Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / A carry-heavy-object for carriyng carry-heavy-objects
- - By Apfelclonk [de] Date 2012-07-25 12:23 Edited 2012-07-26 11:27
A carry-heavy-object for carrying carry-heavy-objects or simply to attack!

As i read the this topic I thought of mechanics that maybe would replace magic we had in CR which had a tactical use and there was this ToadJump and the ability to create Force Fields to infiltrate the enemy's castle. My Idea is based on a problem I had by settling around in OC with carry-heavy-objects(a shortcut is needed!).
By I climbing with those, I thought something is needed to make it easier to get on a higher place without climbing, because that was kinda illogical with a crate in my hand.
Something like Jack-In-The-Box with a lever that is useable as a short elevator.

Exactly this is my idea:

When you have already placed it, you jump on it and kick it, because you're hands are in use, an after a short while of brewing it shoots you to the top and you can jump off.

So this can be very usefull in settlement and in tactical planned attacks on the enemy's base too.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2012-07-25 12:54
Trampoline, huh?
Parent - By Apfelclonk [de] Date 2012-07-25 19:40
I didn't really thought of shooting the clonk up in the air. Just lift up.

But it may be nice to have a jumping effect on it for melee maps to get rid of your enemy behind you and would add dynamic playstyle too.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-07-26 10:19
I like that idea! Fits the style.

But when you place it, it must get a solid mask. How would you collect it afterwards when you can't stand in front of it?
Parent - By Apfelclonk [de] Date 2012-07-26 10:58 Edited 2012-07-26 11:01
How about improving the grab range a bit. That would be also more realistic if you can grab it from the side than standing in front of it. I would also add a solid mask to the normal crates, that may force the player to build more complex settlements, so they're not in the way for transporting vehicles or something like that. But on the other hand always transporting them away to push a lorry along that way would be annoying.

But another question:

Why do they have a limit of 4 objects? I would set it to 5 or 6, maybe 8 not too hight, but I think 4 is too less that you would really use them.
And then there is the Lorry with 50  Objects? That's quite exaggerated. I think 20 or 25 would give a fitting amount to it.
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-07-26 12:51
We totally need a way to create solid stuff from one side only. Like some fo those Super Mario Platforms. You can jump from those from below, but you can stand on them. If we had Solidmasks, where we could define from which direction they are solid, it'd solve quite a few problems and open up new possibilities.
The engine has to check if the clonk contacts with solid material anyway. Maybe we can add a check for the directional properties to that. So if he contacts to the rigth, the engine would check if the material is actually solid  form the right.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2012-07-26 13:01
That would indeed be a nice feature in general, why don't you just create a bug report for that, so it does not get lost.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2012-07-26 14:12
Sounds like you can easily get stuck in it if you get on top of the solidmask with one vertex but stay within or below with another.
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-07-26 15:24
Hm. Top-Solid thingies only take the bottom-CNAT vertex into account? As it's a rather specific feature, I don't think it'd be too problematic if it also has specific requirements. :I
It'd actually kinda make sense. The thing becomes solid after you're through.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-07-26 16:16 Edited 2012-07-26 16:20
I suppose just ignoring the material for non-matching CNATs would go a long way. Note though that the bottom vertex would get stuck as well if the material is too thick (> 3 pixels or something?). It would also stop movement, so you wouldn't be able to "jump through" the material.
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-07-26 17:17
Hm. What if it's not material but seperately defined areas, that are checked together with material-collision-checks? Too complicated?
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-07-26 17:22
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Something we might think about is trying to tweak the code so, say, lower vertices are ignored when the object is currently in the process of moving up. That would allow jumping-through, and might help with unstuck-ing lorries as well.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / A carry-heavy-object for carriyng carry-heavy-objects