Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Terrain Generator: What to Emulate
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-05-25 00:37 Edited 2011-05-25 00:57
Currently, the 'Settlement' test scenario has rather ho-hum terrain. Large, sweeping brushstrokes of various materials, massive deposits of gold, ore, and coal, found throughout any level of terrain. Definitely this is very rough and not so nice-looking.

I've made a really quick picture of what a basic terrain should look like when generated. Something like this is very simplistic but also looks appealing.

The earth-gradient is also important. I've added two textures, "earth_topSoil.jpg" and "earth_midSoil.jpg". "earth_Dry" would be the bottom-most layer of the soil gradient.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-05-25 12:48
That terrain doesn't look very challenging.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-05-25 19:24
True, but this is supposed to be "the most basic" example; stuff like cliffs, mesas, mountains etc. can all be derived from the same design of the 'most minimal' example.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2011-05-25 13:00
Not sure what you are addressing here exactly the Scenario.txt generator or the Landscape.txt one? The first may be abandoned completely in my opinion. Regarding the second, what you've displayed here can be generated, though may not be that trivial.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-05-25 13:50
This picture reminds me that we really need mipmapping on the terrain.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-05-26 20:44
Patch is in the repository - textures will now automatically get more blurry when zoomed out. Should look better, even though my scaling is pretty naive. In case we care about this enough, we could have textures specific to each zoom level.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2011-05-26 14:08
Shouldn't the topmost layer be the brightest?
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Terrain Generator: What to Emulate