Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / I'm confused...
- - By Nachtfalter Date 2013-10-02 18:40
So, now I'm sitting here, have my day off and there's nothing to do for me here, because there's a lack of clarity about almost every(?) basic concept.
I thought there's a need for an art-team? Actually I see no need :|
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2013-10-02 20:23
I think the tree concepts were all pretty awesome. Why not start with some new, good looking trees? With animations so that they sway with the wind and shake when they are chopped. At first maybe some temperate trees, then some more specific biome trees.
And for the furnace there's also not very much to discuss about. Ore comes in, metal comes out. So what's holding you back from remodel/retexture some of  the existing models, that aren't connected to the energy stuff? :)
And texture style was pretty clear, too? Handpainted, right? You could make some patterns for future use in all the buildings.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2013-10-02 21:19
Which concepts do you mean? I only see a dispute going on about the flag / ownership defining part (that was raised by the arts team because of difficulties with the graphical representation of such).
Pyrit already stated out valid points. Apart from those, you can also start with concepts on buildings (the 'toolkit' for possible designs) or the buildings. I don't see how the discussion interferes with any of the buildings except for the flag.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter Date 2013-10-03 15:51
I also remember the how to get materials thread. Maybe I'm confused or think the oc-design is a big mess because I don't followed all the concepts for a long time. Also, before I start something I need some sort of safety-check if OC really need this model know.

For example: There actually is a wood-factory in the game. Fungiform has sketched a new one (and afaik also modelled it already). I can try to make a nice texture for the model, bu there's no person to ask directly how, why and when all the things get started :|
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2013-10-03 16:57 Edited 2013-10-03 17:01
Well, the OC-design is a big mess and the reason is simple: Every piece of graphic was designed individually without a real design guideline. My impression of the art team idea was that the goal to achieve was exactly to compose such a guideline and then derive the already existing buildings from that guideline and break it down into a fitting style. Fitting i.e. having a harmonic looking settlement when there are three or so buildings next to each other. This worked well in CR because the buildings shared a certain amount of elements:

I'd like to see the same amount of unity in OC as well. Yeah and my impression was that this was what the art team was all about :)
Fungiform did some kind of this style research in these two threads: clonk style guide and proportions. These could be finished, also there's a texture style guide missing.

I am not sure whether the sawmill from that example really was a proposal as in "this is how the sawmill should look like" or just a quick sketch for showing the production line there. But that's something Fungiform should answer. At least it doesn't look like his other "real" construction drafts: Wind Generator / Energy Storage, Foundry and Elevator.
It does look more like a shaggy hut in the woods which wouldn't be fitting next to the very technical beam structure of the other sketches. I agree with you that it doesn't make sense to again design every building without looking at the others; the outcome would be the same.

> bu there's no person to ask directly how, why and when all the things get started

My understanding was that Fungiform and you are now the two lead artists in the art team and thus are exactly the two persons who decide when, why and how to start doing graphics.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2013-10-03 17:10

>My understanding was that Fungiform and you are now the two lead artists in the art team and thus are exactly the two persons who decide when, why and how to start doing graphics.

And nobody will complain if you change any graphics, because you are the art team and you have the right to change them to look better than the current ones. And I'm sure they will look great and you'll do an awesome job, looking at your older projects and Fungi's concepts. :)
Parent - By Nachtfalter Date 2013-10-03 17:12
Thanks alot for the answer. Maybe I'm a little too shy to make some decissions for a project, which I'm actually not a part of (not yet!).
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-10-03 17:29
Well, it was a bit easier for CR because almost everything was rendered by matthes. In a project with more participants, a bit more variety in style is going to be inevitable.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2013-10-03 17:35
Yes, different artists have different styles. But I don't think it's impossible to carve out a guideline on the different parts of a model and give other people a solid base to start from. So far, there isn't something like that only vague instructions like "something steampunky".
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2013-10-03 17:39
The unity didn't help distinguishing the buildings in the beginning, though. Just a little warning.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / I'm confused...