Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Sword functionality
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-06-06 08:09
Working on the sword's graphics again has gotten me to remember that this item was never really completed. Currently, the sword works as a 'double-jump' item which also deals small amounts of damage. I think we should take a much more basic approach to this weapon; instead of it making the clonk do a running/flying attack, should it not just work like the club's aimed swing? The problem I see is that the sword is creating a "special attack", which doesn't quite fit, because there is no melee weapon which can do a normal attack. Special attacks should be attributed to special weapons, such as the giant hammer or a broadsword, imho.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-06-06 08:19
I had it do just a swing in the first place. The problem with that was that a) you would not really hit your enemy and b) it was boring (aka, you would not want to use it). After testing I changed it to how it is now, but never finished it because I never got any real playtesting or feedback about the current version (even at the CM we did only like two playtests? :< )
The only(!) feedback I got until yours here was that Newton said that the current version is better than the first.

Currently I am unhappy because you can use the sword as a double-jump to get onto enemy towers (f.e.) and that it still does not feel quite right but I had no real idea to improve it without making it an uber get-away weapon (at the moment it applies a slow after the initial speedburst) or a super map-control weapon (would be mightier than the jar of winds to get to high positions f.e.)

PS: Regarding that Broadsword you mentioned. I think we should not have more than one weapon with the same mechanics. Enchanting weapons and adding special attack modifiers to weapons is another thing, though. (Magic Super Blast Hammer!!)
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2010-06-06 14:56
i think i acutally had the idea to make the sword some kind of "jumping"-weapon. i was inspired by the ninja-sword from tee-worlds, where one can do a very familiar attack with such a sword. but i do agree, that it is some kind of overpowered due to the highly inproved moveability.
iirc zapper had the idea to make different attacks for different movement of the clonk.
i could imagine different attacks for standing, walk/running, and jumping then. from the standing, the clonk just makes some slash in the direction in front of him. while walking, he performs some verry small jump forward, combined with a forward-strike. and in the air, he may do some summersault with the sword. (these are just ideas).
i also would support making the "area" in which the sword does damage, bigger, so it is easier to hit. (or make the whole sword longer/bigger.

also, what about those swift "lines" or white fields behind a sword, when its swung in a comic like here?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-06-06 16:24

>i could imagine different attacks for standing, walk/running, and jumping then. from the standing, the clonk just makes some slash in the direction in front of him. while walking, he performs some verry small jump forward, combined with a forward-strike. and in the air, he may do some summersault with the sword. (these are just ideas).

Except for the somersault it currently is basically like that

>also would support making the "area" in which the sword does damage, bigger, so it is easier to hit.

The area is quite huge at the moment IIRC
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2010-06-06 16:35

>Except for the somersault it currently is basically like that

i meant more like a roll in the air without moving in any direction, swinging the sword in a round around one
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-06-06 20:40
I think you've got a good idea here. I've done a basic illustration to convey these ideas.

PS: The sword's fake motion blur always looked good in the 3D zelda games.

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2010-06-06 21:16
almost exactly what i though, except for the jumping attack, i thought about a vertically strike around one, not a horizontal one. something like this , only with a sword going around one, so the jumping attack is not affected by where you click at.
also, without a startup-run, just a summersault in the air with sword.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-06-06 22:07
Hmm, I see what you mean. When I try to imagine a clonk doing this it seems strange... I suppose I would need to see something like this in-game to judge, though.
- By dylanstrategie [fr] Date 2010-06-06 09:51
I find this problem, here is the bugtracker file : http://bugs.openclonk.org/view.php?id=235
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Sword functionality