Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Settlement Design Document, Development
1 2 Previous Next
- - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-11-15 14:30
Progress Report

No progress! Everyone's staying below the radar :(
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-11-15 17:07
On a side note: there was little progress since the last report. I finished reworking the moss. Graphic is needed. I hope my ugly one gives an impression on how it should look.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2011-11-15 17:35
Yeah, I just started my phd in Hamburg, so I have very little time or energy to do something useful, maybe in a week or two. I was thinking about maybe C4Scripting an intermediate solution to this content(and other) menu problems.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-11-16 01:15
I've got a full-time job now, so free-time is in very short supply. :[
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-11-16 06:57
Oh, you are done with your studies already?
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-11-16 23:46
Heh, not quite. I'll be returning to college in January.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-11-16 13:48
Meh! Congrats, what are you doing?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-11-16 23:47
Movie-theatre work. :V
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-11-17 00:54
Oh. Thought it might be awesome rendering stuff. But, uhm, yeah...nice, I suppose?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-11-17 11:02
The job is dead easy and I get a very reasonable pay, so quite nice. :)
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2011-11-17 14:58
But think of the costs! Clonk is dead, too!
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-11-17 18:05
/o\
- - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-02-02 23:26
Fancy pic!
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-02-03 00:20
I am still all for weaving lichen into cotton!

Fancy pic, nevertheless!
- - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-07-16 14:54 Edited 2012-07-16 14:56
I added a new repos branch: Settlement

This branch is to implement and test all settlement related parts which are planned but in the last year of developed received no final attention in terms of graphic.

The purpose of the branch is to have things ready as soon as someone finishes the respective model. Also to motivate people to finish the model since the gameplay mechanic is already done or in testing. It also enables scripters to work at stuff without the tedious wait for graphic designers.

I started by adding almost all of the missing structures (except for the Spinning Wheel): Armory, Chemical Lab, Kitchen, Inventor's Lab and Shipyard.

The idea is that as soon as the models for a production line are done, one needs only to cherry-pick the changesets related to the respective objects. For this it is necessary to very carefully choose your committ message. Please make sure that one changesets only includes stuff that is either standalone or only dependent on changesets of the same category. Just have a look at the initial committ I did to get the notion. Preceding the message there is always a category to make sure to which objects the changesets is in relation to.

Feel free to implement everything from the DD in this branch and just use some placeholder graphics.

The tasks that are finished in the Settlement branch are marked in red in the DD.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-07-16 16:33
I suggest doing everything that is not experimental in default, like we did in the past. If we need a branch with cherry-picked changesets for a stable release version, we should use a branch for that (like we did in the past).
The repository is mainly for developing. We should really not put that into another branch only that we can have a stable "default" branch - if that even is your reason.
If you want sane dev snapshots, we should configure them to use a certain branch (even if I think they abould be as up-to-date as possible).
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-07-16 16:38
If that's the major opinion, I have no problem with merging. And yes, I wanted to keep the dev snapshot sane ;)
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-07-16 16:47
Ah, okay. At least I understand your motivation now
:)
ck, is it possible to create the snapshots from a different branch?

(if we want it, that is. I would vote for having unfinished stuff in the snapshot just to get more testers. But if the majority doesn't, that would be fine with me.)
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-07-16 18:17
Ah, now that I thought about it: My second intention was to not interfere with the "we need to release soon" plan that's floating around in the past weeks/months.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-07-16 21:24
I would still opt for "If we need a release version, we should create it". Like we (mostly Guenther?) did in the last releases: Have a branch for the release and merge important stuff into that branch. Also ideal for later bugfixes.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2012-07-16 21:30
Settlement development should happen in default. Unfinished graphics etc. are no problem - we are not trying to fool anyone that OpenClonk is a finished product. It would be discouraging for contributors.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-07-16 21:37
But I strongly agree with the motivational push of Clonkonaut. We should just get stuff done, even if we only have placeholder graphics :)
If someone needs some placeholder (really placeholder!) and has no idea how the blender exporter works, I would quickly export/model placeholders
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2012-07-16 23:51
I think there should be rather one branch for each feature, so that eventually they can be merged separately to the default branch when they are mature enough.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-07-17 00:18
Alright, I'm gonna merge Settlement into default tomorrow.
- - By Clonkonaut Date 2015-09-18 19:15
Four years in development but with today's push of the cotton plant I can finally say that the settlement development as it had been described in the Design Document is over. Hooray!

(over but not finished?)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-09-18 22:11
Wow, that must be quite the amazing cotton plant if it took four years to develop!!!
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2015-09-19 00:33
Yes, quite impressive!
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Settlement Design Document, Development
1 2 Previous Next