Not logged inOpenClonk Forum - Archive
Up Topic Community / Off Topic / Werewolf: The Game Thread!
1 2 3 Previous Next  
- - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-01 15:08 Edited 2013-03-08 19:41
The small hamlet of Lonk-Dot-Dee was a peaceful place. Food was plentiful, the weather was fair, and the days passed by bring prosperity and leaving pleasant memories. The residents went about their daily duties; chopping wood, gathering food, occasionally trading with passing merchants,  all the time blissfully unaware of the troubles of the wider world.

This was not to last.

It was a warm, short Summer night, lit by a full moon. Normally, there would be people taking walks and watching the dragonflies flitter over the lake, as it bathed them in the glow of the setting Sun. But instead, everyone hurried into their homes, and locked the doors. None of them could explain exactly why, but they all made reference to an ominous feeling in the air.

When the morning came, everyone tried to go on as if nothing had happened. But they couldn't hide their unease. At around midday, the inn-keeper began to question people as to the whereabouts of the village-idiot, Fluff. Well-known for talking about things completely irrelevant to the topic at hand, and widely regarded as incapable of looking after himself, the village never-the-less held a soft-spot for him, and he was encouraged to have his morning meals at the inn. Incidentally, this also prevented him from trying to cook his own food, something the village unanimously agreed should never be allowed to happen again.

But he hadn't arrived. In fact, no-one had seen him all day. When the villagers checked his house, they found the door unlocked, but there was no sign of any struggle. Some of the more genre-savvy had realised what they were going to find.

The search seemed more and more hopeless, even as more and more of the village joined in, until finally they made a gruesome discovery under a bridge on the village outskirts. The mud shoved into the corpse's mouth would have stifled any attempt at a scream, but the expression on his face and the remains of his body said enough: This had been a painful death.

But there was something even worse under the bridge than Fluff's remains: Tracks. Three sets of paws leading away from the body. And a distance away, all three trails turned into footprints, which disappeared into the undergrowth.

There could be no doubt, the murderers were Werewolves. Furthermore, the footprints seemed to lead back into the village. The villagers looked at each other, each thinking of the last time they had seen their neighbour, of the last conversation they had had. Whispered secrets and overheard insults, friendships and broken promises all flashed through minds that were suddenly so much less trusting.

Soon enough, the villagers had erected a set of gallows in the town-square. The hang-man's noose loomed over them, waiting for them to decide who would test its strength...

(Second note: The jobs listed below were randomly generated, and have no relation to werewolf-status)
Players:
AlteredARMOR - The Shepherd - Killed by wolves on the first night. The sheep go untended.
Andriel - A Werewolf Merchant! - Hung on the fourth day. Most of the more exotic curiosities in Andriel's store were overlooked by the villagers. Perhaps this was a mistake.
Caesar - The Farmer - Killed by wolves on the third night. The plants wilt in the fields.
Ker - The Blacksmith
Luchs - The Herbalist
PeterW - The Carpenter
Pyrit - A Werewolf Fisherman! - Hung on the third day. Blood has always stained the floor of the fishery, but now people wonder if the smell of fish may be covering something far worse...
Sven2 - The Inn-Keeper - Killed by wolves on the second night. The inn is cold and unwelcoming now.
Zapper - A Werewolf Priest! - Hung on the second day. The church's doors are barred. Whatever ghastly rites were conducted within shall be suffered no longer.

Please reply only to this post! Please do not reply to other players' posts! Otherwise, working out who posted what when is going to be a headache.

This is the start of Day 1. For the rest of the day, you may each vote to hang another player. At the end of the day, the player with the most votes is hung, and his were-wolf status will be revealed.
To cast your vote, state the name of the player you wish to hang in bold.
Example: "Fluff is obviously a zombie-werewolf! Hang him! Just to be sure!"
During the night, the wolves will choose a player to eat.

The villagers win if all the wolves are hung.
The wolves win if there are an equal number of villagers and wolves.

One of the villagers is a Seer. Each night, he may secretly investigate someone, and discover their true identity.
One of the villagers is a Baner. Each night, he may secretly protect someone; if the werewolves attack that player, the attack will fail.

Again:
Please reply only to this post! Please do not reply to other players' posts! Otherwise, working out who posted what when is going to be a headache.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-01 15:15
Fluff ded :(

MAY THY SOUL FIND PEACE *rings the bells*
Parent - By Caesar Date 2013-03-01 15:23
The shepherd is a werewolf? Oh the irony...

gm-question: Till when will day 1 last?
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-01 15:27
I haven't fully decided on the time-scale yet, it depends on when everyone is active. Probably some time tomorrow. Mid-day on Saturday, perhaps? (GMT.)
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-01 15:28
He is? Hang him!
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-01 15:32
(Forgot to mention, please type the name of the person you want to hang in bold to vote for them. I'll only count bold-names as votes.)
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-03-01 16:40 Edited 2013-03-01 16:42
Zapper, if he confesses, you could absolve him of his sins before getting hung. It's not his fault!
[edit] grammar: I obviously didn't mean before our beloved Priest getting hung, but before hanging the Shepherd
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-01 18:07
Is it possible to change your vote before the day is over?
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-01 23:13
Absolutely. I will count only the latest vote you make.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-02 00:38
New info! - I'm friends with PeterW and we're both not werewolves (confirmed by Fluff's remains!).

It's true.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-03-02 00:52
Yep, Sven is totally my friend, I swear he's no werewolf. I have a feeling this might become a short game for us now... :(
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-02 02:36
BURRRRN the heretics!
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-02 10:43
It's possible that 12:00 today was a bit optimistic. Unless everyone is happy for the day to end without a lynching?
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-03-02 10:51 Edited 2013-03-02 10:53
We still have 2 hours, right? I for one don't see a reason to give the wolves prior notice, so I'll be posting my vote on 11:59 :P

Actually - until we have enough information the innocents have good reason to not vote, given that random voting is more likely to hit an innocent person than a wolf. If all villagers don't vote, wolves can't do it either, because it would give them away. Hm.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-02 11:15
Okay, in case this wasn't clear. There are now two options:
a) PeterW and I lie. We are both werewolves and try to decoy you
b) We tell the truth. We are both villagers and we did get that secret info somehow before we entered this world.

It is pretty much impossible that one of us would be werewolf and the other is not. Because then one villager would willingly lie and protect a wolf. Therefore, if one of us ever dies, the identity of the other should be clear.

For the first killing, if everyone just votes out of the gut, votes will be very spread out and we will almost certainly kill a villager since the wolves can easily turn the vote to another guy. Since we do not have any other information, I suggest we consult an external random number source, declare the victim by that source and have everyone vote for it. That way, we will make sure to overrule any werewolves.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-02 11:24
Yeah, would be cool if the day didn't end before at least some of the other villagers are back from work on the farm and voice some opinions or something ;o
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-02 11:45

>It is pretty much impossible that one of us would be werewolf and the other is not. Because then one villager would willingly lie and protect a wolf. Therefore, if one of us ever dies, the identity of the other should be clear.

Unless the one werewolf tricked the villager into believing that the werewolf is a villager himself! A quite sophisticated game you are playing! Do you really believe Peter???
*rings the bells*
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-02 11:56
If it were just for his suggestion to vote at 11:59,  I'd certainly call him a wolf. Because that's obviously a very pro-wolf-strategy. But my information comes from a very reliable source. In fact, I'd go as far and say it's as reliable as the knowledge that I am an innocent villager myself.

Anyway, why are you trying to spread doubt among us? If we were wolves, we'd know it and you could never cause distrust among us. If we are villagers, however, that's a very advantageous strategy for a wolf.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-02 12:07
Okay, I found support for my idea of using a random, external source here:  arXiv:1009.1031.

The reason combined random voting is the optimal strategy is explained on page 3. This excludes the seer, etc., but we haven't had any seeings yet so that can be ignored.
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-03-02 12:40
I don't see how we can use an external source that all of us will trust.
Except to ask Fluff to roll a 9 sided die ;)
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-02 12:52
But wouldn't that be good for the wolves if there are more villagers than wolves? o.O
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-02 13:01 Edited 2013-03-02 13:05
The villagers shakily went through the day, feebly trading accusations while also attempting to firmly establish their own human-credentials.

But as night fell, no-one could bring themselves to sentence one of their friends to the gallows. They each made their way home, each hoping that they would see another sun-rise.

Day 1 is over, night has fallen.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-03-02 15:18
Well, the thing is that Sven and me seem to have information about each other. Exactly what that information is is for everybody else to decide.

And voting at the last minute isn't a pro-wolf strategy - it's equally beneficial to both sides to deny information about your own voting as long as possible.
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-03-03 10:52
*snores loudly*
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-03 12:46 Edited 2013-03-03 22:36
The sun rises over the village, and the villagers gather at the inn. A quick head-count reveals that someone is missing. The sheep are scattered over the hillside, clearly panicked. The door to AlteredARMOR's cottage is slowly opened, and then quickly shut. The expression on the face of the poor soul who saw inside tells the others everything.
AlteredARMOR has been killed by the werewolves!
Day 2 has begun.
The current votes are as follows: (Key = Player - Number of votes - players who voted for them.)
Zapper has 3 vote - Sven2, Luchs, PeterW
Sven2 has 2 votes - Zapper, Pyrit
PeterW has 1 vote - Caesar
Pyrit has 1 vote - Ker
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-03 13:00
Okay. Fortunately, the wolves seem to go alphabetically (at least that way they make sure they don't forget anyone!).

Anyway, not hanging anyone is obviously the worst possible strategy for villagers. So, just to make sure we don't go idle anymore, I cast preliminary vote on Zapper based on his attempt to stop our strategy of voting by a random, external source even though it was proven to be the optimal strategy in arXiv:1009.1031. He also didn't suggest a better strategy, hinting that he's quite happy with us staying idle.

I will change that vote once we have a trusted, external source of random values. I tried to sign up for daily, atmospheric data by NASA but their registration form seems to be broken. Any other ideas?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-03 13:07
What. I am obviously against that.

I still don't trust Sven2 either for spreading all the negativity and rumors and for trying to hang me :(
Especially since I was by far not the only one casting a vote and Sven takes that as a reason to vote against me - there must be some deeper (and sinister) plan behind that.
If I was a werewolve, I'd have eaten you >:( with extra ketchup!
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-03 13:09
PS: *rings the bells for the poor shepherd's soul*
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2013-03-03 13:40
I vote for PeterW, no special reason.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2013-03-03 15:33
Sven2 ist trying too hard. I vote to hang Sven2. (Although I always though he's a robot instead of a werewolf.)
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-03-03 16:22
[url=random.org]random.org[/url] offers nice random numbers, but we'd still need someone who is not biased to create a random number, since there is no way to create a random number in a group of people who do not trust each other (the last person adding their part to the random number can change the result to whatever they wish)
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2013-03-03 17:55
I vote for Zapper. Sven seems to be too smart to be a werewolf and I like his reasoning.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-03 17:56
Well, "trying hard" is obviously not a wolf strategy. If I were a wolf, I'd just fare the same as last night: Have no vote come up and eat one villager every night, while giving away zero information about the wolves identities.

We need to make a (more or less random) accusation. It's the only way to force the wolves to vote to protect their allies.

When does the day end by the way?
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-03-03 18:41
I find it more fitting to fry Pyrit in a huge bonfire instead of hanging him.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-03 18:47
Great, now we are all hanging each other? <.<

Even if I don't like to admit it, but Sven is right when he says that we will have to decide on one if we want to get anyone hanged...
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-03 18:53
Zapper, I hope that's just a decoy to set the stage for a wolf-friend to change his vote to me now. And not a sign that you aren't a wolf after all...
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2013-03-03 18:57
My spirit will haunt you all for the rest of your miserable lives >:-[
-- The Sheppard ---
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-03 19:07
I ain't havin' no wolf friends :((
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-03-03 20:17 Edited 2013-03-03 20:23
Hm, the wolves have probably figured that me or Sven2 would be the target of the baner, as for all intents and purposes we are the most likely candidates to be innocent right now. Or they wanted to not prove our innocence by killing one of us.

And Zapper is really trying to get me and Sven to vote to hang him, isn't he? So far he has come up with no solid reason why what Sven and me are doing would be a good wolf strategy. I vote to hang him.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-03 20:23

>So far he has come up with no solid reason why what Sven and me are doing would be a good wolf strategy

Well, since all you are doing is wanting to hang me, the "wolf strategy" would be not hanging each other and hanging a non-werewolf? :/
Not like you pulled through with your random selection - you are just saying how good a strategy it would be....
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-03 22:39
This will either have to be a short day or a long day, as I have work tomorrow. I'm thinking a long day would be best, so night will fall at about 19:00ish tomorrow (GMT).
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-04 20:05 Edited 2013-03-04 20:13
In the wake of AlteredARMOR's death, the subdued atmosphere of the previous night was replaced with accusations being flung in every direction, but in the evening light, a "winner" had emerged from the debate.  Sven2, PeterW and Luchs grabbed Zapper, and dragged him to the gallows. The noose was slipped over his neck, and the lever was pulled. His struggles ceased instantly, and an eery calm came over the square. Silently, the crowd began to walk away.
Then someone screamed.
Everyone looked back. Zapper's corpse was twitching. Shaking. Shuddering. Spasming. His hair grew, his hands curled, his teeth tore through his mouth as his lips drew back in a snarl. His eyes glowed red as his claws reached towards the rope around his mane...
And then he fell still.
After a short time, the villagers took the body down, cut off the head, threw the corpse into his cottage, and set it all on fire.
Zapper was hung.
He was a werewolf!

There were cheers, as the crowd celebrated their successful lynching. But as the sun set, they remembered that they weren't finished yet. The hurried back to their homes, and barred the doors.

The second night has begun.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-04 20:07
x.X
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-03-04 20:19
.oO(zzzZZZzzz)
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2013-03-04 20:37
So Sven2 and PeterW are the 2 remaining wolfes. They killed their own guy so that it appears like they aren't wolfes themselves! I'll vote to hang one of the two, to see if I'm right. Really, I wouldn't be too surprised if they came up with a strategy like this.
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-04 20:42
Let's try and keep discussion at night to a minimum. It feels a bit off.
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-03-04 20:51
*wakes up due to Pyrit shouting about* suddenly it's silent again. Hopefully he was just talking in his sleep. If I close my eyes maybe the wolves won't see me *shudders and pulls the blanket over his head*
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2013-03-04 21:29
21:28:15 -!- Zapper was kicked from #openclonk-dev by Isilkor [Was hung, so he's dead, so this is an impostor]
21:28:25 <!Isilkor> NO DEAD PEOPLE
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-05 14:17
The villagers make their way into the centre of the village. There is no need to count themselves this time. The blood splattered over the ground and walls is enough. Eventually, they gather enough fragments of clothing to identify Sven2's remains.
Sven2 was killed by the werewolves!
Day 3 has begun.
Parent - By Caesar Date 2013-03-05 14:26
So it looks like there are more roles than just Baner and Seer. Sven and Peter begun vouching for each other before the first night ended, which means they didn't know about each other because one is a seer. Maaan.
Up Topic Community / Off Topic / Werewolf: The Game Thread!
1 2 3 Previous Next