Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Giant Hammer
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-05 03:35
Well, I've been trying a few design concepts, and I'm uncertain as to which way I should begin modelling this. So, I've put together a few concept models ( I would sketch, but I am without a scanner :p ), and I'd like to see what people think the hammer should look like. I've looked into ancient war hammers, but of course they are much like an axe/mace, not much of a "Slam!!" weapon.

Anyways, if anyone has ideas for what the giant hammer shall look like, it would be appreciated.
Parent - By knight_k [us] Date 2010-03-05 04:54

> a "Slam!!" weapon.

Reminds me of the game Rune, as inspriation see http://www.runegame.com/images/about_rune_images/Concept_Art/hammers.jpg
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-05 09:34
I suggest something like the last one in the picture knight_k referenced.
Relatively short hilt and a HUGE, ENORMOUS (exaggeration would be very "clonk-style") slamming part.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-05 20:11
I would suggest something like this:

(Oh, I would like to make all those small details - like rivets, clinchers and cramps - but again... the polycount... Anyway, the proper texture sould do the thing). I do not post a .blend file because this is only my vision (which could be illustrated by sketch if only I had a drawing skill) - I do not intend to interfere in your work on the Big hammer.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-05 20:18
I've made a reference sketch of what I can imagine the mighty hammer to look like. I don't really like this design with the flared out ends. It looks too much like a battle axe, and they would break off very easily (imho). I'll model that sketch I've made and post it here.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-05 21:47
Alright.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-03-05 20:25
I like the third the most. Perhaps you can add a little more detail based on e.g. the second last hammer in knight_k's picture. Otherwise the hammer should have a very looong wooden bar and a slightly squeezed main part (like the boompack is not entirely just a cylinder but a bit squeezed in the middle too).
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-05 23:20
I tried the squeeze thing, but I the result looked a bit strange.

Well, I quickly modelled my sketch; it looks like such.

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-03-06 01:26
haha ok I think you misunderstood me a bit. I meant squeezed in the middle. The details on the middle of the hammer would go into the texture. So actually, I pretty much opt for your first model (#3) which could be textured more interestingly later.

But the longer I look at your current sketch, the more I like it (minus the details which should go into texture). I'd go for anything that is recognizable as a big hammer. ^^
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-06 01:59

>you misunderstood me a bit. I meant squeezed in the middle.

I tried that, but I couldn't work out anything that looked good. So, I made the hammer have one bevelled side (as per my original sketch).

>The details on the middle of the hammer would go into the texture.

Yes, they are only there for current display purposes.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-31 04:38
Made a texture for the current shape.

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-31 07:17 Edited 2010-03-31 07:26
Now, when you've rendered it 3/4 it looks nice. Though I suggest to make the handle thicker (it looks too fragile right now). Also (I know this is only an illusion) but it looks like it is not connected to the center (and maybe this is exactly the reason why it looks so thin). The side view is OK, thought I suppose it would be rendered at a bigger angle ingame (3-5 degrees)
- - By dylanstrategie [fr] Date 2010-03-31 21:28
The hammer is more like a cartoon feature...

I think the giant hammer too fragile (will break off)

Also the goal is too demage a clonk ? Is seems to be useless, heavy, i think the giant hammer is designed for shot like a golf club, or something like this, i don't think is bad, but a headshot seems to be the goal of this weapon.

Can you create a design like some ''pieces of bark'' (don't know the right word).

Use a german giant hammer, with a joint on the center, the both sides of the giant hammer will grow the joint towards the end as just double axe :/
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-04-01 00:03

>with a joint on the center, the both sides of the giant hammer will grow the joint towards the end as just double axe :/

AlteredARMOR already posted this as a design, and having worked with both metal casting and carpentry, I can tell you this is not a great design. The massive heads of the hammer would create incredible stress on the central joint, and after enough time and use, they would either bend horribly or possibly break off. I'm not trying to perfectly emulate real life with this hammer, but that design just seems ridiculous. :/
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Giant Hammer