Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Tech tree in defcore
- - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-26 05:42 Edited 2010-03-27 05:06
Would it be possible to add a variable or whatever to the defcore of objects to help make a tech tree without having to script one, heres how it would work;

Something like this would be cool since it would make the tech tree automatic in a way.  I didn't know how the current tech tree works, (if there is one), so I thought I'd post this.

Might also want to add another variable or whatever the defines which production structure(s) that can make the object.

Just move the required tech thing form the script to the defcore, that preaty much it.  Didn't know that it was there since it has been said that you can research everything from teh begining.

Anyway, just make sure it doesn't take as long as CR, i hate waitning for CR research to get done.  Mabye also split research between different buildings.  General research is in the Tech Lab, while there would be corresponding labs for ground/underground, air/space, and water/underwater technologies.

Crap, this wasin't supposed to get messed up.

Anyway back to something useful.

If you move the required tech form the script to the defcore. there would be less data since the function would then be needed only once so long as its placed in the correct spot, which i think would be somewhere in the Tech Lab's files.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-26 08:07
And what about altering the "techtree"? (You would have to search for DefCores of ALL objects that use that tree and update them).
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-03-26 09:34
The current plan is to source the DefCore out into the script anyway :]

>..without having to script one..

Even if you put the required definitions in the DefCore someone would have to script the logic of the TechTree - in CR, for example, the interface for the TechTree is a script function called GetResearchBase. (Firebomb: public func GetResearchBase() { return(FLNT); })
The difference whether you have that as an entry in the DefCore or as a function in the script is not very huge there :)
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-26 09:40
Then what about implementing some "global" function for all objects:

public func GetResearchBase(int object)
{ if (object == FBOM) return (FLNT);
  //And so on
}
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-03-26 09:47
How would that help?
That would kill the principle of encapsulation. Imo every information about an object should be findable somewhere inside that object. At least whenever possible. Putting stuff into huge global functions would just confuse everyone
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-26 09:57
You will have all the "techtree" in the same place. It would be easier to control and modify it.
(Hm... this is the only pro I can think of).
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-03-26 13:08

>It would be easier to control and modify it.

Actually it wouldn't. Extension packs would have to overload the function, for example
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-26 13:24
Agreed
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-03-26 09:49

> I didn't know how the current tech tree works, (if there is one), so I thought I'd post this.

Normally the way to go is to first check how it works and then make a suggestion (based on that), not the other way around.
- - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-26 20:16 Edited 2010-03-27 04:56
nevermind
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-26 20:53
There isn't one afaik.

Wasn't the tech tree handled by the research facility in CR?
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-26 21:48
Thats where you reaserched the tech, my idea had to do with the research path/connection/whatevver between objects.

http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?tid=101
Newton said:
How I wrote it down:
[Effectively needed buildings] - ([Letter of building]) [Name of building] - [Needed material]
[What it produces]
[Description]
Something about the way he wrote this makes it seem like it would be part of a defcore or something.

http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?tid=78
One thing i got from this would be, one workshop for air vehicals, one for land vehicals, and one for water vehicals. (might have 1 for on water vehicals, and one for underwater vehicals instead0.  Could also then, once all 3-4 vehical workshops have been researched, and say, advanced vehical construction has been researched, then we could make one structure that makes them all.  (Just a thought)

http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?tid=295
The tech graph that Quit made, also to see how basic objects need to be researched before more advanced ones, play the mission "Deep" from the FarWorlds pack.

None of these really help too much with my idea, but I had at least read each of them like twice before I even had this idea.  So technically, no, there was no current tech tree to "check how it works".

By the way, I'm just trying to help.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-03-26 22:31

>None of these really help too much with my idea

What was your idea again? :S
You wanted to move the definition of the "parents" in the tech tree from the script (as it is currently in CR) into the DefCore. There _is_ a tech tree in CR currently. The player just has no visualization of it. Is your actual problem that the player doesn't have a proper visualization?

>By the way, I'm just trying to help.

Especially ideas from people who are not that deep into scripting and the technical details can sometimes help a lot. :)
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-27 00:19 Edited 2010-03-27 04:55
nevermind.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-03-27 00:51

>Say you want to be able to make a tera flint; [...] Yes this seems like a lot of work

But that is exactly how it is in CR at the moment

>Again, the tera-flint; [...]

So you want to be able to set a research goal instead of just researching one object after another? That would make researching stuff a lot easier for the player. On the other hand it would require one big menu with all the objects from the game that can be researched sooner or later.
I think there was already the plan to make research more "challenging" or "interesting" to the player. Not just clicking a button and wait some time but, for example, having to pay ressources or overall changing the research system

The analyze-feature could be a good idea, dunno how it would change gameplay
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Tech tree in defcore