Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / To do - 24.05.11
- - By Newton [de] Date 2011-05-24 15:17 Edited 2011-05-25 13:03
There are many things that must be done and don't need to be discussed and also lots of things that already have been discussed enough and can be implemented now. I took the time to compile this little list of small and simple tasks that can be taken up by anyone who has the time and feels like realizing it.

Please answer to this topic if you plan to create graphics, sounds and/or write the script for some objects - not that we have two or three versions of the same objects at the end :-)
Everything that is written in italics is optional; I just think this could be cool. The tasks are split up into four categories: Graphics, Animation, Sound and Script

Items - Tools, Weapons, Resources

All Resources:
  • Graphics: The prerendered graphics seem to be kinda blurred - rerender them non-blurred please. (Compare the first few rock renderings and the last few.)

BlackPowder:
  • Obsolete through gunpowder barrel. Remove, Ringwaul?

Piece of wood:
  • Graphics: try out this - a very long log (longer than a spear)  that is carried  over the shoulder, like a proper lumberjack :-D

Balloon:
  • Sound: inflate and deflate
  • Graphics: for the (deflated) balloon. One possibility would be to just have the normal (inflated) balloon as a picture graphic. The other possibility would be to have the ballon actually floating above the clonk's head like a children's ballon. On inflation, that same ballon gets bigger/smaller.

Axe:
  • Script: Implement chopping (in the axe, not in the clonk)
  • Graphics: for the axe
  • Animation: create a chopping animation for the clonk
  • Sound: Chopping

Barrel:
  • Script/Graphics: Change perspective of the picture of the barrel to show the contents. Realize graphic of filled barrel with the help of an Overlay-Texture. Otherwise good work to have just one object for the differently filled barrels!

Metal Barrel:
  • Graphics: somethign not awful. Ringwaul

CableReel:
  • Graphics: I suggest copper wire-on-a-piece-of-wood. Before going for a custom graphic however, it should be considered if we really want separate objects for pipes, wires and other things.

JarOfWinds:

Boompack:
  • Sounds: rocket fly sound?

Hammer:
  • Script: Build/rebuild per one-click (not click-hold)
  • Script: Implement C4Script based construction sites (hammer creates construction sites)
  • Graphics/Animation:Graphic(s) and animation for construction sites. Suggestion: a scaffold?
  • Animation: Build animation(s) for the clonk. Ringwaul

Pipe:
  • Graphics: probably like a tube
  • Localization: German translation

Club
  • Sound: *Dash*

Bomb
  • Graphics: A classical black iron bomb with a fuse. The implementation part should be trivial that is why I don't mention it here. Ringwaul

Bomb launcher
  • Graphics:Something steampunky Ringwaul
  • Script: Implementation - pretty much like the grenade launcher from Hazard

Fire arrows
  • Script: Implement fire arrows for the bow. Graphics are in the forum.

Flare/Rocket
A one-time used explosive that can be shot in a direction to get rid of that gold vein at the cavern top or that enemy on that very small sky island. Like a smaller version of the boompack only that the clonk doesn't try to ride on it.
  • Graphics: Something like a small boompack or other firework-item
  • Script/Effects: The explosive can probably inherit much of the code of the boompack (or the other way round!). An idea for a nice rocket-y effect is to have it look like a flare.

Buildings

Regarding the workshops, something already has been done script-wise. I have no overview over what happened so far. Can you give an update about this and what do you need to be done there, Maikel?.

At least the following buildings need to be rendered (and animated). If there is a name behind it it means it is currently in the making.
  • Armory: A place where to build weapons like the sword, shield, spears, the musket, cannons and the gatling gun.
  • Chemical lab: A place to create advanced explosives.
  • Sawmill: Matthi
  • Accumulator: Energy storage. Mimmo
  • Pumpjack: to pump fluids around the landscape. Matthi
  • Ropeway. Mimmo (alt)
  • Bridge (segment): Bridge segments in OC are built with the hammer, not produced in some workshop so it could also have a more interesting shape.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-05-24 19:55
Thanks for making a new To-do; it really helps us (me?) figure out the current status of OC. :)

>BlackPowder

The only reason I kept the original Blackpowder object was that I was under the assumption a construction building could 'take' one out of the barrel. However, I can change this pretty easily.

>Balloon:>Graphics:

I was thinking of a packed and folded balloon for the on-terrain display, with an inflated balloon for the inventory picture. Since the clonk now has a backpack it would be OK if it just disappeared into it. Though I don't have much inspiration for making the graphics look that great atm. x|

>Graphics: for the axe

In the repos under //models/Items/axe.

>Animation: create a chopping animation for the clonk

In the current clonk skeleton ("Chop.R" and "Chop.L").

>Barrel: Change perspective of the picture of the barrel to show the contents. Realize graphic of filled barrel with the help of an Overlay-Texture.

Sure, I'll do that.

>Bomb

I have actually drawn out a concept for this, and your grenade launcher suggestion. I will try to get it scanned at my school so you can have a look before I start modelling the launcher.

>Hammer:
>Animation: Build animation(s) for the clonk

I could do this, but I might need some direction unless we just want 'hammering random parts of the building'. Then again, that's certainly how clonk buildings look. :D
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-05-25 13:02

> I could do this, but I might need some direction unless we just want 'hammering random parts of the building'. Then again, that's certainly how clonk buildings look. :D

There is not much else you can do with a hammer. We need the "hammering" anyway, later if people have special ideas to make the building animation more interesting, more animations can be added.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-05-25 13:05
I updated the todo. I crossed out the nice work done by Ringwaul so far and added the most popular suggestions of mine for new explosives (bomb, bomb launcher, flare).
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-05-25 19:43
By the way, another neat idea is the Rope Bridge. However, I think Randrian was the only one familiar with the rope library (I'm a bit too busy with college atm to try familiarizing myself with it).
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2011-05-26 13:13
Ah well, I already thought about a ropebrige and wanted to implement one sometime... But it shouldn't be that hard to do it. Perhaps I'll find some time to do it.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-05-26 14:15
I think that could look (and feel) absolutely amazing! (As long as the clonk is not flung into the cave ceiling by the jumpy physics while walking on it ;-P) And instead of just breaking if damaged at certain spots, first some of the wooden walk is falling down like in the old "static" rope bridge.

Another rope-based thingy just comes to my mind. A rope! Which is a mixture of a grapple-bow-for-everyone and the rope-bridge: You can fix one end to the ceiling/wall/floor at one end and the other end has a little barbed hook affixed to it. If it hits the landscape, it gets affixed to it. Clonks can now hangle from one end to the other on that rope. The difference to the grapple-bow is that it stays there and can be used by everyone (like the rope-ladder) until it is taken away and has a longer length. The difference to the rope-bridge is that you don't need to reach the other side to fix the other end of the bridge on the ground first. So you can e.g. shoot the other end with a cannon or catapult to reach the other side.
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2011-06-12 12:39
So, I found time and motivation for the implementation of the ropebridge. You can test it in the test scenario Tests.ocf/Lines.ocs .
I hope you like it ;-)

Remaining questions are, how to make the front line in the foreground. I tried using Objects with Category C4D_Foreground, but this seems to not work anymore (like in CR).
The other question is how the player should be able to build it. Perhaps construct two posts as "building" and then connect them with a cable which turns then into a bridge.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-06-13 00:07
:-o

C4D_Foreground has been changed by Sven to be used only for GUI (perhaps it should be renamed then). However, there was some theoretical talk about defineable z-layer-positions of objects but I don't know where that ended and if the proposed solution by Günther would be any help regarding a real issue like this.

Sounds good@how to build
Other solution would be to have a bridge pack which can be placed in a similar way as the... dynamite pack. Would that make it too easy?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-06-13 09:05

>However, there was some theoretical talk about defineable z-layer-positions of objects but I don't know where that ended and if the proposed solution by Günther would be any help regarding a real issue like this.

That's actually (half-way) implemented and works ;)

Randrian, try this.Plane = 1555;
For the definition of the planes you would have to look in the sourcecode - but I think 1500 was foreground. Not sure, though
Parent - By Randrian [de] Date 2011-06-13 10:02
Ah cool. I didn't know that it is already implemented.
Now the front line for the bridge is in front of the clonk.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-06-13 12:31
Half-way?

Well, what Randrian wants is not to put it in front of *all* objects, only in front of vehicles, objects and livings I guess (everything that should pass the bridge). Where is it defined in the engine? Can you give a link?
Parent - By Maikel Date 2011-06-13 12:44
Right here, I think 600 is okay.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-06-13 13:33 Edited 2011-06-13 13:38

>Half-way?

As in: They are completely working, but Guenther's concept was a bit deeper than just those planes
Edit: I hope he will not finish it, though :)
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2011-06-13 20:14
I still hope that somebody will rescue the explosions and the ton of other script stuff from category hell, but in the engine every category has at most one purpose now, afaik.

I plan to split parallax objects into GUI objects and ordinary parallax objects later, and reduce the two z-positions to one at that point.
Parent - By Gurkenglas [de] Date 2011-06-17 17:03
We should maybe find a way to make parts of Objects be at different z-positions... or we would have to make a helper object for the airship somewhen that positions the front side of the basket in front of the player. (Or we turn the basket into a horizontal platform so we have a reasonable way to show the items laying on top of the gondola)
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2011-06-13 20:05
See http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?pid=11560#pid11560 and the two posts below. I've changed the default planes since then, but they're still just placeholders. Once they're not, I'll put them into the documentation. Plane is already described there. But I probably should have announced this stuff in a topic or something.
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / To do - 24.05.11