Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Controls revised
1 2 3 Previous Next
Parent - By Nachtschatten Date 2009-04-20 17:11

> Mouse-Throwing

Sounds almost exactly like how throwing works in GTA: Chinatown Wars for the Nintendo DS (putting aside the fact that you use the touch screen there instead of a mouse). Coincidence? You can see an example in the first video of this article at about 3:40. Throwing can even be canceled by dragging the stylus to the centre of the "throwing GUI" (the molotov cocktail in case of GTA, it would probably be the Clonk in the case of your approach), which is a nice detail I'd like to see in OpenClonk, too.
That being said, after using this method for a while, I have to say that it works really well.
Parent - Date 2009-04-26 01:27
Parent - Date 2009-04-27 07:29
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-23 11:10
I would like to suggest new way of selecting Clonks:
1st. When you click mouse wheel menu appears, where are shown all your clonks their surroundings, and inventory, then you just left-click to select that clonk, or right-click to add/remove him from selection.
2st. for keyboard using players - selecting with (Q/E) / (7/9), etc. but by position. In example: when you press Q you select nearest Clonk to your left (or rather to currently selected clonk's left), and when you press E you select clonk nearest to the right.
3st. Also for keyboard players - selecting with (W) / (8), etc. when you press W a menu appears like in mouse control, but you operate it with S/X/Z/C and A/D same way like in 1st. way

The menus should be full-screen large with currently selected clonk in middle. They will be separate renders rendered same way, as viewports for players.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-06-23 14:25

>1st. When you click mouse wheel menu appears, where are shown all your clonks their surroundings, and inventory, then you just left-click to select that clonk, or right-click to add/remove him from selection.

I would rather like the mouse-wheel to be used for scrolling the inventory. Since that is a much more common and frequent operation

>2st. for keyboard using players - selecting with (Q/E) / (7/9), etc. but by position. In example: when you press Q you select nearest Clonk to your left (or rather to currently selected clonk's left), and when you press E you select clonk nearest to the right.

I think that is very confusing, because you would always have to watch where your current Clonks are. Now you only have to remember "Ah, Walachey is the next Clonk, when I have selected Urg.". That is imo easier than to worry about the positions of your clonks. :)
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-23 15:33

>I would rather like the mouse-wheel to be used for scrolling the inventory. Since that is a much more common and frequent operation.

Yeah, scrolling mouse wheel would scroll inventory, but clicking it would open the select menu, as for using items the left mouse button would fit better than middle.

>I think that is very confusing, because you would always have to watch where your current Clonks are. Now you only have to remember "Ah, Walachey is the next Clonk, when I have selected Urg.". That is imo easier than to worry about the positions of your clonks. :)

Nope. Try Cortex Command ( http://www.datarealms.com/ ), it is really better than current system, try it yourself in shareware version. btw. it is really great game. Try console command ActivityMan:GetActivity().ActivityState=Activity.EDITING, normally it should enable you to acces build mode again, but instead it resets timer.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-06-23 15:38

>Nope. Try Cortex Command

Okay, when you say it's proven to be a good concept, we should give it a chance. My worries are that you may be quicker in a fight (when you clearly now where your clonks are) but slower on huge maps (or even when you don't have your Clonks on one screen), where you just do not know where your Clonks exactly are. But that does not have to be a bad thing, though

>Yeah, scrolling mouse wheel would scroll inventory, but clicking it would open the select menu, as for using items the left mouse button would fit better than middle.

Mh, I doubt that all mice have a button as the wheel, but I may be outdated there
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2009-06-23 16:35
I never could remember where my clonks are in the crew list, but I almost always know where they are on the map because I made them move there. You watch the clonk and landscape for much longer than you cycle through the crew list.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-23 16:51
Make this an option, and let players decide how they want to cycle clonks.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-06-23 17:08

>Make this an option, and let players decide how they want to cycle clonks.

Why would we need the old system anymore, when your system works better? I am not a fan of making an option out of everything :)
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Controls revised
1 2 3 Previous Next