Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Needed Models and Textures - A Compiled List
1 2 Previous Next
- - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-09-25 23:40 Edited 2016-06-20 20:38
This is a compiled list of every piece of art we still need for OpenClonk.
If you don't want to do the full blown models, but rather sketches or another part of the work feel free to do so.

If you have questions, or new requests, feel free to ask them here or create a new thread.

Not yet done:

* plus / minus / infinity symbols (icons) for production <thread>
* light/papery background (menu decoration) for interaction menu <post>
* Basement (model) <thread>
* WallKit

Need Improvement:

* Inventor's Workshop (texture) <thread>
* Lichen (2d graphics) <thread>
* Accumulator (new model) <thread>
* Gold Idol (new model) <thread>
* Ship Yard (texture)
* Loom/Spinning Wheel (new model? or texture) <thread>

Would be nice:

* Trees (currently we only have one type of tree: the coniferous. We could need some "normal" trees.) <post>
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-09-29 20:41

> * Ashes / Fly Ashes (textures) <thread>

I already made a texture a couple of months ago
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-09-29 22:21
Okay, removed - I only scanned through all the threads in the arts section
Parent - By Andriel Date 2012-09-30 09:17
For the Inventor's Lab, Fungiform said he had a sketch: http://forum.openclonk.org/forum_search.pl?words=inventors+lab
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-09 07:05
The inventor's workshop also now needs a texture, and I probably don't have the time/patience to make one right now. >_>
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-03-01 11:41
Added:
* plus / minus / infinity symbols
* papery / pergament menu decoration
Parent - - By Foaly [de] Date 2015-03-23 17:16
I'd do something, but as far as I can see from all those threads, there's discussion about what to do exactly, so I'm not sure what to do (eg. the Gold Idol).

I could do the plus / minus / infinity symbols, if I knew what they should look like.
And how? 3D models? And if, should they share one texture or one texture each?
Or 2D pre-rendered?

Or are there any buildings to do?
Is someone still working on the Inventor's Workshop?
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-03-23 17:32
Cool: the +- and infinity symbol should look like the numbers, click on the links in this list to see the graphics. So they need to be 2D pre-rendered.

The Loom is still missing, but I don't know what needs to be done there.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-03-23 18:22
I noticed today that we have an "infinity" symbol there already. But that is just the number 8 rotated by 90° and doesn't really look nice, to be honest (maybe due to the perspective/missing symmetry?). So I guess we could replace the existing symbol with a new one :)
Parent - - By Foaly [de] Date 2015-03-24 14:24
Well, I think it would be easier for the person who already did the other icons, because the setup is there already
It would me take some time, to create these icons so they look consistent.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-03-24 14:45
That might be true, but I suspect this person has left our team, the blend file for those numbers seems to be in this list.
Parent - By Matthias [de] Date 2015-03-24 15:10
I just checked, there are at least two different sets of number icons. There are those which are used in Graphics.ocg for scenario icons and there are numbers in Objects.ocd/Icons.ocs/.
The first set is in numbers.blend, but the camera setup is just wrong. The way the icons are arranged, you'd have to manually adjust the cam for '10', '+' and '-'. There is virtually no way to ever get the "same" icons again from that file because even the initial cam setup is not correct for any of the icons.
The second set I have no idea about it's source files, sorry. I suspect it's actually someones Cinema4D-file or something that is lost by now. Also, the "4" icon looks like there is some clipping, so maybe its not recommendable to insist on using those further.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2015-03-24 16:02
Well, one would think so. However, I just clicked through all the blend files of the icons and there is next to no consistency at all.
In fact, it's kind of an unmitigated disaster. There is indeed a batch of icons from the same author, but even all of those use a different light setup. Another file aggregates a lot of icons, but also includes multiple cameras all over the place and several conditional lights. There is a lot of layer juggling going on in these files. Some files duplicate objects with different states, some use the animation system. There's the oddities and missing files mentioned above, and some more missing textures make the picture complete. Almost all of those files seem to have been created with some rather old version of blender which, unsurpringly, does not help.
I'm sorry and kind of embarassed to tell you that there is no sensible starting point or reference for making those icons. You could go ahead and create a new project for the ingame number icons and remake them from scratch. Considering the problems above, it might be a good idea to create some reusable light setup for this. Redoing them in a vector program would also work, I guess.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-03-24 16:11

> Redoing them in a vector program would also work, I guess.

Which is probably a lot simpler and easier for such simple 2D icons.
Parent - By Matthias [de] Date 2015-03-24 16:16
Yes, and given the size of the graphics and their use, it might yield much more reable results.
Parent - - By Foaly [de] Date 2015-03-24 16:22
Okay, I redid the numbers to look about what they look currently.
Simple .blend file, just press render animation. Made with Blender 2.50+
here
It uses the compositor and also fades out at the edges. (The current ones sometimes have hard edges because of the shadow)
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2015-03-24 17:22
Maybe I'm missing something, but why are the numbers 1-10 and not 0-9? Shouldn't we have 0-9 and compose larger numbers?
Parent - By Foaly [de] Date 2015-03-24 17:38
Updated. Same link.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-03-24 20:45
nice :D
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-03-30 11:51
In order to use it for OpenClonk, the contribution has to be licensed under the CC-BY license. If you want to do that, it would be enough to put something like
"I hereby license the attached file under the CC-BY license."
Into your post (and possibly attach the file instead of linking to it, not sure whether that's necessary?)

Then I could put it into the game :)
Parent - - By Foaly [de] Date 2015-03-30 15:56
Well, I'm not sure whether that works. I'd even license it CC0, but
What about the font? I think the Blender BFont can be used without any restrictions, but I had to use another font too, because it didn't contain a infinity symbol.
I used a font called "FangSong", dunno, it looked good. In file detail, there's a copyright to "Beijing ZhongYi Electronics Co."
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-03-30 19:15
Mh, I guess we need a font that either allows completely free derivative works or at least derivative works under a license compatible with the CC-BY. Knowing the copyright holder does not suffice :/
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2015-03-30 21:27
I think at least by US copyright law typeface has an explicit exception that is not copyrightable.

However, there's a long Wikipedia article about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property_protection_of_typefaces
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-03-30 19:17
Mh, I guess we need a font that either allows completely free derivative works or at least derivative works under a license compatible with the CC-BY. Knowing the copyright holder does not suffice :/

PS:
I guess the simplest is to look for a font with a compatible license directly on the internet or just use our Endeavour at least for the numbers :)
Parent - - By Foaly [de] Date 2015-04-01 09:02 Edited 2015-06-06 07:48
I hereby license the files in this .zip folder under the CC0 license.

The fonts used are:
- The Blender BFont
- Webly Sleek (from <http://www.dafont.com/de/weblysleek-ui.font>, licensed GPL/OFL)

Same download link.
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2015-04-01 09:08
OFL looks fine.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-04-04 09:44
"...you may include an embedded subset of the fonts in your document. Such use does not require you to include this license or other files (listed in OFL condition 2), nor does it require any type of acknowledgement within the publication." (Source)

Yes, looks good!

I can not make sense of the BFont license, which does not talk about derivative works at all, just about the Font Software (=the font file + documentation etc.)...
I assume it's completely fine to use that font without crediting in a prominent place, though? Anyone wiser than me?
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-06-01 11:12
Would you also add a Σ and a #, which could be useful denotions of sum/total and number of.
Parent - - By Foaly [de] Date 2015-06-06 07:50
Done. Same download link.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-06-06 08:16
Cool, Zapper where did you put these numbers?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-06-06 12:14
In the resource repository, where they belong :)

In Objects.ocd, they are in Icons/Number (Controls branch)
Parent - By Newton [tr] Date 2015-03-23 17:55
For the inventor's workshop, only a texture is missing. Noone is working on that.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-04-01 10:40
If you are also interested in drawing goal and rule icons like this

Then I can compile a list of the missing ones.
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2015-04-01 11:32
Btw, I don't like the grayscale drawing design at all. It is not salient, doesn't fit any of the other design elements (despite being very prominent in the UI) and the more complex goals are difficult to describe well without color.

I wonder if we could come up with an alternative design.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2015-04-01 12:41
Agreed, maybe that would be a nice and small project for someone new.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2015-04-01 20:51
I like it actually, drawings fit to the bit more sloppy-steampunk look.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2015-04-01 22:10
Yeah maybe, but the rest of the game isn't really steampunkish.

Also, it should have high contrast, i.e. true black lines. Like it's written in ink; not with a pen. Then maybe you could recognize it.
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2015-04-02 20:01

>steampunkish

Well some elements, like the inventors lab, the dynamite and the gun. I still like those steampunk elements the most (from a design perspective).

> Like it's written in ink; not with a pen

Ink would surely look good as well.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-04-01 21:28
What about using three colours instead of a b/w drawing! Here, I made a high quality sketch to further stress the importance more colours!
Attachment: TriColore.jpg - More colours always gud (14k)
Parent - - By Foaly [de] Date 2015-04-01 21:07
I can do that, once you tell me in which style they should be.
I already have some experience with Blender so I can do it in a 3d style.
I also began drawing 1.5 months ago, so I could do such simple sketch-style pencil drawings. (If someone gave me that paper background.)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-04-01 21:30
You can find it in our resource repository.

It's also available online, here: https://git.openclonk.org/openclonk-resources.git/tree/HEAD:/graphics
Parent - By Maikel Date 2015-04-01 21:59
Yes use the parchment from there, with 128 x 128 px and not some 64 x 64 px.

I will make a list of the missing ones tomorrow.
Parent - - By Foaly [de] Date 2015-04-02 11:27
I've created 3 goal icons: Deathmatch, Construction and Resource.
here

If you want to use them: I hereby license the attached files under the CC0 license.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2015-04-02 14:08
Cool! I will definitely add them to the game.
Parent - - By Foaly [de] Date 2015-04-02 15:32
Script and Expansion goal icons added. Same link.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2015-04-02 18:08
Thanks a lot, they have been added, I chose the darker ones, whenever you made two.
Parent - Date 2015-03-24 17:24
Parent - By Armin [de] Date 2015-04-15 14:35
I'd like to request a normal tree (deciduous). Maybe with a few variants. Clonk Rage had 3. All three visible on this screen http://clonk.de/gallery/cr/melees_minor.jpg

>* Construction site sign (2d graphics) bugtracker entry

The bug is solved.
Parent - - By Foaly [de] Date 2015-04-22 16:22
I just have a question:
Does this list contain the stuff from here?
For example, I did not find the big mushroom on the git (maybe I just didn't find it).
Or won't everything of that list be implemented?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-04-22 19:28
The list here only contains things where someone was actively working on at some point and actually requested the graphics. I have no idea how up-to-date the wiki page ist.

The large cave mushroom is in the resource repository under models/Decoration/large_cave_mushroom. I guess we don't have a subfolder for vegetation yet :)
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Needed Models and Textures - A Compiled List
1 2 Previous Next