010-02-06 00:23
What happens to the cartoonish look, brothers? A piece of gold in Clonk should be look unrealistic yellow, like the current.  
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-06 00:40
A cartoonish look became unnecessary when we can put real detail into the art.
Parent - - By Travis Date 2010-02-06 01:28
I like the cartoonish look, but you say the cartoonish look has something to do with the possibilities...that makes no sense. What fits, fits. And the big eyed, round headed Clonk fellow is still too cartoonish to led the style loose.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-06 06:23
Well, there was a difference between the cartoonish "look" I mentioned and a cartoonish "style". The cartoonish look I was referring to was the lack of detail; usually done by artists because it takes less work to draw less detail. I think a pseudo-cartoon style would be good, but it shouldn't stop us from making better looking art.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-06 07:54
As for me, the current clonk model fits perfectly to the photo-realistic surroundings. Aren't you fed up with the cartoonish look of CR? (just kidding :-))
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-06 12:07
Yup, carton-ish models would not fit current (quite)photo-realistic landscape at all IMHO.
Parent - Date 2010-02-06 19:10
Parent - - By zagabar [se] Date 2010-02-06 17:31
IMO that looks nothing like gold. It looks rather like Iron Oxide rich mineral. Gold comes naturally in strains or small small chunks kinda in rock. That looks much more like common mountain rock. Expecially that brown-redish colours makes it look like iron rich minerals which are plain weird tbh. :/

Gold looks like this:

http://www.icon-treasures.com/SPAUNG1.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_i-Lq0_Lr2sg/STWTPFHFTWI/AAAAAAAAAYM/BDnnzkDJ4Rw/s400/goldinquartz1.jpg
http://i.pbase.com/u12/higgmeister/upload/42707791.DSC02266.jpg
http://img2.photographersdirect.com/img/91/wm/pd225837.jpg

Observe that chunks and strains are clearly visible and distinguishable from the rest. I think a game that has mining and geology as a important part of it should make it kinda realistic or else it is kinda silly. : P
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-06 17:34
Totally agreed. We didn't use actual gold texture (at least I doubt this a lot). Feel free to post another, better texture if you find one
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-06 18:57
Believe it or not, gold appears in different kinds.
The texture AlteredARMOR uses is actually taken from a giant gold nugget from some museum.
Parent - - By Travis Date 2010-02-07 01:59
But of course the Gold needs the fancy bright-shining look, that gives the People (and Clonks) the gold-fever. This chunk here looks more like stoney horse turd. :)
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-07 10:59
There probably will be not much gold considering some thoughts from this topic (mainly gold-related). Personally I would like to have this idea implemented very much. So no gold fever, probably :-(
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Revived][Model] Gold chunk