Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Object] Wire
- - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-21 20:06 Edited 2010-02-21 20:17
Some time ago Ringwaul posted his vision of how the wire spool should look. Though I can say that I like his concept, it appears he wanted to improve it some more (but apparently didn't have time for it). So I would like to recreate the discussion and post my own vision of a wire spool. Something like this:

I can not tell that I like it 100% - I believe there is something missing here but unfortunately I can not understand what exactly. Anyway here it is:

Believe me: perspective rendering would look awfull
For ingame use do not know whether there would be Rotate=1 or not so just in case two different orientations:

Rendered it not straightly from side (at a tiny angle instead) to give it a better look
Hope to hear some comments/thoughts/remarks. Thanks in advance.

P.S. A bit tuned image:

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Attachment: wire-1.blend (1873k)
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-21 20:11
hmm, looks more like a string role to me, not a wire roll.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-21 20:16
The role cross section is too small? Maybe too many loops?
Hm, on this bobbin I can roll anything you like :-)
P.S. Just need to know what you really like...
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-21 20:31
Well, I wan't sure myself, this was just my expression, I know it wasn't very constructive.
Perhaps you make a design, which looks like the old wire roll of western. (the one which is still as a test graphic in OC for the line kit)
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-21 21:07 Edited 2010-02-21 21:33
Ah, this:

Looks good, I'd say, though this "roll" shape is rather unusual (if you ask me I prefer a traditional bobbin).
The reason this wire looks good is that it is rolled chaotically. And yes, I forgot about insulation (by the way, do we need insulated or bare wires?)
EDIT:
Fortunately, this "chaotic" look can be achieved by a tricky imitation:

Though it is probably not the way the final variant should look...

P.S. Oh, now it looks like an ordinary thread (certainly not the kind of effect I wanted to achieve :-( )
Wanted something like this (or even this)

P.P.S. Or maybe make the bobbin a bit thinner?
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-21 21:33
hmm, I don't quite like this bobbin. It always reminds me of the string roll. Yes, I know modern cable also come in this kind of bobbin...
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-21 21:35
Maybe in the end I should make the kind of "bobbin" the TEST wire has? :-)
It looks nice, I can tell.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-21 21:48
I think the reason modern cable still comes in round bobbins is for implementation with modern machinery, like this. I think to reel out a wire by hand, it would make more sense to have the cross design.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-21 21:44
Looking good. :D

Now that I think of it, I think a round bobbin/spool would look very strange, considering this wire should be quite large (maybe 1/3 the size of a clonk?). With the "X" design for the spool, it would be possible for a clonk to set it down and pull out a wire without the spool rolling towards the clonk (due to the crossed planks of the spool digging into the ground).
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-21 21:49
I like a thick cable like the rope you posted better. Also, the cable would be better visible on the picture.
Parent - - By Carli [de] Date 2010-02-22 09:28
outch, the model is extremely hipoly, better you try to get such structure effects by having displacement maps and bump maps.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-22 09:35
Does the polycount really matters since the only thing we are going to use is two rendered images?
(I just thought that screwing some circles around the bobbin would be really fun. And it was. Though there are a lot of different ways of doing it).
Parent - - By Carli [de] Date 2010-02-22 11:29
but just think what if we would try to make a 3d openclonk game engine? we have everything we need - script language, 3d meshes with bone animation, …

it would just be a thing of restructuring the code to add a 3d mode to openclonk!
Parent - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-22 12:12
Well, making a 3D game is much much more difficult to do then a 2D game. I think you should know that^^
I worked a bit on CX and also know how difficult this can be.
But yes some little parts of the game now could be used there too...
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-22 11:24
And making bumpmaps is perhaps not a that good idea if we don't know if clonk will support them (now it doesn't)
Parent - By Carli [de] Date 2010-02-22 11:28
But in clonk, you will not see those details.
- By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-21 22:42
Ok, every idea one by one tomorrow evening :-)
Little TODO list:
1) Thick cable
2) X-spool
3) Hm... a bobbin reeling concept
     ________
  /_|  |  |  |_\
/   |________|  \
- - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-22 19:50
Alright, here we go (as I promised):
1) Thick cable for Newton:

2) X-shaped "spool" for Ringwaul:

3) Implementation of my own idea:

To be honest, I 100% like neither of them. Maybe a smart combination would do the thing?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-22 22:05
a really thick cable should consist of many small cables woven together - much like a rope. This one seems to have no texture like the rope.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-22 22:17
Oh, so here is what you meant...
You see, it was much easier with rope because of its netural origin. For artificial wire apllying the same technique would look rather odd
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-23 10:12
Nah, it's fine. I doubt anyone will be complaining about it later.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-23 12:24
And now the X-shaped or loose (like rope) and I'm happy ;-P
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-23 20:40
Here you go:

Attachment: wire6-1.blend (327k)
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-23 22:22
Hmm, I think the wood planks could be a bit thinker. Such a strong cable and such a fragile wood...
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-24 18:04
Anything you like:

Attachment: wire7-1.blend (322k)
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Object] Wire