Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Sketch] Hot air balloon
- - By Newton [es] Date 2009-04-14 22:10 Edited 2009-04-18 18:23
This is a sketch for the hot air balloon I did today. It's still pretty neutral and strives to add some details. Additionally, I changed the shape from a very rectangular one to a more realistic one - with a smaller basket and a bigger balloon. I drew it with two extras it could have.

1. An anchor: It could be thrown to the ground to be able to use the balloon as lift while it is windy too-

2. A ladder: Lets see, perhaps the Clonk learns to climb ladders like the Hazard can. But probably, there would be no big use of this other than it might look spectacular

I think it would be a good idea to generally be able to control the weapon that has been pulled into the basket more easily. Preferably directly from the balloon. But I couldn't come up with a comfortable way to do this.

(c) 2009 Tobias Zwick
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-14 22:32
Nice one. If we start with modeling, the Balloon is my task >:)
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2009-04-14 22:44
Too late :<
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-15 08:59
Your balloon sucks (and have too much polygons, sure)
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-04-15 01:47
Actually, what do we need to render a model for RTR? Do you have any experience in that? What has to be clarified till, what more informations do you need to start to model.
The license, perhaps... what else?
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-15 09:05
Stupid question: Whats RTR? What you mean with license to start model? Some exp. I collect btw. with the Irrlicht 3D Engine. Modelling some Objects for that, winding up the meshes and make textures for that (and baking textures of course), in DirectX Format. But nothing can be unlearned...
Parent - By knight_k [de] Date 2009-04-15 10:45

> Stupid question: Whats RTR?

I make a wild guess and say it's "Real Time Rendering"
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-04-15 12:43
The models for OpenClonk should all be licensed under the same (creative commons?) license. Discussion of what license would be the best one (and with what the artists would not have a problem to agree) is going on in the Development forum.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-15 13:12

>Discussion of what license would be the best one (and with what the artists would not have a problem to agree) is going on in the Development forum.

Why not here?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2009-04-15 13:23
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-15 13:23
My karma and the political world situation x(
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2009-04-14 22:41
Err, the balloon is one of the old objects I would like to stash away ;) It's not very useful 'cause of the wind dependency and often displaced (already in the scenario design itself) by the blimp.
Parent - - By timi [de] Date 2009-04-14 22:43 Edited 2009-04-14 22:49
Hm, I quite like the balloon. Make the wind change slower, the blimp more expensive and the spell "change wind direction" more accessible and I think the balloon has a future. But I'm open to anything, it only has to look good and make fun.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2009-04-14 22:50
So then the spell will be more accessible to the enemy, too. Then it's just a case of who-can-cast-faster/more.
In settlement rounds it might provide the game with a little extra challenge but I fear it's more annoying than funny.
Parent - By timi [de] Date 2009-04-14 22:51
Yeah, maybe. But that's a detail, isn't it ;) If someone wants to make the graphics, then why not use the balloon for nothing but diversification and variety.
Parent - By Newton [es] Date 2009-04-15 01:44
The balloon like it is now is pretty useless compared to the blimp, yes. It's too dependent on the wind. If it can function as some kind of sky lift (that does not fly away when it is windy) to accommodate people with bows or cannons it would be of more use. And e.g. hold the height. Not just either up or down (Up = Up, Down = Down, nothing = float) and perhaps even a little bit controllable to the left and right even though very slow.
To not make it fly away when it is windy one could make use of the anchor.
Parent - By Sven2 [us] Date 2009-04-15 02:09
Actually, no. It provides a cheap air lift to the enemy almost 50% of the time. The balloon is used a lot in scenarios like CofuT. It also serves as a story element in many adventure scenarios.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2009-04-15 09:46
I like the Idea behind the anchor. Guenthers ropes always fascinated me, though they did not really behave realistic.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2009-04-15 15:04
Ignoring the fact that reality has one dimension more, do you have any suggestions to improve them?
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2009-04-15 18:42
Hm. Did you ever play crazy machines? (I know, the object count is much less, so the objects may have a higher simulation cost.)
What disturbs me about the ropes, is that the are not really integrated. You can transport a lorry in the blimp, but you can't attach it, that will draw the blimp down. Or, the ropes build slight arches, sometimes. They never look like a catenoid. Additionally, they don't seem to be strechable when you don't block the way, but when you hide behind a wall, (the rope won't lift the clonk, since it is magically attached, with his feet, see SetGravity(-n)), and then jump, you will be flinged quite some way. Oh, and then, there were this strange ropejumps, with a rope, and a stone.)
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Sketch] Hot air balloon