Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Community / Player Creations / Classic
- - By Marky [de] Date 2016-04-09 09:27
The retro version of OC has another release.

Current version: 0.3
- intended for OC 7.0
- main features:
   * basic settlement finished
   * some structures still need textures
   * 3 settlement scenarios
   * some convenience over standard OC: add construction materials with interaction key, digging with constant speed and angles locked in 5° increments

Download on CCAN
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2016-04-09 20:30 Edited 2016-04-09 20:42
Looks nice, just a few bugs/annoying thins:

* no rebuy, so you sell a shovel and lose it.
* elevator digging works strangely, why not just like in normal OC?
* lack of foundry to produce metal.
* lorry has no inventory shown.
* goal shows gold and gold.
* trees grow underground.
* goal did work but did not lead to game over.
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2016-04-10 02:01

>* goal did work but did not lead to game over.

At least there were still 16 Gold Nuggets remaining but there weren't any. I think they went into the Lorry and are not recoverable for the player.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2016-04-10 08:17
We emptied that lorry and then the goal got its gold star / green tick. But no game over happened.
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2016-04-10 02:03
In addition to Maikels post I'd also like to mention another bug: When you buy a lorry it goes into the players inventory instead of the homebase or at least standing in front of it
Parent - By Sven2 Date 2016-04-10 06:39
Buying clonks did not work. The money was lost but I got no clonk. I presume they were just in the base but not MakeCrewMember-ed?

Also, newly bought clonks should get a free shovel at start.
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2016-04-10 19:41 Edited 2016-04-11 21:28
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Some of the bugs I discovered myself, and there is ony big source for errors in the development process: I am developping this pack on the liquid_container branch for the current snapshot, but the release is aimed at OC 7.0. In order to make this possible I created an Objects.ocd in Classic.ocf that overloads the relevant objects, but there may be side effects of course.

Other bugs:
- Sky turns normal after the first night in Ashlands.ocs
- The flag is not removable from a base in the release version

Reported bugs:

>* no rebuy, so you sell a shovel and lose it.

This is an issue both in OC and Classic. I will fix it on OC.
This brought up another bug, will have to work on it more.

>* elevator digging works strangely, why not just like in normal OC?

Have to test OC digging first. In my memory the elevator would dig always drill when I press down, which is annoying when I want to stop the elevator at the bottom of a tunnel. The better option is that it starts drilling when the elevator is stopped and you press [down], if it is implemented that way anyway then I will remove the special behavior in Classic.ocf. Also, keep in mind that the previous version had its own control scheme, the different behaviour may have made more sense there.

Works exactly as in OC now.

>* lack of foundry to produce metal.

This depends on the scenario? It is lacking in Ashlands, that's for sure. If it is lacking in Mountain Range or Valley of Kings, then there is an actual bug. Added it to Ashlands nonetheless.

>* lorry has no inventory shown.

I identified a problem here, the lorry has to have a property MaxContentsCount, I have a function however.

> * goal shows gold and gold.

Noticed that, too, no idea where that comes from.

> * trees grow underground.

Will fix that.

> * goal did work but did not lead to game over.

Which scenario? Some scenarios also require you to have a certain amount of wealth. In Goldmine it worked well for me.

> In addition to Maikels post I'd also like to mention another bug: When you buy a lorry it goes into the players inventory instead of the homebase or at least standing in front of it

This is what I wrote in the CCAN description. I wanted to release version 0.3 early, and while this is annoying, it is not a very serious bug. The main reason why I did not fix this yet is because the interaction menu treats "transfer all items" and "transfer one item" differently, although both functions offer the transfer of multiple items. On the branch liquid_container I created a unit test for that and I am working at joining both versions. Only after that I want to add the transfer of vehicles and crew members to the interaction menu. This is not a use case in the normal Open Clonk, so it has a lower priority.

>Buying clonks did not work. The money was lost but I got no clonk. I presume they were just in the base but not MakeCrewMember-ed?

Will have to look at it in the release version. In my development version it works fine.

>Also, newly bought clonks should get a free shovel at start.

Yes, good point. That makes a clonk worth 10 clunkers, though (you could sell the shovel)?

Questions that I need feedback on:
- what about buildings in general? Them having doors makes little sense, not having to enter a building because of the interaction menu is a big advantage of OC. Maybe pushing a lorry into the producer and have it exit on its own again would be more convenient than opening the menu and clicking the "transfer all" button.
- what about digging in 5° increments? I found it very convenient and it was suggested in one of the milestones, too.
- what about material textures? I want to make them more similar to OC in terms of normal maps and shape maps, but keep the color scheme closer to CR. Might look strange in the long run, though.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-04-10 21:07

> The better option is that it starts drilling when the elevator is stopped and you press [down], if it is implemented that way anyway then I will remove the special behavior in Classic.ocf.

That's how it should work in OC.
Parent - - By Mupf [de] Date 2016-04-11 10:30
5° digging is very convenient, since you can easily dig staight lines but don't really lose any funcionality.
Parent - - By Armin [de] Date 2016-04-11 12:05
The 90°±5° snapping based on this poll is already in. The main reason why it is sometimes hard to notice is because digging horizontal tunnels causes little earth pixels to fall down and the Clonk sometimes goes up on them while digging and then digs earth from the ceiling...
Parent - By Maikel Date 2016-04-11 16:19
Yes, indeed. But if you really want to be precise you can go over the same area twice to get you perfect base!
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2016-04-11 13:08
I also like the constant digging speed.
Parent - By Marky [de] Date 2016-04-12 19:23
Update to 0.3.1, most of the reported bugs should be fixed. Open stuff:
- Clonks and lorries still can be collected from the hut
- Certain maps have a wealth gain and mine gold goal, which may result in the game not ending although all gold was mined
- The scenario parameters for map size do not change the size of the map, because the maps are not dynamic yet
Parent - - By Nachtfalter Date 2016-04-16 11:01
Great! This is going in the next Clonk News :)
Parent - By Marky [de] Date 2016-04-16 11:22
Thanks! Any feature wishes for the next version?
Parent - - By Nachtfalter Date 2016-04-23 18:49
Wir haben versucht damit zu spielen! Folgende Probleme:

- Tal der Könige gab immer Desync im Multiplayermoudus
- danach spielten wir Ascheland. Nach ca. 10 Minuten konnten wir nichts mehr tun, weil die Flaggen ihre Funktionalität verloren hatten (hingen aber noch an den Hütten)
- Öl brennt nicht ab, sondern die Flamme erlischt!
- Das Windrad quietscht ganz schön unangenehm
- Kein "Clonk" Sound beim reinwerfen von Zeug in die Chemiefabrik
- kaputte Bäume fällen dauert ein bisschen zu lang
- Beim Bauen bleibt der Bausatz erhalten und verschwindet nicht(?)
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2016-04-23 19:54
Danke für das Feedback!

>- Tal der Könige gab immer Desync im Multiplayermoudus

Könnt ihr dazu mehr sagen? Bezüglich Desyncs kann ich selbst keine Aussage machen, ich habe es noch nie über Netzwerk gespielt.

>- danach spielten wir Ascheland. Nach ca. 10 Minuten konnten wir nichts mehr tun, weil die Flaggen ihre Funktionalität verloren hatten (hingen aber noch an den Hütten)

Das mit den Flaggen ist merkwürdig. Wie genau äußert sich das (z.b. im Interaktionsmenü)? Was habt ihr zuvor getan? Es kann auch ein Problem sein wenn die Flaggen den Besitzer wechseln.

>- Das Windrad quietscht ganz schön unangenehm
>- Kein "Clonk" Sound beim reinwerfen von Zeug in die Chemiefabrik
>- kaputte Bäume fällen dauert ein bisschen zu lang

Hierzu, zu den anderen Problemen oben, habe ich bereits Fehler eingetragen

>- Beim Bauen bleibt der Bausatz erhalten und verschwindet nicht(?)

Das war eine Neuerungen, die ich einführen wollte. Ob es sinn macht: keine Ahnung. Jedenfalls hatte der Original-Bausatz im Vergleich zu den Zusatzpacks immer folgendes Problem: Er ist einfach nur ein zusätzlicher Kostenfaktor bei Gebäuden und der Hammer aus "Ferne Welten" hat genau den Nachteil des Verschwindens nicht. Jetzt verhalten sich beide Objekte gleich und der Bausatz ist einfach nur "Flair". Natürlich ergibt es dann nicht so viel Sinn, dass man den Bausatz nachkaufen kann.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter Date 2016-04-23 19:59

>Wie genau äußert sich das (z.b. im Interaktionsmenü)? Was habt ihr zuvor getan? Es kann auch ein Problem sein wenn die Flaggen den Besitzer wechseln.

Man kann nichts mehr kaufen und der Punkt für das Abnehmen der Flagge ist auch verschwunden. Wir hatten lediglich eine neue Hütte gebaut und die Flagge dort gesetzt. Hat auch gut funktioniert, aber nach ein paar Minuten war dann die Funktionalität weg. Ich weiß nicht ob es dafür einen spezifischen Auslöser gab. Ich glaube nicht!

>Könnt ihr dazu mehr sagen? Bezüglich Desyncs kann ich selbst keine Aussage machen, ich habe es noch nie über Netzwerk gespielt.

Leider gibt es keine Logdatei bei mir im Ordner :(
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2016-04-23 23:45
Kaufen war auch im Basenmelee von Maikel kaputt. Vielleicht ist das ein Bug in Master und nicht speziell in Classics.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2016-04-24 09:38
Dies sollte aber gefixt sein jetzt.
Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2016-04-24 11:33
Nach den Desyncs sind wir auf 7.0 gewechselt, um Probleme mit den aktuellen Snapshots auszuschließen.
Parent - By Marky [de] Date 2016-04-24 12:07
Es kann aber sein, dass (scriptseitige) Probleme aus den Snapshots mit drin sind, denn für manche Funktionen musste ich lokale die Objekte überladen (siehe Classic.ocf\Objects.ocd).
- - By Marky Date 2017-07-23 14:01
I am thinking about changing the material textures to the new OC style. What do you think?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2017-07-23 14:33
I think you shouldn't ask the OC people but rather the CR people :D

I like the OC textures more but I admit the blurry trees look a little more out-of-place on the OC earth
Parent - By Marky [de] Date 2017-07-23 14:37
The colors could be adjusted a bit, and I want to create custom trees later anyway. Later means "never" in this context xD
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2017-07-23 20:22
Was the earth in OC always this ocher? The CR earth color looks so much more farbenfroh (in a positive sense).
Parent - By Marky [de] Date 2017-07-23 20:26
The OC earth is even more darker - the earth in that screenshot was made to look more bright than the standard OC earth. The "classic" version in the picture above is much more colorful than the original CR earth. So both are different from their "role model"
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2017-07-23 21:01
For gameplay, the dark earth is really nice. It's much easier to recognize objects in the earth, as well as other materials.

E.g. pieces of loam are always a bit hard to spot in CR.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2017-07-24 19:46
Wie hat matthes(?) eigentlich die CR Texturen erstellt?
Parent - By Marky Date 2017-07-23 21:40
I created another comparison - with earth that is closer to the CR earth (above), and one with the original OC earth (below). You will notice that the OC earth is a lot darker than in the first screenshot. Also, the light earth might look good if it were less saturated and a little darker
Parent - - By Marky Date 2017-07-24 20:17
Next iteration
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2017-07-26 16:11
cool! They look very similar now, but of course the OC textures are better because of the normal maps.
Parent - By Marky [de] Date 2017-07-26 16:30
The other textures had normal maps, too, in the past, but I removed them because it looked strange. Next update hopefully this evening :)
Parent - - By Marky Date 2017-07-26 21:13
Another iteration. This time CR textures have a hopefully better fitting ore texture, the others have a version with darker earth and one with lighter rock. Added an underground screenshot, too
Parent - By Armin [de] Date 2017-07-31 07:30
mining_oc_light_rock.jpg looks very pleasing to me. I've always voted for making the earth textures brighter. :s
- - By Marky Date 2018-03-24 15:36
Hello everyone, I made a beta for testing, because I want to release version 0.4 in a week (or two). New in this version: Monsters, Wipf rescue, more scenarios. Internally the game is more streamlined now and may differ from the setup in Clonk Rage.

Needs OC 8.1, is most likely incompatible with the snapshot
Download link: https://ccan.de/cgi-bin/ccan/ccan-dl-auth.pl/6259/Classic.ocf
Bugtracker: http://ccf.striver.net/bugtrack.php?prj=1526
Parent - - By Wipfhunter [at] Date 2018-03-24 17:27
Played it a little bit. Looks really cool so far.
I really like the Monsters :)

Jumping is a bit strange, I think you tried to reimplement the fixed jump width from CR. Jumping while standing and running is ok. But if I have little space to get horizontal speed (e.g. standing on a vertical Loam Bridge), it is a bit difficult to jump far to the left/right. In my opinion pressing (Left/right + Jump) always resulting in maximum (horizontal) jump would be better.

When killing a Monster, it is a quite heavy throwing weapon. Perhaps also renaming it then to Death Monster/ Totes Monster would be better.

Is there a reason for the fixed zoom?
Parent - - By Marky Date 2018-03-24 17:59

>Jumping is a bit strange, I think you tried to reimplement the fixed jump width from CR

Yes, I changed the acceleration for jumping, but I did not want to recreate the fixed width. This can be changed to OC jumping, no problem.

>When killing a Monster, it is a quite heavy throwing weapon. Perhaps also renaming it then to Death Monster/ Totes Monster would be better.

Hmm, so the monster becomes collectible after it is dead? Must be something that it inherits from my animal libraries. Thanks for the hint, I will remove that. The dead monster does not change the definition when dying, but adding the "Dead" prefix to its name should be possible.

>Is there a reason for the fixed zoom?

The zoom is not fixed, it goes from 1.0x to 2.0x, you can change it with F5 and F6. The main reason is that certain things have un-zoomed sprite graphics, such as the trees. If you zoom in too far they will look strange. I might remove the limits once all graphics have high resolution.
Parent - By Luchs Date 2018-03-24 22:14
The limited zoom is a bit annoying on high-resolution screens because it makes everything tiny :(
Parent - - By Marky Date 2018-03-27 21:00
Updated the file on CCAN, and on Clonkspot there is an .ocu. As you can see in the bugtracker, most bugs were fixed.
Parent - - By Fulgen [at] Date 2018-03-29 15:00
Why is there a sharp s inside the version number?
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2018-03-29 16:38
I was too lazy to look up the beta-symbol, and ß was close enough for me.
Parent - - By Fulgen [at] Date 2018-03-29 17:40
As someone who learns ancient greek at school, I'm personal offended by this assumption :/ β != ß
Parent - By Marky Date 2018-03-29 19:33
Unfortunately, CCAN displayed the β character as &# :(
Parent - By Armin [de] Date 2018-10-13 16:18
The monsters are really great.

Btw. you might want to test chaning the ClonkAnimations's WalkRun to the CR-like WalkWalk and making the animation much slower. Even though the CR Clonk has the same moving speed, it doesn't look that "hectic".
Up Topic Community / Player Creations / Classic