Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Music Style in OC
- - By Profpatsch [de] Date 2011-01-05 11:14
I'd like to compose some tunes for OC, but there's one question that hasn't been answered yet:

What should be the musical style in OC?

Should there be these overly MIDI-sounding synth organs and strings or real instrumentals (Possible with todays software)?
But I think there's one thing to avoid: Titles with different styles of music.

For myself, I really liked the fresh intro theme in CR, it totally fit the "tiny" atmosphere of the game.
But now that OC is more realistic in it's animations, more realistic instruments would also be a good idea.

| Discuss
|
v
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2011-01-05 11:54
hello profpatsch,

its nice to hear, that someone finally wants to make some music for the game, because that is, what we lack the most (we dont have any music at all.. :I ).

if you search a bit through the forums, you will find some threads which discussed about the same topic.

Some discussions
Butterfly Tea

i personnaly like the music from butterfly tea, espacily the "caverns of time". in my opinion, this is a  very good music stlye for openclonk, allthough it probably does not fit so well for the melees, but for the races. to me, it seemed that a lot of people actually liked it, but unfortunately, we cannot use it due to its license.

im looking forward to hear some cool music from you =)
Parent - - By Profpatsch [de] Date 2011-01-05 12:28
I knew the first thread, but it was too off-topic to be a real discussion thread ("I don't like German music"^^)

I also knew Butterfly Tea, but I think his music has too many asian elements in it.
Personally I love asian music/instruments, but Clonk is more a western-themed game.
We could include some eastern elements, but not that often or for an asian theme pack.
And he's a professional, like you said.

So it should be instrumental, more "realistic" sounding than CR etc.
But maybe not too epic, that style is too worn out by the big blockbusters (WoW, ME, DA:O just to name a few)
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-01-05 15:21
I completely agree with you
Parent - - By Shadow [de] Date 2011-01-06 15:16
You don't like german music? I hope you know about Hans Zimmer.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-01-06 15:55
He never said that, please stop trolling. (and if you are not: search to forums for "German music" to find out what he was talking about)
Parent - - By Casimir [de] Date 2011-01-06 14:33
The licence is no problem. Somebody could contact Butterfly Tea and ask him for permission to use it.

edit
---> butterfly_tea@hotmail.fr
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-01-06 09:34
Personally, I would love a music style similar to Abney Park's Airship Pirate. It contains a fantastic mix of modern and ancient instruments/soundscapes.
Parent - - By Profpatsch [de] Date 2011-01-07 19:00
Hm, I don't  think steampunk fits the Clonk-Style.

The basic Clonk is more natural, not so much gears and steam, but e.g. wooden huts and electricity (wiresets to power builings).

And I can't imagine that song's style in a settle mission ;)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-01-07 19:24

>Hm, I don't  think steampunk fits the Clonk-Style.

You might have noticed we don't follow the 'classic clonk style' by now. ;)
Parent - - By Profpatsch [de] Date 2011-01-08 01:29
http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?tid=15;pg=1

That's the discussion, and yes, I would call it "original clonk style" after I've seen some models. (wooden cabin etc.)
I've noticed that you and Nachtfalter really love the idea of having a "steampunked Clonk".

On the other hand, steampunk could be a reasonable extension after releasing the main game with it's I would call it "clonk-neutral style"
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-01-08 03:13
The current theme is basically late medieval (with few steampunk elements), I see no reason why not to have more advanced game objects styled steampunky.

>On the other hand, steampunk could be a reasonable extension after releasing the main game with it's I would call it "clonk-neutral style"

Care to define what this "clonk-neutral style" is?
Parent - - By Profpatsch [de] Date 2011-01-08 11:09
Yes, the style of Objects.c4d in Clonk Rage / Endeavour / Planet.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-01-08 17:43
And why would we visually-rewind to an over-used non-original style when we already have our own which looks fine? (BTW: offtopic)
Parent - - By Profpatsch [de] Date 2011-01-08 22:14
Right, offtopic, but which one would that be?

Examples? I haven't seen any steampunky models yet. And no music either.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-01-09 03:31
While the style isn't 'steampunk' we have some influences from it.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2011-02-04 13:35
Ok, I made an example. Although it is still unfinished (will probably cost me another 5 hours), I personally was talking about such a style. Kind of mix between jazz / rhythm things and music with atmosphere.

Ah and I need a little bit feedback, the track currently stops at 1:18, the rest is just an idea. The question I have is this: The progression which follows (1:31), what feeling does it leave? Is it like: "A the track goes on", or like "Oh no I wanted that simple part much longer".

ah, and I used this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwoY6Ht7_M4
Attachment: ClonkFeb11.mid (8k)
Parent - - By Profpatsch [de] Date 2011-02-06 14:57
Maybe it would be better to post it in a seperate topic so it is seen more often.

Before I can give you feedback I need to know: Which soundfont do you use? fluidsynth knew the instruments, but maybe has a bad quality compared to yours.

BTW: I really like the ocarina part!
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2011-02-06 15:20
Arranging with soundfonts gave me so much trouble till now. It was always impossible to create the sound I wanted the program to spit out. That's why I completely ignore them currently, I just used guitar pro and edited the instruments and the emphazize things till they sounded a bit like my idea on paper. And I hate that as well, arranging is a pain in the ass.
Parent - By Profpatsch [de] Date 2011-02-06 20:24
As far as I know MIDI, this could possibly mean that I hear something completely different!

Is it possible that you upload an mp3 of this track exported from GuitarPro? So that we can give a better feedback.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-02-06 20:17
I think it's a nice, calm, track. :)
- - By Profpatsch [de] Date 2011-01-08 01:46
Oh, I should have dug deeper in the forums, now I've found this thread, same topic:

http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?tid=39
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2011-01-23 11:38
Another inspirational discussion: http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?pid=8555;hl=music

Well, OC feels kinda raw and still unfinished at the moment. The style should be the biggest question - if you can solve it tracks can be composed really fast after that.

I tried two things to this point: Atmosphere style (Cave, Skylands, Ice-music etc.) - this certainly could fit the game, and enrich a deeper character and feel to it, those feelings people have about landscapes, that you can bring to them. I think you know, what I'm talking about. A lot of fightning music in similar style is available in RPG-Soundtracks as well.

The second thing I tried out, was a more relaxing and versatile style: I tried out funk and jazz, or mixing themes with elements of it like "Tropic fever" did from the first Clonk Soundtrack. But it did not produce fitting results, that I would be happy with.

Currently I'm learning, eager to try again after some time. I plan to use Bjorn Lynne for Inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WBCRwSSla4 (Composer of certain Worms Games by the way)
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-01-24 00:01

>I plan to use Bjorn Lynne for Inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WBCRwSSla4 (Composer of certain Worms Games by the way)

Very cool! :D I love the atmospheric music he's created...
- - By ala [de] Date 2011-01-28 13:00
Could anyone here upload a few OC record files of a few games? (for inspiration / atmosphere)
- my own OC-Skills are just a laugh, an inspiration killer.. (and I currently don't have the time to improve)
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2011-01-28 13:51
more!, much more?
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2011-01-28 14:04
simply join #openclonk in the evening and ask someone to play a game or two and activate the record button
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Music Style in OC