Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / Personal Introductions
1 2 3 Previous Next
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2011-02-22 14:30
ftp://www.ccan.de/cc/ccan.de/incoming/
Parent - By Nachtschatten Date 2011-02-22 16:12
I see that we have very similar ideas on how to improve settlement gameplay. Just recently, Nachtfalter and I discussed some thoughts about that and wrote everything down in a blog article on clonkspot, which you might find interesting. (Note that it's currently only available in German, so some people from this forum will have to wait until we found the time to translate it.) The bottom line of the article is: Mining had almost no focus in the Clonk series so far. While it existed, it was just a minor distraction/annoyance from the other things you did. We think it's worth considering how to make mining an interesting and challenging task on its own.

> ceilings of lose materials like earth could come down and needed to be supported with beams. and we introduced groundwater: tunnels below the water level sources of dripping groundwater were created slowly filling all deep tunnels with water

I especially like these two "environmental hazards". Stuff like that could make mining more interesting and still feel natural.
- - By EroSennin Date 2011-02-21 15:52
Hello everybody!
I am Johannes and I live in Germany too. I was born in 1984.
I study Master of Science in Computer Science.

My basic programming languages are Java and C. So C++ is new to me, but I have some knowledge of it and I am going to learn it even more.

I play Clonk Endeavour with a friend.

I always wanted to program something in Clonk, and now ...
here I am. :-)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-02-21 21:12
Interesting, you know C and JAva but no C++. Thats a funny combination since C++ is a OOP-enabling superset of C (and Java is pretty much based on OOP).

The engine code is (IMO) pretty much what I call "C+": a lot of stuff in there is very old (the engine is huge after all) and in most places, "clean" OOP patterns that you might know from Java have not really been followed. The STL for example (standard C++ library which enables something like ArrayLists, LinkedLists, Queues, Maps, Sets etc.) is only used in some places of the engine, in most, (still) self-made implementations of vectors/lists are used. So perhaps you might even find your way through the engine quite quick (in contrast to me ;-) ).
Parent - - By Anonymous [de] Date 2011-02-21 21:42
I've never understood why we never had any course teaching C++.
I really need to learn it, especially for game programming.

So the engine is "C+". Sounds funny! :-)
Parent - By Nachtschatten Date 2011-02-22 16:20

> I really need to learn it, especially for game programming.

That game programming is done in C++ isn't generally true. Especially hobbyists have a wide range of programming languages to choose from; see Minecraft, that's done in Java. So you're not forced to face two challenges (first steps in game programming, and learning C++) at the same time, if you don't want to.
Parent - By EroSennin Date 2011-02-21 21:43
Ooops ... not logged in. :-D
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-02-22 10:56

> The STL for example

OOP != usage of some library. You can both write code that's not object-oriented using STL as well as object-oriented code that just happens to not use object-oriented interfaces for its data types.
- - By Duncan [de] Date 2011-06-13 02:12
Hi, I am a New Zealander but currently living in Germany. I played clonk a while back and loved the idea but found it too buggy. I came back to it recently and was overjoyed to find openclonk. Then I was immediately dissapointed that it wasn't finished as I love the economy side of things and bulding challenges.

I am a game developer, currently freelancing (I will post a link to my first real game when it is beta released some time in the next couple of weeks) and given how great this project is looking I could potentially spare some time. I am new here and posting this without actually checking over it for myself but if someone can point me to something that needs to be done to get that side of the game off the ground I may be able to help. My c++ skills are a bit shaky unfortunately and although it would be good to have something to practise on I know how annoying inexperienced coders' work can be to clean up. I could handle something simple and modular and don't mind doing gruntwork like item/building configurations if the framework is already underway. I also have a couple of artists I work with and I could suggest it to them if that is needed. I guess I wanted to discuss the possibility of helping without poring through the details for hours, but if I am told to stfu and rtfm I will understand.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-06-13 14:28
Freelancing in game developing in Germany? Respect, that sounds interesting! How come that you came to Germany?
Some help in engine work is definitely appreciated :-), though, I currently can't say anything about (modular) engine requirements for the economy side of the game cause I pretty much kept out of the talking/development in the last months. Clonkonaut or Peter perhaps?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-06-13 14:40

>I currently can't say anything about (modular) engine requirements for the economy side of the game

Something that pops into my mind there are the menus (especially for the economy side).
But depending on what you, Duncan, like (graphic programming, GUI programming,..) I am sure that there is always enough interesting stuff to be done :)
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-06-13 16:30
Here's my ideas how one could make it nice and general. That would indeed be a pretty modular task: Trickiest part would probably be the script integration, especially if you want magic proplists (= you can set actual class members directly from script). Apart from that, you'd just need to get the Draw call and mouse interaction from somewhere, the rest would be pretty self-contained layouting code.
Parent - - By Anonymous [de] Date 2011-06-13 22:33
Ok the stuff in that link is something I could probably do, do we have sample art for menu borders and such?
Also, has anyone done anything on this in the way of design (functional not graphical) I am happy to work something out for that but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone already has a plan.

It does seem a bit of a deep end to be diving into, especially as I am not terribly familiar with either of the two languages or how they interface. I would be a much better asset if I could collaborate with someone who knows the ropes a bit better.

Thanks for the link to that page I will have a read through and see what else there is on the list that might interest me. Is there a page that lists who is working on what anywhere? If not we should at least start a thread. I downloaded the main repository but I imagine people have a lot of uncommited changes, if I am going to help or collaborate it might be good to see what the person I am helping is doing.
Parent - By Duncan [de] Date 2011-06-13 22:41
Oh I wasn't logged in. Well that was me, also I just noticed that the page has links to usernames and resources so scratch both those questions.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-06-13 23:02

>Is there a page that lists who is working on what anywhere?

Mh, there isn't actually. Until now people just picked a smaller project and pulled it off - more or less :)
But we didn't have the problem yet that two people started to work on the same thing independently as far as I know - so until now there was no need for that
Parent - - By Duncan [de] Date 2011-06-13 23:09
I cant connect to either of the irc servers, any suggestions?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-06-14 05:36
Mh, instead of connecting to the generic irc.euirc.eu, you could try a specific server like irc.ham.de.euirc.net.
How are you trying to connect? IRC Client?
You could try whether the webchat of the euirc works: http://webchat.euirc.net/
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2011-06-14 14:17
You could also try mibbit.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-06-14 00:27
Well, you could try to catch Günther in IRC, he might be able to give you a few pointers how to get the proplist interface right. Note that right now it won't be possible to implement what I sketched as-is, and I guess doing a script engine change would be an even deeper end to dive into :)

Otherwise, feel free to ask in the forum. A number of people (like me) have limited time for coding but will gladly help with general orientation in the engine source. Especially when it might make things easier for others as well.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2011-06-13 23:12
I mostly came up with scripting ideas, so Duncan would have to introduce himself to C4Script. Implementation of DirectX or the Mac port are two nice things otherwise.
- - By TLK [au] Date 2012-03-08 07:59
G'Day OpenClonk-Community,
My name is Tim, also know by my acronym TLK or my outdated nickname mOwl. I'm 17 Years old, currently staying in Australia and generally enjoying life. I have played Clonk passionately since Clonk 4. I started scripting my own scenarios with CE and I have become a pretty decent scripted ever since. For me games have always been a medium like movies or books; Clonk gave me the opportunity to script my own bit of a community created reality. My knowledge of programing is ,by guess, in comparison to most of yours pretty poor, nevertheless i'll help if i can and after all this is a great opportunity to learn.

I'm pretty multifunctional (Yeahhhh...) in regards to creative stuff. I'm playing Saxophone and Piano and ,since Clonk is a "Steam Punkt like"ish game, will try to play some Jazzy tunes as soon as i get a Saxophone. Even though my drawing skills aren't special, i know how to use Blender and could do some 3D modeling. Concept is my middle name ,or it would be if it weren't Lennart, and i already have a thousand ideas about possible features of OC.

I'm currently pretty limited on my resources , a MacBook and internet (pretty good actually in retrospective), and thus i can't do much atm.
Parent - By boni [at] Date 2012-03-08 15:52
mOwl... that name rings a bell somewhere. Just where, hmmm
Anyway, hi!
- - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-10-09 23:57
I think that you should give your longitude and latitude just kidding really why do people give away so much information. :\
I'm new here and I'm J. J. and that's all you need to know. ha ha :)
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2012-10-10 06:47

> I'm new here and I'm J. J.

Well, it is known already. http://forum.openclonk.org/user_info.pl?uid=572
No need to post at this thread.

Just kidding. Welcome to the forum anyway.

P.S. You forgot to specify your latitude and longitude.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-10 16:32
But you don't have to, if you don't want to.
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-10-10 19:32
Thanks for the welcome. :) By the way how do you select part of what someone said and have it in a lighter shade than your than your words. :\
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-10 19:40
When you have a > in front of a new line, it makes it automatically. For example ">something" (without quotation marks) becomes

>something

Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-10-10 19:42

>When you have a > in front of a new line, it makes it automatically. For example ">something" (without quotation marks) becomes

>something

Thanks. :)
- - By Anonymous [us] Date 2012-10-28 02:06
I am Michael and I am new to game programming with graphics.  I have C++ knowledge and slight knowledge in other languages.  I am excited to participate in this project.  This kind of team game is a new experience for me.  I can't wait to start programming!
Parent - - By yellaiahbhayya [in] Date 2012-11-08 13:24
I am Yellaiah from Hyderabad(India) working as vc++ developer since 2years. I have C,C++,VC++ knowledge.  I am interested to participate in this project, so that i get game programing knowledge. Can you please join me in your team.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-09 03:21
Hello Yellaiah. Glad to see you are enthusiastic about the project!

OpenClonk has a very open development model (hence the name), so there's never really an official "You're in the team!" for any of us. Getting a spot in the credits is just done by contributing to the project; for users like myself who continue to work on OC or have made massive contributions to the project, they get listed as part of the "development team".

You can clone the source-code using TortoiseHG from http://hg.openclonk.org/openclonk/. If you haven't yet, it's a good idea to play the game a bit, so that you can understand what the engine accomplishes. We also have an IRC channel on irc.euirc.net, #openclonk-dev. Other engine developers will usually be on around 20:00 GMT, but of course they may be busy. :)

Cheers
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-11-10 15:41
Welcome to the Open Clonk forum. \o/
Parent - By C. D. Date 2012-11-11 17:58
Welcome to the Open Clonk forum. \o/
- - By supdawg [ca] Date 2012-11-11 18:32
Hi im Ryan and im in 1st year engineering. I have learnt the core of programming and want to help this project in some way.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-11 19:20
Hello Ryan, and welcome to the forum. :)

You can clone the source code with Mercurial from http://hg.openclonk.org/openclonk/. There's also a guide for programmers here.

Cheers
- - By Anonymous [ca] Date 2012-11-24 06:56
Hi, 

I'm LilHunch and I would love to help with this project.  I've been wanting to gain some
real programming experience for quite some time now as well as learn some new things
about game programming! 

I have 5 years of experience programming with C++ and I've dabbled in OpenGL, quite a few
game engines, am 2 years into my own game now and I'm learning Java in University right now. 

My email is: sparkyqian@yahoo.ca

Thanks
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2012-11-24 11:16
Hi Anonymous! 2 years into your own game, you say? What is it about? You got a link? :-)
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-11-24 13:47
Welcome to the open clonk forum. :)  Feel free to sine in, if you haven't already.
- - By Milligold [us] Date 2015-10-01 00:27
Hello, my name is Sarah.  I'm a senior in college majoring in Computer Science.  I just recently found out about OpenClonk a few weeks ago when doing a search on open source games.   I was hoping to find a project that I could help with so I could develop my programming skills and learn more about game development.  I've been programming in C++ for about half a year now.  I also know Java and Python.

I started playing this game last week.  I like the mechanics, but my first impression was kind of skewed because the Clonk models were very disfigured, and I don't know if that has been affecting my game play.  I prepared some screenshots already.  I should go over to the Help forum for that, correct?
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [us] Date 2015-10-01 02:04
Welcome Sarah! With disfigured, you mean the Clonk is not being rendered correctly? Then you could also add a bug in the bugtracker and attach the screenshots to it.
Parent - - By Milligold [us] Date 2015-10-01 04:39 Edited 2015-10-01 04:48
Yes. They weren't rendering correctly.  So bring it up in the bug tracker? Okay.  Could you guide me through how I fill out the report form?  There is some technical information I'm not very familiar with.
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [us] Date 2015-10-01 14:09
You can leave most fields at what they are. What's usually important is the OpenClonk version you have and in this case maybe your operating system and graphics hardware. If someone trying to fix the problem needs more information they'll ask. Actually, before you submit the bug report, check out this one. It might be the same problem.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-10-01 07:38
Hi!

> I should go over to the Help forum for that, correct?

Either that or, as Clonk-Karl said, you could also open a bugtracker entry. If you are unsure about certain fields (I have to admit that the Mantis bugtracker is not very user-friendly in that regard..), you can also either leave them out of check whatever you deem fitting. Everything can also be changed or adjusted later!
But if you are in the field of computer science and want to collect some real-life experience, fighting with an issue tracking system is definitely part of that :D
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-10-01 10:41 Edited 2015-10-01 10:58
Hi there and welcome aboard!

About the disfigured clonks: Do you have Intel graphics? Intel graphics are broken :/
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [us] Date 2015-10-01 14:10

> About the disfigured clonks: Do you have Intel graphics? Intel graphics are broken :/

My HD 4600 works just fine...
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-10-01 14:25
Yes, a crude generalisation! On this machine I've got a HD 2000 (I guess). OC looks like this:
Parent - - By Anonymous [us] Date 2015-10-01 16:55
Yes. My laptop uses Intel.  And that screenshot precisely summarizes what was going on with the models.
Parent - By Milligold [us] Date 2015-10-01 17:03
Whoops. Forgot to log in.  My computer uses Intel HD Graphics.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2015-10-02 17:21
http://bugs.openclonk.org/view.php?id=1368 <- add any useful information here
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2015-10-02 21:09
Heyo, and welcome :)

For playing, I have to say I share the graphic bug :/ (I also use an Intel card) - hope it gets fixed soon. An older version of the game for example 6.0 (which can be downloaded here) works for me. You might want to play around with it :) - although it misses some cool new features - but it should be enough to get a good impression of the game.

If you want to get into programming: Some of us are planning to improve server availability for the US - therefore this might be a good and useful task to get into the project if you are up to it. I exchanged messages with PeterW some weeks ago. He stated that the task is fit for someone joining the project and that he will gladly answer questions regarding code infrastructure and testing.
Up Topic General / General / Personal Introductions
1 2 3 Previous Next